Carrying a pistol while scouting

Rich M

WKR
I carry when out in the woods.

As for protecting your kids. That’s your call - when and how.

You can carry without a round in the chamber and take the mag out when you go to sleep. Can also teach the little ones not to play w your guns.

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t carry while scouting with someone. Mostly because what happens when you spot a 200” mule deer and your partner sees it?

It becomes a whole ordeal trying to figure out how to claim it was self defense. Just too much of a headache

I don’t carry while scouting with someone. Mostly because what happens when you spot a 200” mule deer and your partner sees it?

It becomes a whole ordeal trying to figure out how to claim it was self defense. Just too much of a headache
Lol!

For people who are too literal. He is kidding!

Pikespeak

Lil-Rokslider
The JX Tactical low rider OWB holster works great for me. Drops the pistol beneath the pack belt and doesn’t interfere with anything.
Isn’t the waist belt of your pack way too high? My understanding is the weight should be on your hips which would overlap where your belt is

Isn’t the waist belt of your pack way too high? My understanding is the weight should be on your hips which would overlap where your belt is
Nope, works for me where it’s at, places the lumbar pad in the small of my back. Buckle on the pack belt is more or less on my belly button but I don’t wear my pants like Steve Urkle.

schmalzy

WKR
Nope, works for me where it’s at, places the lumbar pad in the small of my back. Buckle on the pack belt is more or less on my belly button but I don’t wear my pants like Steve Urkle.

I carry the same way and it’s the best I’ve figured so far. I use an ivory holster mounted as low as I can get with malice clips and run my pants belt through it. Super comfortable and doesn’t interfere with packbelt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I’m going to Colorado to do a little scouting before season. Wondering how many people actually pack a pistol when scouting/bowhunting just in case you run into a bears or lions? If so what is your preference on how to carry the pistol? I would think that the holster would get in the way of the backpack, etc.

much appreciated.
I always do -- I am in PNW so it is not grizzly country, but plenty of blackbears, especially in spring. I Prefer a .40 cal -- but I know that's a whole different debate.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Always packin when scouting checking cams or shed hunting….never needed it over 4decades till two yrs ago….took my lab Odin were back in checking cams….looking at sd card on a seep noticed momma with 3 Cubs coming in a lot…was watching Odin and looking around and had stuff scattered saw something downhill cut crease then another mind instantly went momma bear and Cubs coming in to water…saw two Cubs go up tree 40 yds downhill grabbed Odin took out my .45 and loaded it started collecting shit and then momma break out 40 yds steep below me and here she came…yelled and got ready let her get to 20 dumped two in the ground in front of her she slowed dumped one more at about 15 and she stopped….and started backing up she moved downhill and sat at the tree with cubs…we grabbed our stuff I loaded my second clip and moved uphill never turning our back…and moved on….this was a 200 pd black…I will always pack if I don’t have my rifle….several of my buddies have stared down black bears, seen cats on kills and had a wolf come by super close…better to be safe🤙

Okhotnik

WKR
So I’m going to Colorado to do a little scouting before season. Wondering how many people actually pack a pistol when scouting/bowhunting just in case you run into a bears or lions? If so what is your preference on how to carry the pistol? I would think that the holster would get in the way of the backpack, etc.

much appreciated.
Get a chest holster

I run mine on my kifaru belt in a kydex holster. I swap to a separate one if I'm not carrying the pack.

I don't really worry about bears and lions.

Even thought it has 1/2 the stopping power of an .82 auto? Pearl grips on mine

If I wanted a .454 revolver for running around town, I'd already have one. The .41 seems plenty adequate for the "in town and might run into a nut job" stuff.

Tmac

WKR
There's not a whole hell of a lot of Chicago gang-bangers or M13 cartel members in the backcountry. So who the hell needs to pack a pistol. Odd.
Me. Always. City, Suburbs, Backcountry, all yes. You don’t want to carry, don‘t. I’m not going to call you odd for not carrying, it’s simply personal preference. Nothing odd about carrying at all.

So how many Roksliders travel to their hunting spot with a pistol (for the two-legged threats) but leave it in their vehicle while they scout and/or hunt?
I always have it on me in the woods… I didn’t for a long time, I had the attitude of “why?” But after several thought provoking scenarios of wishing I had a pistol, I turned into a “why not?” Person packing a pistol in the woods… carried a glock 22 for a long time, then a glock 20, and now a Springfield hellcat which is what I’m sticking with, there is a lot to like about it for the task, and in my ivory holster, there is no downside whatsoever… there is no decent reason to not pack it… I carry it steelhead fishing too, it’s going to be very handy when I walk up on that lion while fishing, it’s gonna happen, and I have never seen a picture of a limit of steelhead on a dead lion… I have done it the same day, but never the same trip

I have had enough run ins with mobile meth labs, grows, and moonshiners on national forest land I always carry, sometimes it's rifle if there is no open season then pistol.
Some people have all the luck! Did you sell them to fund next year hunts? Find 2 in a day and figure out what unit you are gonna sheep hunt😉

manitou1

WKR
Don't get me wrong, I have loaded pistols and revolvers and shotguns and rifles stashed everywhere in various towns I hang out at. But as far as in the backcountry, I either carry one of my rifles or nothing. I just don't see the practicality of carrying a glock or an AR-15 or a sawed off shotgun in the backcountry, as personal defense against other humans, or even wildlife, for that matter. Of course, everyone dreams of being the next Steven Seagal, Jason Bourne, or Chris Kyle (lol).
This was about scouting. Who carries a rifle while scouting?
So you "stash pistol, rifles, shotguns in various towns you hang out in"? Like in the bushes, under rocks, under people's trailers?

This was about scouting. Who carries a rifle while scouting?
So you "stash pistol, rifles, shotguns in various towns you hang out in"? Like in the bushes, under rocks, under people's trailers?
I carry a rifle if there’s something desirable I can hunt while scouting for another animal.

Makes no sense to leave a rifle at home if I can legally hunt mountain lion and/or bear while scouting for deer.

But that’s me. Others who feel differently can do what they want. It is their choice to pass on potential opportunities.