Colorado OTC NON RESIDENT

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
Alright guys,
I would appreciate input from anyone who has done this. Resident or non resident. OTC ELK in Colorado. Realistically, within a week on public land and in the OTC units can a man Kill a bull elk over 250 inches? And if he can, is he the man who trekked In the furthest and hunted the longest. Or was he smart and knows where the elk hold up in the small drainages between all the human activity?

Or a little bit of both and some luck? Which have you personally had success with the most with bulk elk over 250.

I have my own opinions on this and have spent time in areas NOT in Colorado where I have witnessed the activity of these elk. But would like some feedback.

I have never hunted Colorado and I will be hunting Colorado this fall.

🤙🤙🤙🤙

Yes that is realistic. There will be some luck involved but hard work pays off too. You do not have to be the 10 miles back. Have fun and the hunt takes care of itself.

Mosby

WKR
I normally take one of my nephews to Colorado and in the last 4 years both of them have shot bulls over 250. My brother missed one and I passed on one during that same time frame. We only hike a couple of miles and found an area that holds elk and seldom see other hunters. We found it by scouting it on a whim before opening day. We were planning on hunting a completely different area the first year there. We were lucky to find it but I also spent weeks learning the area, talking to locals, going through maps and scouting. You will get out of it what you put into it.

Last year was my first year and I’d have to say both, we found some that you had to hike a few miles for but we also found some that were within a mile of some roads in 3 out of 4 directions. In my opinion you just need to be able to pick the good spots on a map and eliminate them on foot. And be willing to leave what you anticipated as the good spot if the sign isn’t there

cnelk

WKR
Here are a couple 270"+ bulls my son and I killed - no more than 300yds from the truck - Colorado OTC public land.

And lots of raghorns and cows

yd0WgM4.jpg

mFrhxjz.jpg

Defiantly possible. We try to stay pretty mobile till we find the sign we are looking for and hunt/look as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's very possible, but which season are you asking about? Archery or one of the rifle seasons?

During archery I shot one less than 1/4 mile from the truck and my furthest was a 308" bull almost 5 miles from the truck.

OP
Wildatheart

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
It's very possible, but which season are you asking about? Archery or one of the rifle seasons?

During archery I shot one less than 1/4 mile from the truck and my furthest was a 308" bull almost 5 miles from the truck.
I’m talking about any of the seasons, I would prefer one of the Rifle seasons for sure. I’m thinking the 2nd. And I would imagine I would want to be there during Rut?

sgnading

FNG
I'm in the same situation as well. I'm going either the first or second week of September for an archery OTC hunt. Curious if it is better to find a water hole and camp out or is it better to make laps and try to cover as much ground as possible? Where is the best place to go to find knowledgable locals? Gas stations?

cnelk

WKR
"Where is the best place to go to find knowledgable locals?"

Bring some cash and head to the nearest small town bar mid-week of the 2nd week, you'll recognize hunters in there.
Strike up a conversation, buy them some beers, shut up, and the info will start flowing.

Dont ask how I know, Ive just spent some money in some bars :)

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
Curious if it is better to find a water hole and camp out or is it better to make laps and try to cover as much ground as possible?

In the units I hunt there is water everywhere, so sitting water is pretty futile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
The only way I’m shooting a 250” bull is if it is the first legal elk that gives me a shot. I’ve hunted the same unit for 6 seasons and find bulls most days. With that said, I’ve only seen 3 bulls over 250”. Maybe I’m hunting in the nursery or am only good enough to find young bulls, but I think setting your sights on a 250” otc bull the first time you step in a unit may be a little bit of stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Awesome!! Now just pm me the coordinates to that location 🤪

Coordinates? Well I’m just looking for the unit and general area, so he should have no problem posting that on the forum. I’m not looking for honey holes you know, just a consistent shot at a 270 class bull in an OTC unit within 300 yards of the truck. Not a honey hole.