Cartridge for new hunter

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
.308 Win...... For the Win!

30 cal can be loaded up or down, responsible for Harvesting several Deer, Moose, Elk, B Hear.

Can't go wrong.

Darryle

WKR
Buy a medium weighted rifle in 6mm Creedmoor and spend the money for the other 2 rifles on ammo, components and dies.

He'll be able to spot impacts, Browning X-Bolt Predator Hunter is a good choice, plenty of weight but not too heavy.

Rich M

WKR
I like the 350 Legend inside 300 yards. Tossing a 150-180 gr bullet, it gets full penetration. I'm not sure about wind drift. Light recoil, comparable and slightly less than 243.

I've not been too impressed w my 243 or the folks I've hunted with who have lost or needed extensive help finding deer shot with 243 east of the Mississippi Rv.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
I like the 350 Legend inside 300 yards. Tossing a 150-180 gr bullet, it gets full penetration. I'm not sure about wind drift. Light recoil, comparable and slightly less than 243.

I've not been too impressed w my 243 or the folks I've hunted with who have lost or needed extensive help finding deer shot with 243 east of the Mississippi Rv.
Do you know which bullets were being used in the 243?

fwafwow

WKR
Lol…you’re misrepresenting “presentation”; it is most definitely not “range”…

Form has been pretty specific about when the various bullets reach their limits (with .223/77TMK combo being about 450-ish yards).

Can you actually quantify that?
1670896614374.jpeg

If you're looking for a round for recoil sensitive shooter, I would look at the 7mm-08 (308 necked to 7mm) since you don't want the 6.5 creed. Disclaimer being I am partial to 7mm calibers (280 rem is one of my favorites). But in the end, you can't go wrong with the calibers you've listed. 308 is the most ubiquitous hands down and you should never have any issue finding ammo. I am personally not a fan of quarter bores like the 6mm creed, 243, and 25-06 for deer but they will most definitely do the job.
There are many opinions out there and this is just mine.

TheHammer

WKR
Assuming my autistic boy (11) is never going to beable to take on shooting, my daughters (both 7) will be in a savage 110 lightweight storms in 7-08 suppressed. The rifle will adapt with their body growth, and ethically handle everything in North America, it should also be rugged enough to handle mishandling of emotional little devils they can be. The one already wants to hunt elk and moose, ambition is quite ecstatic with the idea, she will walk into a room make a bugle noise and then walk out smiling(think she’s indicating she wants to see elk). I’m a 30 cal guy to the core. But there is no denying the 7-08s versatility and capabilities. It is less recoil then a 308.

Looking for some input here, which I know has been debated over and over. We’re looking to buy a rifle for a new smaller frame shooter (5’4”). I’d like to buy a tried and true cartridges that is not likely to “go out of style”. Not interested in 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC.

Been looking at .308, .270, and .243. Thoughts? Suggestions?
The 20th century options you brought up more likely to go out of style. Why not buy a 21st century option good for the next few generations? 21st century formula, ballistics, versatility. No factory ammo will touch the sales of the 6.5 Creedmoor over the next 100 years but I hear you on not wanting one or the PRC...too boring. So a 0-600 21st century build would be the 6cm 108 eld-m combo, grab a ruger predator, mdt chassis, magpul furniture and a Trijicon 3-9x40 accupoint green dot and future proof anyone including wife and kids.

If you're open to AR length cartridges have a good hard look at the 6.5 Grendel and 6mm Arc. You add about 150 yards with the 6mm over the 6.5 but for many users that would be useless so may as well chuck the 123gr pill instead of the 108gr. Eld-m all the way.

21st century formula, fast twist, heavy for cal high bc/sd, accurate geometry, factory everything support (custom/reloading becomes optional for 21st century performance), fit magazines/actions etc. Not a chance I'd be choosing a 20th century dinosaur for your ask.

I went this way and the kids have dial ups at 300/355 no sweat, I've done 420, we are 100% on 14 head of big game over 5 seasons plus a bonus wolf, moose/sheep/both deer/black bears, we watch it in the scope on longer stuff, average shot distance ~185, average recovery distance ~11 yards, we are about 6.5 ft/lbs recoil energy in 8 1/4 lb rig. 6.5 Grendel, Ruger American Ranch, MDT Chassis. Fits anyone, anyone shoots it well, can plink forever, unlimited barrel life, 1700 fps lands about 500 yard with Hornady Black Eld-M. Can't get the 6mm Arc yet in that rifle but would be a dandy choice when/if they start chambering it also. But I would build the below with the 22" barrel predator in 6CM in a heartbeat if I wanted a 0-800 yard potential and still wanted to fit everyone and see a lot of it happen in the scope, I'd run 108 eld-m factory ammo in it.
IMG_1912.PNG

Last edited:
A new shooter needs lots of practice. The most practical round for affordable high-volume practice ammo and versatility of hunting loads is easily the 308. Put a brake on there and double up ear pro for range sessions then take it off for hunting and confirm POI. they'll never notice the difference when there's an animal behind the reticle.
This right here!!!

If the 243 is on the list the 6mm Creed should be as well. I look at the 6 Creed as the modern 243. Updated case shape and twist rate. And since I have always seen factory ammo on the shelf for it even during the last few years that would be my number 1 choice.
Just tougher to find in a factory rifle

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
My choice would be the .270 Winchester.
-Very popular, almost every rifle manufacturer makes them in multiple configurations. Same goes for ammunition.
-Already a mild recoiler which could be mitigated further if necessary.
-Flat shooting for setting up maximum point blank range.

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
My vote would be for a 25-06, but one thing I noticed during this last ammo shortage was that 308 was one of the few calibers you could find on the shelf and numerous options