Bergara b14 rifles after almost 10 years from the release, reliability/accuracy/durability/features!

Morabob

FNG
I have a Wilderness Ridge in 308. I like everything about Bergaras except the weight. Most models are just too heavy, so I likely won't buy another. I should really try a Tikka but I just cant get past how ugly they are.
The factory stock is the only thing that looks different, so get a different chassis or one of their higher end rifles that comes in a different stock.

JGRaider

WKR
" I won't shoot one of the most accurate and durable factory rifles made because it's ugly, IMO"

Makes perfect sense...........

BCD

WKR
" I won't shoot one of the most accurate and durable factory rifles made because it's ugly, IMO"

Makes perfect sense...........
Life is too short to shoot a rifle that ugly. It's not the only rifle out there despite what some of this site would have you believe. To each their own. Would you drive an ugly truck if it was reliable? Why when there are many options to find one that is both reliable and that appeals to you.

Morabob

FNG
Life is too short to shoot a rifle that ugly. It's not the only rifle out there despite what some of this site would have you believe. To each their own. Would you drive an ugly truck if it was reliable? Why when there are many options to find one that is both reliable and that appeals to you.
I get what you are saying but I'm going to play devil's advocate because a good looking rifle doesn't = a good rifle.

It's not the only rifle out there despite what some of this site would have you believe.
No one said it was but it has become the defacto standard to beat for a $700 rifle that you could never change a thing on (functionally) and be happy with it the rest of your life.

Because you can change the stock for a little extra $$. Your analogy falls flat when you take into account that a truck's body cannot be easily completely removed and swapped for another. The rifle action and barrel I assume are not what you find unsightly but the slightly more euro-styled stock. For the money you will not find a smoother action mated to a barrel with sub-moa accuracy and one of the finest factory triggers that I would argue even surpasses many of the aftermarket replacement options for other rifle systems.

The factory stock is more than serviceable but for more money a whole assortment of styles open up to you, but that's only if you care about looks over function. My Tikka feeds 100% reliably from the magazine or dropped in, you cannot bind the action it is so smooth.

Would you drive an ugly truck if it was reliable? Why when there are many options to find one that is both reliable and that appeals to you.
Absolutely! I need a car that is reliable, will fit my family and be affordable. I traded in my BMW 328i in LeMans Blue for my silver minivan because one of them met my requirements and the other didn't.

You left affordability out of the argument which may not concern you but many shooters do consider. That said, some of us only pay for what they can afford, personally I don't finance cars and therefore I drive what I can find in my price range, fits my needs and is available. That may mean I get a Ford when I wanted a Dodge but despite what the fanboys will say they all get you from A to B.

I also prefer to buy both my cars and rifles used, 5 years off a cars life gains you a heck of a bargain and someone doing the break in on your rifle for you saves you a significant amount of coin depending on the cartridge.
"Life is too short to shoot a pretty rifle without reliable feeding, smooth action, great trigger, widely recognized high levels of accuracy out of the box and a reasonable price point." - me

BCD

WKR
I get what you are saying but I'm going to play devil's advocate because a good looking rifle doesn't = a good rifle.

No one said it was but it has become the defacto standard to beat for a $700 rifle that you could never change a thing on (functionally) and be happy with it the rest of your life.

Because you can change the stock for a little extra $$. Your analogy falls flat when you take into account that a truck's body cannot be easily completely removed and swapped for another. The rifle action and barrel I assume are not what you find unsightly but the slightly more euro-styled stock. For the money you will not find a smoother action mated to a barrel with sub-moa accuracy and one of the finest factory triggers that I would argue even surpasses many of the aftermarket replacement options for other rifle systems.

The factory stock is more than serviceable but for more money a whole assortment of styles open up to you, but that's only if you care about looks over function. My Tikka feeds 100% reliably from the magazine or dropped in, you cannot bind the action it is so smooth.

Absolutely! I need a car that is reliable, will fit my family and be affordable. I traded in my BMW 328i in LeMans Blue for my silver minivan because one of them met my requirements and the other didn't.

You left affordability out of the argument which may not concern you but many shooters do consider. That said, some of us only pay for what they can afford, personally I don't finance cars and therefore I drive what I can find in my price range, fits my needs and is available. That may mean I get a Ford when I wanted a Dodge but despite what the fanboys will say they all get you from A to B.

I also prefer to buy both my cars and rifles used, 5 years off a cars life gains you a heck of a bargain and someone doing the break in on your rifle for you saves you a significant amount of coin depending on the cartridge.
"Life is too short to shoot a pretty rifle without reliable feeding, smooth action, great trigger, widely recognized high levels of accuracy out of the box and a reasonable price point." - me
It’s just my opinion that they are ugly. I’ll spend my money on rifles and trucks that both function and look good to my eye. The safety on the Tikka is also a piss poor design. Unless something has changed you have to take it off safety to eject the bullet from the chamber.

Steve P

FNG
Interesting post, with a lot of good info. Actually looking into a new rifle myself and considering both the Bergara or Tikka. My only issue with Tikka is the LOP being so short for me.

Have a Xbolt and like that a lot and wanted to get one in 300 WM but unable to get the model I'm interested in from them. Had sent them a email inquiring why do you list having them if they are not available. They suggested for me to place an order through my ffl, but no idea of when it would come in.

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting post, with a lot of good info. Actually looking into a new rifle myself and considering both the Bergara or Tikka. My only issue with Tikka is the LOP being so short for me.

Have a Xbolt and like that a lot and wanted to get one in 300 WM but unable to get the model I'm interested in from them. Had sent them a email inquiring why do you list having them if they are not available. They suggested for me to place an order through my ffl, but no idea of when it would come in.
Look, i find bergaras are good rifles but a bit picky with ammo, at least in 308. Overall it seems like the company didn't manage to keep QC as good as it was in the furst years after the huge increase of the production rate. I say this because before 2018 you can't find a SINGLE complaint online, after 2020 there are many (for sure with more models around there is more chance to have someone reporting issues but also before 2018 bergaras sold very well and there was no a single complaint). They are still good and reliable rifles but the risk of a lemon seems to be higher than with tikkas. I just never found a bad bergara anyway. They shoot great but are a bit picky with ammo, at least in 308, in my experience. Overall, bergaras are a more complete rifle if you keep them stock, compared to tikkas. If you plan to upgrade at least the stock and you wanna keep costs down, tikkas are a good option because reliabikity, accuracy and durability seem to be very good. You have to accept their MANY drawbacks (hunting models have very thin barrels, very sensible to heat, are too lightweight for heavy kicking calibers, they don't have the option of muzzle thread on most models because of the thin barrels, goofy aesthetic, cheap stock, no short actions).
At the end i decided to spend 10k (rifle + scope and all the accessories) and buy a full custom lol