CPW Commission is proposing ALL DRAW for elk

They should go every unit and season draw and require min 3 PP (regardless of residency to have a name in the hat just like sheep/moose/goat).

They should go 80/20 on residency tag break down and any tag left over should be available OTC but at NR price.

They should go every unit and season draw and require min 3 PP (regardless of residency to have a name in the hat just like sheep/moose/goat).

They should go 80/20 on residency tag break down and any tag left over should be available OTC but at NR price.
Not trolling, honestly curious why would you want PPs ?????????

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
Any idea as to why the commissioner wants this to be addressed before the 5 year Big game structure?

It’s been said a few times, but I think OTC resident and draw non resident would be a good start

This is coming from a nonresident who has hunted a 1 point archery unit once for context

Kurts86

WKR
I hope they go to 100% draw. It’s overdue, they are the last true OTC elk tag option and that doesn’t work anymore given the demand.

They keep slowly cutting OTC units and degrading hunt quality in the remaining area while every other state has gone to some form of draw (Idaho is effectively a draw now).

I think you will be surprised by how many people won’t enter a draw instead of OTC even with the same quotas. This will force people to burn their PP’s as well which is a good thing in the long run.

Not trolling, honestly curious why would you want PPs ?????????
Let me rephrase, just make it min 2-3 pt apply to draw. If every one wants less pressure, make it where you can only hunt every two-three years per species unless you can find Left over tags. Make all Left over tag NR price to help alleviate the funding losses of eliminating OTC.

Why not? Almost every unit CO has changed to draw in the last 5 years has left over tags every year. This way you can atleast get some of the lost NR revenue back from both residents and NR

bluumoon

WKR
I'm applying in WY and MT this year. I'd appreciate a similar setup for residents here in CO. Allow residents to hunt rifle and add on archery season option if they wish as general tag/OTC. NR go to a capped draw system for general tag, plus or minus archery for them in units with herd #s at objective.

sndmn11

WKR
As a NR, I feel a reasonable step would be to go all draw for NR before going all draw for everyone. They can use that as a template to go all draw for everyone if just limiting NR doesn't move the needle enough.
I somewhat agree, but I think in this hypothetical plan I'd like to see OTC tags be limited to DAUs rather than statewide. I'd also like to see those take a preference point.

Essentially your options would be as a resident:
1) draw first choice loss all points
2) draw second choice or below, or anything in the secondary draw, lose no points
3) Purchase OTC license in specific DAU lose a point
4) Play the leftover/reissue game and lose no points

I also think it would be cool if those OTC tags incorporated archery season and fourth rifle season.

LostArra

WKR
Going to a draw does not necessarily reduce crowding if the allocation of tags in a unit is unreasonably high. A Colorado unit I used to hunt went from OTC to draw recently and apparently it was still a Wal Mart parking lot at the trailheads because they gave so many tags in the drawing. A draw does give the commission the ability to limit tags but will they?

Gerbdog

WKR
Going to a draw does not necessarily reduce crowding if the allocation of tags in a unit is unreasonably high. A Colorado unit I used to hunt went from OTC to draw recently and apparently it was still a Wal Mart parking lot at the trailheads because they gave so many tags in the drawing. A draw does give the commission the ability to limit tags but will they?
history... for whatever that is worth.... they (CPW) usually have super high tag allocations for the units they convert from OTC to a point unit, and then after a couple years of data on how many people want to hunt it / points spent on it / they adjust the tag allocations

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
But, but, think of the influencers! How will they (pretend to) make a living without producing “DIY, public land, OTC” content while building points?

They will just continue to hunt the same private land with landowner tags and say they were DIY/Public land hunting...

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to see Colorado go all draw. Then again, after 2018 I swore I would never hunt an OTC tag in Colorado ever again...

Any idea as to why the commissioner wants this to be addressed before the 5 year Big game structure?
Hopefully it's because overcrowding during hunting seasons and Elk population management are important enough issues to warrant action being taken by the Commission sooner than later.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
history... for whatever that is worth.... they (CPW) usually have super high tag allocations for the units they convert from OTC to a point unit, and then after a couple years of data on how many people want to hunt it / points spent on it / they adjust the tag allocations
This is what will happen. Nebraska had been getting crowding complaints and so they capped the NR tags but used the previous seasons tag sales for that cap number. CPW is likely going to sell the same number of tags in the end.

Overdrive

WKR
I don't think areas of the State will see a reduction in crowding, the first few years CPW will have lots of licenses available until they get a threshold of consistent numbers of people applying to those areas. But I've never felt crowded hunting OTC or 2nd choice applications.

What you may see is a few choose not to apply because of the qualifying license required for the drawing, CPW is making extra there for sure.

There are plenty of units that aren't worth 3pp. Most of the OTC units aren't even worth 1 pp.