Chili Makin’ - Beans or No?

cnelk

WKR
Almost chili making season and was wondering the consensus of beans or no beans in your chili?

If yes to beans, what kind?

1 can Bush's chili beans (kidney) + 1 can Rotel chili fixin's + 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes with chiles + 1 lb ground venison

Hot versions of the beans and diced tomatoes/chiles if I'm cooking for myself, mild versions if serving to others.

Mosby

WKR
Beans are a must IMO. My recipe for deer or elk camp chili:

-1 lb of ground elk meat
- two cans of dark red kidney beans
- 1 can of ro-tel
- 1 can of chili ready diced tomatoes
- 1 can of mexican style stewed tomatoes

Canned tomatoes are high in antioxidants and flavor and beans add protein and fiber.

jhm2023

WKR
I prefer great northern beans when I make chili and pintos are my second choice. Just finished a bowl of black bear chili with great northerns and loaded up with sautéed onions and peppers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Agross

WKR
Was just telling my kids last night , it’s about time for a batch of chili. It isn’t chili if there isn’t beans in it! I do a can of brooks hot chili beans and a can of brooks mild chili beans in each batch. I make a pretty big batch when I do it. Brooks is the only way to go.

TN2shot07

WKR
Can’t have chili without beans! If I’m making a batch to freeze I don’t add the beans until thawed and warming it up.

I’ll use a mix of dark red kidney, chili, and black beans depending on how much I’m making.

Agree on both.

I like a bean based chili the for must occasions. A great hearty winter meal.

no bean chili is a whole other thing.

i think the first time I had it was driving across country at a gas station / diner in a cross Road Town in New Mexico. I still remember that meal. me and my crock pot have been chasing that taste for 30 years.

Drenalin

.WKR
For venison chili, I like one can of black beans + one can of dark kidney beans. I'm closer to a ratio of about 1 pound of meat to one can of beans.

True chili has no beans. Beans just been getting added as a substitute instead of more meat.

But I tend to prefer a few beans in my chili. Hotdog chili tho I definitely go no beans.

CJF

WKR
Of course beans. Unless the primary function of said chili is to go on top of Frito pie or a chili dog....then it is acceptable to go either way.