Clean Energy Arsenal

The point I'm making is that no oil company will invest in anything that will hurt the top, middle and bottom line of their main money maker which is petroleum but they will invest in things that use it or byproducts of it
But only if it won’t hurt the bottom line. I agree. That was the point I was making about hydrogen production. If they could make money at it they’d probably do it. BP did some fiddling with renewables. I’m not sure if it was a serious effort or a publicity stunt after the shit show in the gulf.

I bet most of us agree that it would be a good thing for the United States to achieve energy independence. We just disagree on the best way to get there.

I also bet that most of us agree that we want clean air and water. We want healthy forests and wild lands to escape from our hectic modern lives. We just disagree on our impact to those things since the industrial revolution.

Overall we probably agree on a lot of things. We just get hung up on the things we don’t agree on.

Pretty interesting conversation but I’ve had my fill of it.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
It is true that 2019 was the first year since 1957 in which the U.S. was energy independent. After only 10 days in office, Joe Biden sent the United States "back 50 years" on its progress toward energy independence.

Observations and questions. Norway I believe has the most electric vehicles per capita, but has a nasty little secret about being a massive exporter of oil and natural gas(no gas ,but lots cash) . Haven't been to the east or west coast in a while. I would suspect with all the concern of climate change there's miles of offshore wind turbines dotting the whole coastline ( particularly Martha's vinyard area) ? Initially it's horrible to look at , but like a plant based cheese burger you get used to it after a while per Bill Gates. Meanwhile parts of middle America look like something out of a B rated sci-fi movie . Invasion of the Fanbots . Those things are gonna look real nice when they finally wear out. Wonder how much to take one down and disposal?

Yarak

WKR
But only if it won’t hurt the bottom line. I agree. That was the point I was making about hydrogen production. If they could make money at it they’d probably do it. BP did some fiddling with renewables. I’m not sure if it was a serious effort or a publicity stunt after the shit show in the gulf.
BP did some research on a particular kind of algae as if it would make some kind of great fuel
Hydrogen gas would mean the end of most oil consumption in the internal combustion engine since there are no carbon pollutants to ruin the engine oil and if you consider the synthetic oil production that would make it even worse for oil companies
I like to be preached to about my sinful gas and diesel burners by people who fly around in jets that produce more carbon emissions in a few trips cross country than my trucks will in their lifetime
Truth is climate change/global warming is a joke that changes its tune every 40 years or so and it always disguises itself from being a means of control
Don't do as I do, Do as I say do and everything will be ok sounds about right

BjornF16

WKR
See what I did there? Is that what you said? 😉

It isn’t.

I’d like to read the full speech instead of an article about it. Maybe he said/meant exactly what the article claims. I’d like to decide that for myself.
Lol…you didn’t do anything.

The most prevalent (and most contributing) so called greenhouse gas to natural fluctuations in climactic change is water vapor.

The greatest factor in climactic change is the Sun and it’s natural cycles.

Climate change models are crap…gigo.

Anthropogenic climate change is b.s.

BjornF16

WKR
I support the scientists that report the truth. 2500 + acres of eco system bulldozed of all trees, and flora to replaced with solar panel, and high use of herbicide isn’t exactly planet friendly.

Not exactly an eco friendly foot print. Just a couple square miles that now looks and reflect like a lake… until you get close
Ja, let’s get rid of the natural CO2 scrubbers.

Methinks too many are already suffering from O2 deprivation

JoeDirt

WKR
If solar panels/installation prices come down some (or the tax credits get higher) I'd definitely consider making the addition; we see a lot of sunny days and I have nice south facing roof that should be ideal.
Solar and batteries have came down a lot in price. Most systems ive looked into are a 7-15 year payoff. This depends on your electrical rates. California having some of the highest rates and lots of sun the payoff is closer to 7 years.

Ive looked into this a lot because my power company is unreliable (rural area) We wear out a generator every 5-10 years.

Its a high upfront cost unfortunately

The White House would be money ahead to invest in R&D at a military level for better battery design via materials engineering and electro-chemistry than to waste billions on something we know won't work.

But then again, we have bubba at the wheel...
If this is bubba, who the hell was the last guy? LOL

Amazing to me how threads built on paranoia and misinformation can last here but anytime common sense gun laws are mentioned they get closed.

Carry on y'all.

BjornF16

WKR

Amazing to me how threads built on paranoia and misinformation can last here but anytime common sense gun laws are mentioned they get closed.

Carry on y'all.
Last guy was bad orange man.

“common sense” gun laws aren’t common sense.

Like anthropogenic climate change, they are driven by a nefarious agenda promulgated by the proverbial useful idiots 😁

I bet most of us agree that it would be a good thing for the United States to achieve energy independence. We just disagree on the best way to get there.

I also bet that most of us agree that we want clean air and water. We want healthy forests and wild lands to escape from our hectic modern lives. We just disagree on our impact to those things since the industrial revolution.

Overall we probably agree on a lot of things. We just get hung up on the things we don’t agree on.

Pretty interesting conversation but I’ve had my fill of it.
us will never be 100% energy independent
just not possible

Carry on y'all.

Completely irrelevant to the discussion about energy.

But, since you brought it up, just how many "gun laws" do you think we need?

What we really need is common sense politician control laws.

BjornF16

WKR
Back to the energy discussion, how do you guys feel about geothermal?
My undergrad degree is in mechanical engineering with specialization in fluid dynamics…

I’m a fan of geothermal. I’ve contemplated adding geothermal system for my hvac. If I sell and relocate to build final house, it will include geothermal and solar with the goal of getting off grid.

Not much a fan of wind (whether hunting or for energy).

Still a fan of petro energy…

Just my $0.02