Cartridge for new hunter

Looking for some input here, which I know has been debated over and over. We’re looking to buy a rifle for a new smaller frame shooter (5’4”). I’d like to buy a tried and true cartridges that is not likely to “go out of style”. Not interested in 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC.

Been looking at .308, .270, and .243. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Love my .270! Had it since I was 15. Recoil is a little stout for a small framed person if your firing strings of shots on the range, but if the adrenaline is pumping with a deer in the scope it won’t be noticed. My dad has killed tons of deer with his .243 but when he started hunting Kansas and taking longer shots, he started having questionable performance on those bigger boned bucks and went to a heavier caliber.

If only there was the largest thread on RS going back years with dozens of elk killed with 223’s…. And multiple Moose. And bears.

But, please tell me the shot angle you think doesn’t work on elk with a 223, and I’ll happily showing multiple with that exact shot.
Just because a couple fellers done did it doesn't mean it's sound advice, I'll assume they're good hunters/shooters and applied personal limitations to their experiment. Terminal ballistics has too many variables to just throw around vague opinions like that for new hunters.
So do you have any restrictions for a 223? Or are you gonna take a TX heart shot on a bull elk at 1000y confident that it'll drop on impact?

6mm Remington has lost favor but it's sure an excellent deer, antelope, and coyote cartridge. You would have to search out a used rifle or have one built on a donor rifle most likely. My son and I have killed elk with the 6mm Remington also.

25-06 is a sweet round too. Plenty of performance and not much push back. Works on deer, antelope, and elk with good bullets.

7x57 is a great little cartridge with mild recoil and plenty of pop. Same for the 7mm-08.

OXN939

WKR
This…all day every day

And twice on Sunday. There was another thread talking about 7mm-08 pushing 120 TTSXs... light recoil, good ballistics for the ranges we're talking here, plenty of power for deer, antelope and even elk. Case closed

Love my .270! Had it since I was 15. Recoil is a little stout for a small framed person if your firing strings of shots on the range, but if the adrenaline is pumping with a deer in the scope it won’t be noticed.
The recoil may not be noticed, but will it be anticipated? That's the concern.

Reactions: Stu
Just because a couple fellers done did it doesn't mean it's sound advice, I'll assume they're good hunters/shooters and applied personal limitations to their experiment. Terminal ballistics has too many variables to just throw around vague opinions like that for new hunters.
So do you have any restrictions for a 223? Or are you gonna take a TX heart shot on a bull elk at 1000y confident that it'll drop on impact?
You dodged his ask.

"But, please tell me the shot angle you think doesn’t work on elk with a 223, and I’ll happily showing multiple with that exact shot."

Reactions: Stu
First of all, every picture in that thread is a fact, not an opinion.

Second, are you gonna take a TX heart shoot on that bull elk with your 300 Loudenboomer, confident that it will drop on impact?

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
You didn’t read the thread he mentioned. He states and many others as well mention wherever 1800fps is reached out of your rifle.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

I don’t do opinions, I like, I think, or I feel.

Share what combo you would shoot an elk in the butt with at 1000 yards? Also, can you please relate your experiences killing elk?

You dodged his ask.

"But, please tell me the shot angle you think doesn’t work on elk with a 223, and I’ll happily showing multiple with that exact shot."
Angle: quartered away
Presentation: 1000y
It's not a dodge, its a straw man argument. He said no problems, any angle, any presentation. Those are absolutes without restriction or qualifiers.

The recoil may not be noticed, but will it be anticipated? That's the concern.
That depends on the shooters mindset I guess. I know there was some “managed recoil” loads available in .270 (federal I think?). If the new shooter is a young shooter that might grow into the recoil a bit that might be a good option for getting a heavier hitting caliber for them to grow into without causing bad habits while they are young.

I don’t do opinions, I like, I think, or I feel.

Share what combo you would shoot an elk in the butt with at 1000 yards? Also, can you please relate your experiences killing elk?
I don't condone anyone making that shot with any cartridge. You said a 223 has no problems on elk and its one of the calibers that is fine from any shot angle or presentation. Those are pretty ridiculous claims to give to a new hunter without explaining the limitations on velocity and shot angle. I agree that the 223 is capable of more than people give it credit for, but not to the extent that I'd recommend it to a new shooter for all North American animals as if it has zero flaws.
I've shot and watched enough elk killed to know that even accepted cartridges with good shot placement have varying results in field conditions and going down in mass and energy isn't the solution. It's crazy that considering a 223 a bit light for elk is an unpopular opinion on this forum.

peterk123

WKR
@nltr , not sure why 6.5 creed is off the table. I'm currently going through the same exercise as you for my wife. She is not a new shooter. Heck, she even shoots my 45/70 with my hot loads. That thing hurts.

I having been looking for the right rifle for her for hunting. There are a lot of good calibers out there. Honestly, with some we are just splitting hairs. For a caliber I wanted a comfortable recoil. I also wanted flatter trajectory so she had a little more room for error. It also needed to take down any game in North America. Finally, it needs to be easy to get and easy for me to road. The 6.5 checked all the boxes.

Equally important, if not moreso, is the rifle. This often gets overlooked. My wife is small. So reach needs to be considered. Women are built different. So comb height is important. Especially when using a scope. Finally, is the weight. It has to be easy for her to lug around.

There are manufacturers now focusing on woman specific guns. Savage Lady Hunter is one. There are others.

Finally, take her with you. Make sure she likes it and it fits. Because the look of the gun could make or break whether or not she will use it. Ya, that one can make or break the deal 😃

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some input here, which I know has been debated over and over. We’re looking to buy a rifle for a new smaller frame shooter (5’4”). I’d like to buy a tried and true cartridges that is not likely to “go out of style”. Not interested in 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC.

Been looking at .308, .270, and .243. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Maybe this has been sorted out - I got lost in the 'big wiener contest'.

Out of the calibers listed, I would go with 308.

Fit is going to be more important than caliber. The right stock, LOP and eye relief will make all the difference. These are things that are often overlooked for new shooters. My small-framed shooter uses a 308 that has been set up for her.

OP
nltr

nltr

FNG
@peterk123 The 6.5 has been off the table at this point, simply because she doesn’t want one. She wants something that’s been around longer than 6.5 has.

Totally agree with your comment though. Whatever we end up purchasing will be her choice, since it’ll be her gun. We’ve already gone to look at a few models and she’s taken a few of the list simply because of how they felt for her.

BjornF16

WKR
You dodged his ask.

Angle: quartered away
Presentation: 1000y
It's not a dodge, its a straw man argument. He said no problems, any angle, any presentation. Those are absolutes without restriction or qualifiers.
Lol…you’re misrepresenting “presentation”; it is most definitely not “range”…

Form has been pretty specific about when the various bullets reach their limits (with .223/77TMK combo being about 450-ish yards).

I've shot and watched enough elk killed to know

Can you actually quantify that?

Bluumoon

WKR
.308 win in a light rifle kicks plenty to cause a flinch, I have heavier rifles in 30-06 that kick considerably less than my ultralight .308. I don't have a .243, but it (correct pronoun?) and .25-06 are fairly common elk cartridges in my area.