Carrying a pistol while scouting

I'm in Montana and usually solo. There's no official griz where I go but I've cut bear tracks the size of dinner plates. I know there's huge blacks in there. But there's also griz on either side of the highway from me. There's also a ton of moose. I really don't worry about cats. Hell I'd love a good cougar mauling!
I carry a Glock 40 10mm in a Gunfighters chest rig under a Marsupial Gear little Joey. There's no need for glass where I hunt.

It's definitely a great peace of mind having a gun I can shoot very very well with a weapon light on it. And last year I actually did take a little black with it the day after gun bear opened while hauling my elk out. It wasn't a threat. But any legal dent that can be made in the bear population is a good thing as there's not many bears being killed there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Northern Virginia, but I always carry scouting.

We have a lot of bears where I hunt, not to mention coyotes.

Only time I had an issue, I was followed by a rabid fox, and all I had was a pocket knife. Never again. kept it away from me with a long stick, and rocks.

Only thing I worry about is a sow with cubs, and rabid fox or coyotes.

Bears usually run when you come across them, but you never know.

Moose are actually more dangerous than bears. The reality is that you're more likely to die at the hands of your wife or girlfriend or in-laws (truly) than you are by bear mauling. Packing a pistol or revolver as bear protection is truly, truly merely carrying dead weight just to look like some sorta badass (lol).

SonnyDay

WKR
Moose are actually more dangerous than bears. The reality is that you're more likely to die at the hands of your wife or girlfriend or in-laws (truly) than you are by bear mauling. Packing a pistol or revolver as bear protection is truly, truly merely carrying dead weight just to look like some sorta badass (lol).
Exactly! One time out scouting my wife jumped out from behind a rock at the same moment my girlfriend leaped out from behind a tree! Sure glad I was heeled…

So I’m going to Colorado to do a little scouting before season. Wondering how many people actually pack a pistol when scouting/bowhunting just in case you run into a bears or lions? If so what is your preference on how to carry the pistol? I would think that the holster would get in the way of the backpack, etc.

much appreciated.
Like other replies here, I carry almost everywhere anyways, it certainly won’t hurt

gibby97 said: So I’m going to Colorado to do a little scouting before season. Wondering how many people actually pack a pistol when scouting/bowhunting just in case you run into a bears or lions? If so what is your preference on how to carry the pistol? I would think that the holster would get in the way of the backpack, etc.

My recommendation is to know the state laws where ever you are hunting, scouting or hiking. For example in WA state, if a resident is engaged in lawful outdoor activities, ie hunting, fishing, etc you can can carry concealed without a CCP. Or you can open carry as well under those same circumstances including state parks. I am not sure if that applies to non residents or what the law is regarding non residents.

I find myself on some popular hiking trails from time to time sharing the trail with hikers, that can be an issue sometimes during early bear season in Aug/Sep when I have my rifle. However, in general I have an Alaskan Creations holster with the molle attachments that fits the waistbelt on most of my packs. Lots of times when hikers and kids are around, I drape a small face towel/large bandana over it to cover the sidearm. I am not looking to alarm anyone or get into a verbal confrontation with some KAREN. It is my right to carry, but in my opinion that does not always mean I need to draw attention to it. There are some bino packs that have holsters or places to put your side arm and have access to with out unzipping on either side.

grfox92

WKR
The comments against carrying while scouting, hiking or hunting is a bit surprising.

This is my thoughts. Pretty cringe worthy philosophy from some of the anti gunners.

I'm on this forum because I thought I was around like minded people. Some of us think very differently.....which is ok. Just surprising based on the genre of the forum.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Like many others have stated I carry daily so scouting and just another day for me so I carry. In Missouri we don't have huge tracks of remote land so running into individuals up to no good is fairly common. Yes we have black bears and other predators but generally they are more scarednof you than you are of them. I carry for the 2 legged predators and protecting myself and my family.

I carry a fold up rifle inside my pack, if I’m scouting. This is PA though, most everybody at least where I’m at in the state, at least have truck guns. I carry something for them, not the big chunky bears that reside here.

Loved in the front range for a couple years, I’d carry. Why not? Better to be prepared. As already stated homeless folks are everywhere there.

You think all of them are homeless because they want to be? Or some aren’t on the run already? They have less to lose than some hiker they have been watching from a far. For that reason I keep a gun close.

MTChurch

FNG
So I’m going to Colorado to do a little scouting before season. Wondering how many people actually pack a pistol when scouting/bowhunting just in case you run into a bears or lions? If so what is your preference on how to carry the pistol? I would think that the holster would get in the way of the backpack, etc.

much appreciated.
Carry all the time. Even to church. You never know when you will be the only thing available to administer Justice.

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
A guy down the road from me just had his face stomped off by a moose or "de-gloved" as the incident report put it.

Mark.c

FNG
Always carry when scouting. Mostly for the 2 legged predators around the trailhead which are the biggest threat.

Dalton138

FNG
There's not a whole hell of a lot of Chicago gang-bangers or M13 cartel members in the backcountry. So who the hell needs to pack a pistol. Odd.
It all depends on what youre doing on the way there/back, and what else you might be doing that day. Id rather have it and not need it instead of the other way around.

Dalton138

FNG
So how many Roksliders travel to their hunting spot with a pistol (for the two-legged threats) but leave it in their vehicle while they scout and/or hunt?
If Im saddle hunting, I do stash it in my vehicle, or sometimes just leave it at home. I need to just start putting it in my bag instead.