What’s the best alternative to the 156 Berger?

Best alternative to 156 Berger?

• 153gr A-tip

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • 150gr SMK

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 150gr ABLR

• 147gr ELD-m

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • 143gr ELD-X

• Total voters

Trogon

WKR
Im starting loading on a new 6.5-284 and undecided on bullet. I was planning to go with the 156 Berger but have yet to find any after months of searching. There are a few other big 6.5’s, any one have any experience they can offer?

Will be used for all hunting big to small. Short to far. Bonus points for higher BC, lower cost, and availability.

7.5tw barrel

Last edited:

CMP70306

WKR
depending on the twist I would shy away from the 147gr ELDM and 153 Atip, quite a number of people are having issues with them blowing up in flight.

Of the list 147 eldm. Gunwerks has had a ton of success with the 168 gr Vld but but idk if it’s the hunter or target version. You could call and ask them

I shoot the 153gr A-Tip in a lightweight 6.5CM. It’s going 2645, I have not had any terminal performance problems. The rifle is fairly new.

Availability has been good. I was able to shop for prices and bought well over a 1000.
Very good BC.
It’s an incredibly consistent, match grade bullet.
Very good accuracy.
They’re expensive.

As far as performance, I hunted with the rifle the last week of the MT 2021 season. My youngest and I shot a WT and Mulie. In 2022, my son shot a raghorn, I put the finishing shot into my bull at about 100yds, I shot another mulie and then about a week ago I shot a boar javelina. Performance has been good, no tracking has been needed, but obviously not dozens of kills either.

I also load for my son’s high school buddy. He’s killed 4 bulls, 4 mulies and 3 bears with his in the last 4 seasons. 143gr ELD-X in a 6.5CM. I found them without too much trouble. Obviously a very popular choice. None of his animals have turned into tracking expeditions.

Disclaimer… The furthest shot out any of these was my mulie at 310yds. Every shot was either behind the shoulder, behind the shoulder and clipping part of the blade, and my boy put one in a deer’s neck at 125yds.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Not listed but I’ve been very impressed with the 142g LRAB in my 264 Win mag. I’ve found the ELD-X to be too fragile IMO; tired of finding just the jacket and stopped using them in everything.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
depending on the twist I would shy away from the 147gr ELDM and 153 Atip, quite a number of people are having issues with them blowing up in flight.
This was an issue about 3 years ago but I haven't heard of it for a couple of years now. I just finished up a box of 2700 147s and never had an issue... Don't over twist and you will be good to go!

OP
Trogon

Trogon

WKR
This was an issue about 3 years ago but I haven't heard of it for a couple of years now. I just finished up a box of 2700 147s and never had an issue... Don't over twist and you will be good to go!

Im running 7.5tw

Last edited:

Flyjunky

WKR
Im starting loading on a new 6.5-284 and undecided on bullet. I was planning to go with the 156 Berger but have yet to find any after months of searching. There are a few other big 6.5’s, any one have any experience they can offer?

Will be used for all hunting big to small. Short to far. Bonus points for higher BC, lower cost, and availability.

7.5tw barrel
Don’t give up yet on the 156. Supposedly they will be making a run of those in the next few months.

I was shooting some 147’s the other day and believe I had one blow up mid flight. I was shooting at 100 yards and there is only one hole on the target.

Unless the other shot went thru the first shot so perfect that I couldn’t tell. Kind of made me nervous to keep using them in hunting situation

mtnbound

WKR
I have shot hundreds of 147 ELDM’s and ELDX’s and have never had one blow up in flight. Over spinning any bullet can result in damage and there’s always a chance of a bullet having something structurally wrong from the factory but those instances are few and far between. There are alot of shooters on RS that who use ELDM’s if there was an actual problem with them there would be a 500 page post bitching about it.

I have shot hundreds of 147 ELDM’s and ELDX’s and have never had one blow up in flight. Over spinning any bullet can result in damage and there’s always a chance of a bullet having something structurally wrong from the factory but those instances are few and far between. There are alot of shooters on RS that who use ELDM’s if there was an actual problem with them there would be a 500 page post bitching about it.
Yea forsure. It’s in an 8 twist Going around 2900 fps. So don’t think it was over twisted. But im pretty sure it blew up. This was two shots. One hit and one blew up I’m pretty sure. Don’t think it was that perfect of two in one hole.

Attachments

• IMG_5922.jpeg
    IMG_5922.jpeg
    450.3 KB · Views: 5
Yea forsure. It’s in an 8 twist Going around 2900 fps. So don’t think it was over twisted. But im pretty sure it blew up. This was two shots. One hit and one blew up I’m pretty sure. Don’t think it was that perfect of two in one hole.
Push the cardboard back in flush from the backside and then see what it looks like.

SMKs are unreliable for hunting IME resulting in slow deaths and long runs.

ELD-Murder, enough said. I prefer them over the ablr and eldx in terminal performance.

ATips seem to be unreliable in wounding but some people have said they have had success with it.