Carrying a pistol while scouting

ldmay375

FNG
So I’m going to Colorado to do a little scouting before season. Wondering how many people actually pack a pistol when scouting/bowhunting just in case you run into a bears or lions? If so what is your preference on how to carry the pistol? I would think that the holster would get in the way of the backpack, etc.

much appreciated.
I carry a larger frame, 5.5" barrel or less revolver 99.99 % of the time. I use a chest type holster that I can adjust to position out of the way. Along with that, I have binos on a chest harness and a larger day pack. Same scenario when hunting with a rifle.
Before I tried a chest holster, I preferred a cross draw belt holster. After using a chest holster, beginning many years ago, belt holsters are still collecting dust.

tspesh

FNG
In Colorado you can carry concealed during hunting season while you are in the act of hunting even if you don’t have a concealed carry license. if you do not have a concealed carry license and you are not hunting you would have to open carry to remain legal.. then again if you are carrying concealed in the woods and you are doing it right who would ever know?

I use a Hill People Gear recon chest pack.
I realize this is an old post…but i don’t think this is accurate. Everything I’ve read is that if you don’t have a CC then you can only open carry. Inside your pack is concealed as well

def90

WKR
I realize this is an old post…but i don’t think this is accurate. Everything I’ve read is that if you don’t have a CC then you can only open carry. Inside your pack is concealed as well
Read (b)(3)(a)(II)

It reads that a person who may lawfully posses a handgun may carry a handgun without a concealed carry permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed if the person carrying it is in a private automobile or other means of conveyance or while engaged in hunting activities.

tspesh

FNG
Read (b)(3)(a)(II)

It reads that a person who may lawfully posses a handgun may carry a handgun without a concealed carry permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed if the person carrying it is in a private automobile or other means of conveyance or while engaged in hunting activities.
I'm not familiar with any situation where you're not allowed to carry in your car so then I guess the question is what they mean by "means of conveyance".

Is a pack a "means of conveyance"?

I called CPW about this a while back and they informed me you needed a CC while out there to carry it in your pack or otherwise not open. In other words, my interpretation is that you need a CC.

Not a lawyer, just an idiot in the woods...

def90

WKR
Well, the link above is the text from the actual state concealed carry permit law. The state concealed carry law says that a lawful person carrying a handgun concealed while legally hunting does not need a permit to do so.

I'm not familiar with any situation where you're not allowed to carry in your car so then I guess the question is what they mean by "means of conveyance".

Is a pack a "means of conveyance"?

I called CPW about this a while back and they informed me you needed a CC while out there to carry it in your pack or otherwise not open. In other words, my interpretation is that you need a CC.

Not a lawyer, just an idiot in the woods...
I don't believe "means of conveyance" is meant to cover foot travel. I read that as horse, mountain bike, things that convey without being a motor vehicle.

Part II, of subsection three, clearly states "legally engaged in hunting activities." To my eyes, that means it does not matter weather the firearm is concealed by a garment, pack, or other accessory.

I'm guessing you got a response from a person who did not know the verbiage of the law.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have this document printed off and in possession.

fingers

FNG
Yes, Glock20 for me most the time. I'm not in grizzly country often but every year or so someone get's eaten by a black bear as well.

Really, I just feel more comfortable having a firearm in the woods. I have ran into some questionable folks on trail and in the parking lot at trail heads.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Ruger super redhawk 44 mag 350 gr. Loads guides choice chest holster double speed feed holster on the belt. I shoot my bow left handed and carry for a right hand draw with my pistol it doesnt seem to get in the way at all and I can keep it under my vest so it doesnt even get seen unless I need it. I like the guides choice because its comfortable concealable solid and tight right up against you and very quick to get to if needed.