Choice Ammunition?…and other cottage ammo makers

Anyone know if any good, small shops out there that load their own rounds? Specifically looking for 270 Win at the moment.

Came across a place called Choice Ammunition that has a lot of variety. Anyone use them?

I buy most of my 6.5 Grendel from Druid Hill Armory in Dixon, MO. I’ve found their stuff to be as accurate, if not slightly more, than factory ammo and usually cheaper.

LightFoot

WKR
There are a lot of small shops out there doing this. Be careful, though.

Choice has a good reputation along with Unknown Munitions, Pendleton, and Hendershots.

MG Arms in Spring, TX does some custom loads and will develop a load for your rifle for a few hundred bucks.

Custom Reloads of Dallas has done some good loads for me but their reputation is hit or miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
G

Choice has a good reputation along with Unknown Munitions, Pendleton, and Hendershots.

MG Arms in Spring, TX does some custom loads and will develop a load for your rifle for a few hundred bucks.

Custom Reloads of Dallas has done some good loads for me but their reputation is hit or miss.

Thanks for those other companies. Seems like prices are pretty consistent.

Choice has some really bad Google reviews recently that I saw after making this post. They are of the “they won’t take my call or email me back variety” which is a big turn off.

Xbow hunter

Lil-Rokslider

I had Custom Reloads of Dallas make some subsonic 308 ammo for me. It said it was in stock when I ordered. Finally got in touch with him two weeks later wondering why it hadn’t shipped. It hadn’t been loaded yet. Finally got it with different cases than advertised but it was good ammo anyway. I would probably order again if I wasn’t in a hurry for the ammo. Beck ammo has better service and good ammo.

IDShane

WKR
I uses Choice ammo for my California Blacktail hunt (leadfree)with my 6.5 PRC. The ammo was fine I have alot more accuracy with Hornaday ammo but could not find leadfree. They were very helpful and rushed the bullets to me as I was in a pinch.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
A customer tried a cottage industry ammo company, 7-08, 150ttsx if I remember. Blew primers, locked up the action. Fed brass, blue primer paint intact like on fggm. Bullets pulled out with almost finger pressure, compressed load of a ball powder. Im not sure of the powder charge but it looked like they were just pulling the factory bullet and seating a ttsx. Ammo wasn’t cheap. Just be careful.

TheHammer

WKR
I’ve used both choice and unknown munitions. The standard stuff I’ve got from choice always shot well but the quality I’ve got from unknown is better than anything else I’ve experienced.

I've had Pendelton develop loads for my 300 win mag, 28 nosler and 7 mm mag. All were fantastic. Communication, delivery time and price were the best. When they ran out of 28 nosler brass, I got a phone call that only half my order was coming, then another one when new brass came in.

Steve West called me to discuss what my uses for the 300 win mag would be and what I would be hunting. Came up with a great load, shot my bull that year at 505 yards, spot on!!!!

OP
G
Well, it’s been five days since I emailed Choice. No response. If they won’t respond before they get my money, I doubt they will after they have it.

Cross them off the list.

TheHammer

WKR
Jake from unknown called me on a Sunday at 830 to verify exactly what we were after for one of my rifles. His wife typically responds to emails. I would suggest calling and talking directly to Jake about all your questions as it seems this is the most efficient way to verify everything. He offered me some of the best consultation and advice possible! Then I verify with a follow up email immediately after the conversation. The results are a very hot hunting load out of a hunting rifle shooting sub 2.5” 4shot groups at 600yds. Most people can’t handle more then 2 questions in an email. As for choice? Also maybe call??? Not trying to be a smart azz

I bought some ammo from Choice and it was great ammo. I never tried to communicate with them. They were one of the only places i could get ammo during COVID. If I was looking for good handloaded ammo today i would buy from Unkown

JCohHTX

FNG
I coudn't get Choice on the phone either, but needed the ammo and took a chance. I received three boxes of 168gr TTSX 300 WM in 7 days. Shot it today and it grouped great out of a TIkka.

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered Choice 280ai online.
Arrived promptly on multiple orders.
Groups fantastic & has had excellent terminal performance.
Have not had any need to email or call them…