College Help

One thing with Alaska to consider. There aren't many roads. A lot of hunting is done by air charter. As a college student it is going to be both expensive and time consuming to go out hunting.

Only thing true in this statement is there arent many roads compared to the L48. Once your a resident, if you have a vehicle you can hunt everything you want from the road system excluding deer. also if he really needs to do some killing the first year he can get a non res small game license for pretty cheap.

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
I’d look at South Dakota State as well. I’m biased since it’s my alma mater, but it’s a great school with a ton of outdoor opportunities. You have a great flyaway for waterfowl, lots of deer opportunities, antelope, coyotes, great fishing, and lots of public ground. We never had trouble finding something to chase….after our school work was done (usually) 😁

Depending on the degree the first two years are filled with junk courses. You don't get into your field until second sem. soph or junior. However those two years set the gradepoint that you fight the rest of your time there.

Pick the school you wish to graduate from and the field of interest. Get a course catalog and then pick a small good school to meet the requirements. One where you can get help to get through the crud classes you aren't interested in. Then transfer into the school you wanted with a good gpa.

The field you choose needs to have a high placement and a better placement for summer internships. Especially if they will pay enough to cover a year of college. Your junior year internship should be where you want to work. That way when you finish your senior intership there you have a job at graduation.

I cheated and worked every fall semester so I could hunt and pay for college that I attended in the spring. However some classes are only taught in the fall so pay attention.

My college plan took ten years and included 7 universities. That yielded 3.9 college degrees and a 53 year career so far. I paid for all of it myself.

I skipped Alaska because of cost and lack of mobility. I cosidered a Phd in Fairbanks -- briefly and have worked there.

Choose wisely!!

handwerk

WKR
I think you guys are looking at some great states. AK sounds good but keep the travel costs in mind.
Both my boys went to MSU in Bozeman, got a great education and have enjoyed the many outdoor opportunities of the west.

Take a look Western Colorado University in Gunnison, Colorado. I went there and its a great school in a small mountain town with endless hunting and fishing opportunities. Elk, deer, ducks, coyotes, small game, you name it. Also, as long as he's a full time student and can prove it with student ID and class transcripts, he will get resident pricing on all hunting and fishing licenses.

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
I roomed with stank at SDSU. Expensive hunting trip that resulted in a degree and a great job after college. Absolutely incredible 5 years of endless outdoors and relationships that last a lifetime. It’s a very small college town for a school that big, cheap tuition and has more outdoor opportunities than I had thought. Waterfowling upland deer antelope elk coyotes bowfishing ice fishing etc. I live in MT now and I can still say that SD has more opportunities.

Could do community colleges (general ed classes) and hop around states until he’s happy. Then could buckle down for the 4 year degree with the Gen Ed classes already knocked out.

And community college is way cheaper.

Have him look into crystal ball to see where he wants to end up career and locale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could do community colleges (general ed classes) and hop around states until he’s happy. Then could buckle down for the 4 year degree with the Gen Ed classes already knocked out.

And community college is way cheaper.

Have him look into crystal ball to see where he wants to end up career and locale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thats what i did. Went to vermilion community college in ely mn up by the boundary waters then transferred to university of anchorage. who ever said you cant get good grades and kill a pile of stuff was wrong.

I'd have a serious discussion, or several, with your son about where he wants to be in ten years. If all he will focus on is the outdoors, college will not go that well. Best to lock down for 3-4 years, get the degree, and then start living life by the seat of your pants. Then when it's time to grow up a bit, the degree is waiting there to fall back on

Except when a few years later roll around and he's grown up a bit, he'll be entering the field of professesion that many years behind as a newbie making the golden ticket of retirement that far as well.

Best to bite the bullet while young and then live the better life later. Economics 250...

N.ID7803

WKR
From my experience there are a lot of good colleges that can offer the field/degree that you are looking for. Yes some are better than others but if its close why not factor hunting/fishing into it. I know I had a ton of free time in college and that was with a sport and a job. If I could go back I would have spent that time hunting. I just really never thought much of it. Adding in the dead time of summer, fall and winter break a college kid willing to live out of his truck can have a heck of a lot fun hunting and fishing with little investment.
He has been looking at a couple different fields but to him the most important thing is a job that allows him hunt and fish as much as possible. It could be from time off, it could be from making enough money to buy tags. Hunting is his passion.
To me being young is the prefect time to chase his dreams. Make enough money to pay for the things you want to do. Be willing to do without a lot of the stuff you dont need and hunt. Get his degree which he can use when he is done chasing his hunting goals and then settle down. By then he should really know himself and what he wants out of life.
If he wants to hunt and fish as much as he wants. I would suggest becoming a forester, lots of opportunity right now. Attend University of Idaho, they have a great program. Im a forester and I love what I do and can hunt and fish as much as I want.

CorbLand

WKR
I hunted and fished a lot more in 4 years of college than I have in the last 4 years.

One thing I would look at is the cost of each college. Yea, living in Alaska would be cool but for what he would pay in one year of tuition, he could do a trip up there hunting.

Rich M

WKR
Kid is gonna chase tail and hunt and fish. Be like a young buck in rut - running til his tongue hanging out and exhausted.

If he wants to just hunt and fish for rest of life - become a fireman. Extremely demanding work, lotsa time off, pension, insurance, etc.

Could be a nurse too.

Biologists are usually low paid. Rangers are low paid. Forestry folks can go either way.

svivian

WKR
There's a lot left out that would greatly help with the discussion.

Is he going to get a full ride scholarship? Are you paying for College? is he going to be working? how much will he being paying out of pocket to go to school?

These are important as that would lead me to do one thing or the other.

IF he can get a full ride then he would most likely be able to find the time and afford hunting. If he is going to have to work and is paying his own way than I would pick the school that is the absolute cheapest to get my first two years of general education done. This also allows him to figure out what he truly wants to do in school before spending lots of money on something. Also, if he is going to school and working to afford to go there, is he really going to have the time to hunt and fish as much as he thinks he will?

Don’t do Alaska! Hunting seasons are too short and winter is too long! Oh and there’s no women!

I hunted more in college than any other time in my life!

I would look somewhere where the seasons are long and tags readily available.

I would highly recommend moving to Alaska, but not for college. Especially if he has to work to pay for it in the summer. Spring bear heats up right about the time school is out. Then it's balls to the wall until about September when most of it wraps up. By October he will be going to school and coming home in the dark. Other than bird hunting, trapping, and ice fishing; not much happening in the winter. And there are other states (ND, SD, MT) I'd recommended way before Alaska if that's what you're into!

I dearly miss shooting limits of birds before work or running to a tree stand after. Even just deciding on Saturday afternoon that I want to go hunt and it's right out my door in less than an hour. Not something you can logistically do based in Anchorage or Fairbanks. The way I take advantage of what Alaska has to offer to make up for those lost opportunities would be tough on a college kid's schedule or budget. If he's into weekend mountaineering and skiing, Alaska for college is a great choice. Or if he doesn't have to work all summer, which I personally wouldn't recommended for any 18 year old.

OP
M
We had a good talk last night about a few options. Mainly being that Alaska really is probably not a great weekend/day hunt state and that a lot of things he wants to do will require boat/plane travel. That adds up pretty quickly. But he makes a great argument: when else in his life is he going to be able to do this. Even a good paying job the likely hood is that many of the Alaskan animals will be unattainable for non residents moving forward for someone just starting out.
I got him to think about maybe a lower 48 for college and have the ability to hunt and fish during winter and summer breaks. Easier for weekend hunts. His family could come see him more often. And after that he could work his way up to Alaska and work there a few years and chase the hunts he is looking for.
He more than likely will have to be in a Western State for a tuition exchange. We have talked about debt and cost. He knows it makes no sense to go in debt and get a degree that is useless.
As far as scholarship more than likely that will not happen. He has great grades and is very smart but academic scholarship are not something we are planning on. If it happens great. He knows he will have to attend a JC and work to save up money. My wife and I have a college plan for each kid but it does require them to work and follow the suggestions we make. If they want to go out on their own great but it will be on their own. I am not paying two years of undergrad class for him to just go a 4 year university.
I actually like where is head is in his planning for the most part. I think being young and not tied down is a prefect time to explore the world. There is enough time to settle down and make money. He is a smart kid he will do well in work when the time is needed. He also knows that money and time are going to be needed down the road to keep doing the things he wants.

svivian

WKR
We had a good talk last night about a few options. Mainly being that Alaska really is probably not a great weekend/day hunt state and that a lot of things he wants to do will require boat/plane travel. That adds up pretty quickly. But he makes a great argument: when else in his life is he going to be able to do this. Even a good paying job the likely hood is that many of the Alaskan animals will be unattainable for non residents moving forward for someone just starting out.
I got him to think about maybe a lower 48 for college and have the ability to hunt and fish during winter and summer breaks. Easier for weekend hunts. His family could come see him more often. And after that he could work his way up to Alaska and work there a few years and chase the hunts he is looking for.
He more than likely will have to be in a Western State for a tuition exchange. We have talked about debt and cost. He knows it makes no sense to go in debt and get a degree that is useless.
As far as scholarship more than likely that will not happen. He has great grades and is very smart but academic scholarship are not something we are planning on. If it happens great. He knows he will have to attend a JC and work to save up money. My wife and I have a college plan for each kid but it does require them to work and follow the suggestions we make. If they want to go out on their own great but it will be on their own. I am not paying two years of undergrad class for him to just go a 4 year university.
I actually like where is head is in his planning for the most part. I think being young and not tied down is a prefect time to explore the world. There is enough time to settle down and make money. He is a smart kid he will do well in work when the time is needed. He also knows that money and time are going to be needed down the road to keep doing the things he wants.
My biggest regret about college is not digging up as much free money that is out there for scholarships.... it's out there he just has to find it.

If I could do it again tomorrow, I would've been on a plane the day after HS graduation to work for an outfitter or at a lodge in Alaska. Then come October I would've found another job and started piling up money while gaining life experience. Repeat for a couple of years and hunt and fish as much as possible in between. Jobs like those are great for the outdoor types, and you're meeting new clients every day (mostly very successful in their career) that will open your mind to a potential future career you've likely never even heard of. Find a job like this: https://www.pbadventures.com/employment (that one is probably already taken)

There's a whole other thread (Texas Gun Laws) talking about what is an adult. We're asking kids with zero life experience outside of their parent's house to make a $60,000 commitment to what they want to do for the rest of their life. Most college kids can't even decide on their favorite beer. This is why we're seeing shortages in the workforce. The younger generations are quitting and changing jobs because they're not happy with the career they thought they wanted when they were 18 and not willing to tie themselves to that unhappiness for 40 years like generations before. It's also a huge factor in this student loan mess we have with kids going to school for 7 years and changing majors 4 times.

If I had an eighteen year old, I would recommend to them to gain some life experience and then decide on a career and school. I would have a conversation about the money you've saved for them and set a very strict work and life standard and timeline for them to receive it in the future to keep them motivated and on task/schedule. (I apologize for the unsolicited advice. But it checks his box on gaining adventure and experience while young without throwing your money away on a school that's not the right fit)