Cartridge for new hunter

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Outside hunting seasons, I have been shooting rifles from .223 to .416 three times a week, helping Unknown Munitions with their load dev. Shooting and watching a few other guys shoot. The data is clear. We/You shoot smaller chamberings better.

My grandkids will start with a .223 then move to a 6CM when ready.

It doesn't limit them, however I think it would be hard to argue that recoil is going to effect smaller women and children more than a grown man.
Nice generalization. So to recap…

* All grown men are tough and can handle all things (except the man cold which is worse than drug-free child birth).
* All women and children are frail and can barely handle a 22 LR.

Rob5589

WKR
I started my kids on .223 for cf then moved my daughter to a 7/08 Tikka at around 14. She handles the recoil fine, as long as she mounts the gun correctly which is a big part of recoil management. That and proper stock fit will go a looong way in handling recoil.

hiker270

WKR
308 would be a good choice. Also there is plenty of 308 ammo available, unlike a lot of calibers.

Unckebob

WKR

* All grown men are tough and can handle all things (except the man cold which is worse than drug-free child birth).
I think a better analogy would be that smaller people (having less mass to absorb the recoil, are better served by starting hunting using a cartridge that doesn't beat them up. They are better served with a lighter gun that is easier to carry and handle.

I wish I had started with a 243 rather than dad's 30-06. It scared the @@@@ out of and beat the @@@@ out of 14 y/o me.

Plus, it is cheaper to practice with a 243 than any magnum cartridge.

Never understood why some feel the need to dictate what cartridge “small framed” people in their lives should use. Let the individual decide as we are all different.
You read the OPs post and came away with the notion that he's trying to "dictate" what someone uses? It came off to me like he was trying to help. How should the person decide if not for the help of others?

Looking for some input here, which I know has been debated over and over. We’re looking to buy a rifle for a new smaller frame shooter (5’4”). I’d like to buy a tried and true cartridges that is not likely to “go out of style”. Not interested in 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC.

Been looking at .308, .270, and .243. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Of those three, without knowing anything about the shooter or how the gun will be used, I'd go with a 243. 100% of people in the real world shoot milder recoiling guns better. The real world is markedly different form the worldwide web where 99% of shooters shoot a 375 Weatherby as well as they do a 223.

You used the words "go out of style" right after the comment about the 6.5 Creed. I don't know if those 2 thoughts are connected, but I can assure you that the 6.5 Creed isn't going out of style.

Additional thoughts? I wonder why you wouldn't mention how the gun will be used. Target, hunting, long range, woods? You know, any information that you could give that would help others give you better targeted advice.

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply. Did she get trigger shy at all from the kick? That’s one thing we’re both trying to avoid.
There is definitely a good bit of recoil. It’s a pretty light rifle and that’s my one complaint. When we’re shooting at the range, the gun doesn’t get brought out very often, mostly a 6.5 or .223. But for straight hunting purposes, the rifle is great for 300 yds and in.

I've got 3 .270 wins and 2 7mm-08s which I really like. Wife shoots her own .270 win but that's the only rifle she shoots so she has no experience with less recoil but shoots tight groups with a smile. Both are great and capable of anything you want to hunt in your list with quality bullets.

OP
nltr

nltr

FNG
Of those three, without knowing anything about the shooter or how the gun will be used, I'd go with a 243. 100% of people in the real world shoot milder recoiling guns better. The real world is markedly different form the worldwide web where 99% of shooters shoot a 375 Weatherby as well as they do a 223.

You used the words "go out of style" right after the comment about the 6.5 Creed. I don't know if those 2 thoughts are connected, but I can assure you that the 6.5 Creed isn't going out of style.

Additional thoughts? I wonder why you wouldn't mention how the gun will be used. Target, hunting, long range, woods? You know, any information that you could give that would help others give you better targeted advice.
The gun would be used for both target and hunting. Range - Under 400 yds. Terrain - will vary depending on the hunt, but definitely not super dense forest.

As to the gong out of style comment. Time will tell, for the 6.5 Creedmoor, if it stays as popular or relevant as it is now. I know a lot of people who love it, but the flip side of that is something like .243 or .308 that’s got a decades long history of being a solid cartridge.

I’m just hoping to get some input to see if there’s pro/cons I may be overlooking for the cartridges listed, or if there are ones that I haven’t thought about yet.

Deywalker

FNG

Yes, generally people who have less mass are moved around more by recoil. I never said grown men can handle all things, the average man starts shooting worse after 15 ft/lbs of recoil. Expecting women and children who generally weigh less and have less muscle mass to do any better is an odd stance to take. Where has anyone tried saying they can't handle .22lr? You're on a forum where the most popular thread is grown men advocating other grown men to shoot .223.

The gun would be used for both target and hunting. Range - Under 400 yds. Terrain - will vary depending on the hunt, but definitely not super dense forest.

As to the gong out of style comment. Time will tell, for the 6.5 Creedmoor, if it stays as popular or relevant as it is now. I know a lot of people who love it, but the flip side of that is something like .243 or .308 that’s got a decades long history of being a solid cartridge.

I’m just hoping to get some input to see if there’s pro/cons I may be overlooking for the cartridges listed, or if there are ones that I haven’t thought about yet.
The 6.5 Creed is not going anywhere. Time has already told! It is here to stay. I just pulled guns listed as in stock in the Sportsman's Warehouse online inventory. There are 232 different 6.5 Creeds in stock. The next most common in stock is the 308 at 139 in stock. No others are in double figures. The 243 shows at 58 and the 270 at 37.

With that said, there are plenty more options. The various 22 centerfires are wicked good killers. The 25-06 doesn't get a lot of play, but is lower recoiling than the 308 and 270. It checks all of the boxes for you. 7mm-08 will be softer on the shoulder than the 270 or 308.

my opinion is that anything the "introducer" can do to improve a newcomer's experience with guns at the range and in the field should be done. In the case of recoil, it's very clear that the biggest thing that will improve the experience and the performance is to drop to a lighter recoiling weapon. You can do that with a brake, but at an extreme noise/blast cost that can be worse than recoil. You can do that by going to a super heavy gun, but it's not practical for hunting, so, the best option is to use smaller cartridges.

The laws of physics do not care about the gender of the person holding the gun, or whether they are from TX or AZ. Conservation of momentum is inescapable in this universe. Conservation of momentum lets you know that a lighter person is going to be moved faster/harder than a heavier person holding the same rifle firing the same load, because the total momentum change is the same. So, regardless of whether it "affects" their ability to place shots accurately, it's inescapable that a lighter person is going to be physically affected more by the same recoil than a heavier person.

Modern bullets are fantastic, and enable wounds that are astonishing compared to the older designs. That's why, wherever it's legal, the 223 is a great choice, and it will never, ever go out of style thanks to the AR crowd.

I started my kids on .223 for cf then moved my daughter to a 7/08 Tikka at around 14. She handles the recoil fine, as long as she mounts the gun correctly which is a big part of recoil management. That and proper stock fit will go a looong way in handling recoil.
Yep.
Nobody has said anything about proper fit for recoil management.

Where's the '30-06 and put a break(sic) on it!' crowd?

I think a Tikka Compact 7-08 with 120's AFTER they have mastered shooting rifle with a similar 22lr.

49ereric

WKR
Open country shots then a .270 is solid. Combination of dense woods and open country then .308 win or 06.
read .270 articles by Jack O’conner