College Help

wyodan

WKR
If I could do it again tomorrow, I would've been on a plane the day after HS graduation to work for an outfitter or at a lodge in Alaska. Then come October I would've found another job and started piling up money while gaining life experience. Repeat for a couple of years and hunt and fish as much as possible in between. Jobs like those are great for the outdoor types, and you're meeting new clients every day (mostly very successful in their career) that will open your mind to a potential future career you've likely never even heard of. Find a job like this: https://www.pbadventures.com/employment (that one is probably already taken)

There's a whole other thread (Texas Gun Laws) talking about what is an adult. We're asking kids with zero life experience outside of their parent's house to make a $60,000 commitment to what they want to do for the rest of their life. Most college kids can't even decide on their favorite beer. This is why we're seeing shortages in the workforce. The younger generations are quitting and changing jobs because they're not happy with the career they thought they wanted when they were 18 and not willing to tie themselves to that unhappiness for 40 years like generations before. It's also a huge factor in this student loan mess we have with kids going to school for 7 years and changing majors 4 times.

If I had an eighteen year old, I would recommend to them to gain some life experience and then decide on a career and school. I would have a conversation about the money you've saved for them and set a very strict work and life standard and timeline for them to receive it in the future to keep them motivated and on task/schedule. (I apologize for the unsolicited advice. But it checks his box on gaining adventure and experience while young without throwing your money away on a school that's not the right fit)
Agree, and I wouldn't push them towards college. Lots of other opportunities that I believe can be a better living and more job satisfaction.

Catchfish

WKR
I would have to agree I attended UAA in anchorage and have a bio degree to show for it. Hunting can be difficult to do on weekends and nearly impossible daily from Anchorage. I was able to take courses in the afternoons so I could duck hunt in the mornings. Also could hike up the chugach and hunt ptarmigan and hare numbers were up so they were doable.
There are species to hunt but even growing up here and having that knowledge the time it takes to go on these adventures makes it more difficult. I moved out after college so my wife could finish her degree. I did not start my career right away, I took work that afforded me to pay for our living and time to hunt a lot.
Unsure of his direction in school, but summer employment in Alaska might be an option for him and still get in on some great fishing. Possible internships up here when he has focused more on a career path. He has time after college to move here and have experiences.
If you have any specific questions feel free to pm as well.

Other things for him to consider is he won’t have the benefits of being home.

Animal processing is expensive unless you do it yourself?
Hard to do that in a dorm?
Big game storage after the hunt, if he is lucky enough to harvest how is he going to store it and where?
Hunting needs some equipment again this can be difficult to store up here and expensive as well to keep it secured.

Last edited:
So, to be exactly opposite what you're asking, going to school for a future profession shouldn't be based on hunting opportunity. It should be based on several other factors like program of interest, job placement, etc.

But, to get back on topic, how many days hunting is he planning on? That can greatly depend on what he wants out of an education. Otherwise, trade school to get it over with and start earning money earlier on so he can hunt more.
I’d disagree…

My Dad told me to do exactly what you are saying. I stayed in Ohio… Next thing I know, I’ve got a job, a family, and I’m more or less trapped.

I wish I would’ve not listened and went west for College. One of the biggest regrets of my life.

College is the best time in your life to move. You will likely stay wherever you go. It gets much harder to move after you get established in a career.

ColoradoV

WKR

Skyhawk grad here. Took just about a decade Durango will do that = well worth it..

If ya can’t hunt and fish around these 2 well……

wytx

WKR
He would not get any resident consideration for licenses in Wyoming unless he becomes a resident officially.
From WG&F website:

Students​

Wyoming residents who attend an institution of higher education outside of Wyoming may maintain residency for purchasing resident hunting, fishing, trapping licenses, and preference points as long as they meet all of the following requirements:

• The person must pay nonresident or non-differential tuition fees;
• The person does not claim residency elsewhere for any other purpose (such as, but not limited to, voting, payment of state income taxes, purchase of resident hunting or fishing licenses, etc.).

A nonresident person who attends school in Wyoming may establish residency if:

• The person is domiciled in Wyoming for one (1) full year (365 days) immediately preceding the date of making application for or purchasing a license; and
• The person makes no claim of residency elsewhere for any other purpose during that one (1) year period.

I’d disagree…

My Dad told me to do exactly what you are saying. I stayed in Ohio… Next thing I know, I’ve got a job, a family, and I’m more or less trapped.

I wish I would’ve not listened and went west for College. One of the biggest regrets of my life.

College is the best time in your life to move. You will likely stay wherever you go. It gets much harder to move after you get established in a career.

Guess I don't follow since either option, college or trade school, does not require you to stay anywhere.

The point to my post is don't make a lifelong lasting decision based on a few short years of doing without a luxury event, aka, hunting.

The best time to move and settle west is when you're young after you've set yourself up for life...

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
One of my favorite quotes - “And then there is the most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later”

Pick a school that meets both criteria of a great program in the field you want to go into, and in an area that allows you to do what you love. I hunted almost daily and every weekend all through college, worked my butt off and got my degree and a great job. I actually had better grades in the fall and 100% attributed it to a clear mind from so much fresh air and outdoor time with buddies. At that age every student is gonna be spending time with friends and doing things besides studying. Mine as well be in a place you can do what you love in that spare time.

idahodave

WKR
If it has the field your son is looking into, University of Idaho is freaking spectacular for hunting/fishing opportunities. I graduated from there in the late 90s, and my son (Rowdy) is a junior there at the moment. He's been hammering ducks, geese, turkeys, and deer since he arrived. I did the same while I went to school up there.

They've also caught a loooot of fish along the way.

Dave

gabenzeke

WKR
We had a good talk last night about a few options. Mainly being that Alaska really is probably not a great weekend/day hunt state and that a lot of things he wants to do will require boat/plane travel. That adds up pretty quickly. But he makes a great argument: when else in his life is he going to be able to do this. Even a good paying job the likely hood is that many of the Alaskan animals will be unattainable for non residents moving forward for someone just starting out.
I got him to think about maybe a lower 48 for college and have the ability to hunt and fish during winter and summer breaks. Easier for weekend hunts. His family could come see him more often. And after that he could work his way up to Alaska and work there a few years and chase the hunts he is looking for.
He more than likely will have to be in a Western State for a tuition exchange. We have talked about debt and cost. He knows it makes no sense to go in debt and get a degree that is useless.
As far as scholarship more than likely that will not happen. He has great grades and is very smart but academic scholarship are not something we are planning on. If it happens great. He knows he will have to attend a JC and work to save up money. My wife and I have a college plan for each kid but it does require them to work and follow the suggestions we make. If they want to go out on their own great but it will be on their own. I am not paying two years of undergrad class for him to just go a 4 year university.
I actually like where is head is in his planning for the most part. I think being young and not tied down is a prefect time to explore the world. There is enough time to settle down and make money. He is a smart kid he will do well in work when the time is needed. He also knows that money and time are going to be needed down the road to keep doing the things he wants.
Personally, I feel like the trades are better than college, but it doesn't sound like that's what he wants to do. I would think Alaska would make more sense if he intends to live there after school. Might be able to make connections for a career after graduation. Otherwise I'd vote for Montana or south Dakota state. I know people that went to both of those and did just as much hunting as they did studying.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I survived a top 5 engineering program. During none of my fall semesters would I have had the time to hunt.

Crusader

WKR
I survived a top 5 engineering program. During none of my fall semesters would I have had the time to hunt.
No doubt there are certain academic institutions and degree programs/fields which are not conducive to a lifestyle of daily and weekend hunting and fishing, or other hobbies that take up a lot of free time.

Depends on what he wants to hunt. I'm in grad school at Texas A&M and I hunt hogs and coyotes at least 2x a week on some local ranches that I've made friends with through my church.

College was a great time for my hunting and fishing. I hunted more during college than I ever did before. And more than I’ve hunted since then. All those saying bear down and sacrifice hunting for it, must have went to college along ways from hunting grounds.

I partied my fair share with friends that were doctors, lawyers, nurses, dentists, etc…. Their classes were no harder than mine. And, everyone always had plenty of time to party. So, if he’s interested in hunting, there will be plenty of time for that while still maintaining the grades. Being he has transportation and the desire to do so.

Tell him to find a school that offers his major, with a good program, and find hunting opportunities surrounding his choice. Unless along ways from hunting ground, he will have plenty of time to accomplish his hunting objectives.

Unckebob

WKR
If he is interested in any profession that involves ranching or Agriculturel, he should look at Tarleton State in Texas.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I traveled globally while working and going to school. Wouldn’t trade it for anything, big awesome world out there.

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
As someone who graduated from a college in the states you're mentioning.... if he gets a degree that pays well instead of wasting time and racking up debt he will have to apply himself. In doing so, he will have little to no time to hunt. Nearly half of my class loved hunting and we have big game hunting within 30 minutes of campus. In fact, deer would walk around on campus sometimes and I actually went to calculus class holding my waiders and fly gear because I walked to the river and fished afterwards. All that being said, only 1 of the 50+ kids who said they like hunting actually had the time to go. As cool as it is, he likely won't have time

Find out what he truly wants to do and find the place that suits him best. I got all the money wasting classes out of the way at a community college before I transferred to a university so I had more time to spend outdoors. I have a BS in Forestry, Minor in Fire Ecology, and a certificate in GIS. I may get my Masters eventually studying interactions between wildlife and fire.

Part of more looking at states with ample hunting opportunity is looking at the cities the colleges are in. Oregon State, University of Montana, and University of Idaho is what 3 I narrowed down from and liked Moscow the best as the town wasn’t that big of a liberal cesspool. Could find hunting and fishing buddies any hour of the week and skiing buddies all the time. Spent every free afternoons and days during the school year either working in the woods, fishing, hunting, trapping, or skiing. Looking back I was glad I chose Idaho and almost every weekend I’m hanging out with the same folks I went to school with.

There are probably a number of us with strong university backgrounds. What majors is the lad looking at? Maybe we can help.