Cartridge for new hunter

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
I'll throw 6.5x55 in the ring, ammo availability would be an issue but that cartridge outside of elk is just about tops. Follow that with 7mm-08 and then 308 . I know you're not interested but for the species mentioned creed checks all the boxes.

.257 roberts, 7 x 57 Mauser (both the Roberts and .243 are based on the Mauser case). Mauser is a good 7mm and the recoil is nice, same with the Roberts.

A new shooter needs lots of practice. The most practical round for affordable high-volume practice ammo and versatility of hunting loads is easily the 308. Put a brake on there and double up ear pro for range sessions then take it off for hunting and confirm POI. they'll never notice the difference when there's an animal behind the reticle.

Oregonboy

WKR
.308 - it's tried and true and you can actually acquire ammo for it from most stores. It's not too much recoil and has plenty of knockdown power.

I'll throw 6.5x55 in the ring, ammo availability would be an issue but that cartridge outside of elk is just about tops. Follow that with 7mm-08 and then 308 . I know you're not interested but for the species mentioned creed checks all the boxes.
For sure. The 6.5x55 is a perfected design.

And the 6.5CM is an established cartridge at this point; a new shooter does himself a disservice by dismissing such an huge selection of rifles and ammo out of hand, plus it’s just plain easier to shoot accurately than a .270 or .308 while having more energy and versatility than the .243.

If the 243 is on the list the 6mm Creed should be as well. I look at the 6 Creed as the modern 243. Updated case shape and twist rate. And since I have always seen factory ammo on the shelf for it even during the last few years that would be my number 1 choice.

If the 243 is on the list the 6mm Creed should be as well. I look at the 6 Creed as the modern 243. Updated case shape and twist rate. And since I have always seen factory ammo on the shelf for it even during the last few years that would be my number 1 choice.
Despite the strong ammo availability, there isn't a wide range of 6 Creed hunting rifles available. If the OP is concerned about the 6.5 Creed fading into obsolescence, then it stands to reason that' he'd be even more concerned about the 6 Creed, even if both will be with us for the long haul.

.308 Win with a rifle that fits her. She needs to pick it out. Fit is crucial. Really good pad and adjustable trigger. Make sure the wrist is narrow enough for her hand.

The only reason I say .308 Win is because elk might be on the menu. If we eliminate elk and bear, then .243 with the same requirements.

Make sure she starts on a .22, .17, or even .223. She needs to get comfortable with the bang, whatever the bang is. And you don’t get a second chance.

Tikka with a compact stock would be a great choice.

P

Despite the strong ammo availability, there isn't a wide range of 6 Creed hunting rifles available. If the OP is concerned about the 6.5 Creed fading into obsolescence, then it stands to reason that' he'd be even more concerned about the 6 Creed, even if both will be with us for the long haul.
He didn't ask about which rifle brand/model. He asked about cartridges.

After the data was presented that the 6.5 Creed is more popular right now than other cartridges, I figured the OP would realize the 6 Creed is the better way to go compared to the .243. I could be wrong about that though.

KenLee

WKR
7mm-08 in x-bolt micro stalker. 13 inch length of pull.
If not in the budget, an a-bolt 3 micro stalker in 7mm-08.
If 13 inches lop is too long, the x-bolt micro midas 7mm-08 at 12.5 inch lop. All 20 inch barrels.
Buy factory 120 gr NBT or 120 gr TTSX.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
A new shooter needs lots of practice. The most practical round for affordable high-volume practice ammo and versatility of hunting loads is easily the 308. Put a brake on there and double up ear pro for range sessions then take it off for hunting and confirm POI. they'll never notice the difference when there's an animal behind the reticle.
I will kindly disagree. Get a .223 for high volume shooting. That and a brake is a poor place to start a new shooter, even doubled up.

I will kindly disagree. Get a .223 for high volume shooting. That and a brake is a poor place to start a new shooter, even doubled up.
I'm not here to die on this hill, but I'm curious why that would be a poor place to start vs buying a second gun, scope, and ammo? A 150gr 308 load with a brake would be comfortable for any new shooter.
OP did mention a couple comments down about shooting medium game and maybe elk with it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm not here to die on this hill, but I'm curious why that would be a poor place to start vs buying a second gun, scope, and ammo? A 150gr 308 load with a brake would be comfortable for any new shooter.
OP did mention a couple comments down about shooting medium game and maybe elk with it.

Because there is no hearing safe way to shoot a braked 308. Even with plugs and muffs it is above hearing safe. The concussion and muzzle blast that accompanies a brake is horrid for most shooters, and with new shooters is as bad as recoil. 223’s with correct bullets kill elk with zero issues, let alone 243/6cm’s.

Looking for some input here, which I know has been debated over and over. We’re looking to buy a rifle for a new smaller frame shooter (5’4”). I’d like to buy a tried and true cartridges that is not likely to “go out of style”. Not interested in 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC.

Been looking at .308, .270, and .243. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm a smaller frame guy at 5'6". I didn't read through the entire thread, so I apologize if this is a repeat suggestion.

I opted for a fairly entry level rifle (Savage Axis) chambered in .270. I then took a little extra money and had a gunsmith shorten the length of pull, put a different trigger, and adjust the eye relief on the scope to fit my smaller torso better. All in, I think I had ~$250 for the rifle, $100-150.00 for the service (excluding the cost of the trigger).

It left me with a rifle that fits me a bit better than a standard, off-the-shelf rifle without having to drop several thousand on a full-on custom.

I've liked the .270 for its versatility/reputation for being a 'flat shooter' and have killed both deer and elk with a 130g bullet (i.e. not much kick).

Yes, generally people who have less mass are moved around more by recoil. I never said grown men can handle all things, the average man starts shooting worse after 15 ft/lbs of recoil. Expecting women and children who generally weigh less and have less muscle mass to do any better is an odd stance to take. Where has anyone tried saying they can't handle .22lr? You're on a forum where the most popular thread is grown men advocating other grown men to shoot .223.
My point was that the Rokslide crew is completely ignoring the individual, the individual's input, and the individual's recoil tolerance. Let the individual choose what to use (assuming it's legal) whether it is the 223, 243, 25-06, 6.5 CM, 7mm-08, etc instead of ramming (generic) your opinion down the new shooter's throat. From there it is simple enough to "tweak" things to make shooting more enjoyable such as a Limbsaver, low-recoil ammo, a properly fitted rifle, a suppressor, proper instruction, etc.

Not disagreeing with the benefits of lower recoil for all of us, recoil's impact on us, etc. But damn, we are all different and it is surprising that no one on this site can recognize that simple fact (or refuses to).

Side bar to helpfully demonstrate this point:
I was at the range and watched a man teach a woman how to shoot a rifle (both were comparable in size). The woman was doing great with the 22 LR. The man then told the woman that the next rifle is extremely powerful and has brutal recoil. She jerked at the trigger pull, told him that is was too much, and refused to shoot anymore. That rifle? The bone crushing 223 Rem (bolt action). That man poisoned the well by spouting his BS to her. She would have been much better off shooting the 223 and then providing feedback on recoil level (not like going straight to a lightweight 338 WM which would have been cruel).

A well-fitting rifle will have less felt recoil than a poorly fitting rifle (all things being equal).

It is similar to pistols. If a Glock fits your hands, then they are great. If they don't, they are not fun to shoot.

STK-300

Lil-Rokslider
Any of those calibers, 243, 7mm-08, 308 or 270 would be perfect. I think in this situation a. Sjmhort action would be best. Of the 3 shirt action rounds, I have been very impressed with the 243. I purchased a savage lady hunter 243 for my daughter and I was impressed with that rifle quality and its outstanding accuracy.

TheGDog

WKR
That man poisoned the well by spouting his BS to her.
I've seen this too! One of the kids in our Scout troop... he's VERY small for his age range. I dunno who got to this kid, but he was convinced he was too small to shoot a rifle. I had to explain to him how that's nonsense and how there are literally cartridges of every size imaginable and that he just had to find the right one for him.

Kid listened well and ended up being a decent shot too! (The kid in black. And I wanna say that he was actually in like 8th or 9th grade!)
IMG954756.jpg

STK-300

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I noticed with kids and some women is they do not like side port muzzle brakes because of the blast some of which is directed back at shooter. I would watch for that when teaching someone to shoot a rifle.