Careers

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Union Ironworker myself, but any type of union work will give you what you want. Operators, Electrical, plumber, etc. Apply in the apprenticeship programs and never look back.

Depending on the year I normally take 8-10 weeks off.

Dogone

FNG
First: do something to make good money,oil patch, construction , wildfire fighting , whatever makes a lot of money quickly. While doing this keep an eye out for a small business for sale. You should have some knowledge and interest in it but doesn’t have to be an obsession.
I know several people who have done extremely well doing this. Some people say “follow your passion”. I say follow the money and enjoy it.

Construction=Lineman
Healthcare=ICU RN to CRNA

This opinion is based on a long career in the building trades with a transition to nurse as a second career. I'm too old for CRNA school or it would be my only focus.
im intrigued what age did you transition to nursing and did you do some sort of adult school or community college program?

Fatcamp

WKR
im intrigued what age did you transition to nursing and did you do some sort of adult school or community college program?

I graduated nursing school two weeks before my 50th birthday, three months before the start of the pandemic. 🤪

My state has a non-traditional transitional school that allowed me to pick away at University prerequisite credits while still having a family and a job. Once I got close to having those done I applied to a two year nursing program.

Prior to that I had never taken a college class, and really had to start at square one. I chose a BSN degree because I knew it paid real money, and the options were extensive for employment. I am currently an operating room nurse.

Rich M

WKR
Was mostly just wondering what value it's supposed to provide, if any. Since people keep saying to get it.
This is referring to college degrees? or field experience?

They are like any kind of training. The trained person makes more $ than the untrained - and rightfully so.

Some guys make unbelievable money.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
The real reason so many small businesses are not selling, most are vastly overpriced.

Companies get valued based on workload and income. Then they base payments on 8-10 yrs timeframe, sometimes less.

Just cause a bank won't give a business loan on them doesn't mean they aren't worth every penny - especially for younger guys.

Jmort1754

WKR
Nursing- get your experience in making 60-70k as a staff nurse then travel for a bit. Make good money, in some cases excellent money work 12 days a month....

Downside you're at the whim of others, doctors, patients, asshole nursing supervisors.

Upside, as a traveler during the pandemic for instance I made more than most doctors,

As a traveler now I make more than most doctors.

I am specialized with specialized training however and can run devices that not everyone can.

Get 2 years in a high-volume ICU, and go CRNA, thats my plan, already have way over the required time, family time comes into account now.

wesfromky

WKR
The number one thing you can do if you want to maximize your recreational time is not have kids. So, be good with the single life, or find a women who is on the same page.

The number two thing you can do is to think more in terms of how fast you can get to semi retirement/FIRE. Which is a function of pay and spending. No kids, plus living like a broke college student while making 6 figures will lead to a lot of options.

tony

WKR
I took close to 10 years to get an associates degree in nursing. I worked full time and this 24 hour shifts allowed to trade time, have rows of days off, etc. I was actually in what they called “special education “ classes as a youth. Basically learning disabled, my math was horrible. Still not the greatest! And I was hyperactive, took Ritalin .
This all meant I had to take “placement“ classes in college. Basically another college money grab. So I worked on getting the math out of the way first, then the English classes, then the science classes. I took one maybe 2 classes a semester. I started out work on my BSN at first, got a D in a science class and that dropped me from the program. Took the class again and got a B next time and could not get in the program after 2 attempts.
So I went into Ohio and the local small university was more than happy to take my money. I graduated in 2009 with the associate in nursing. In 2019 I started my bachelors of nursing and finished in 2021. There was no financial incentive to me rushing through the BSN program. I did it more for myself.

Maybe I’ll share the time the female professor felt me up in class because she thought I was cheating :p

SWOHTR

WKR
If you can't decide, I'd recommend a military career. We're hurting for talent and recruitment all over the place. Benefits - 30 days of paid leave/year, enlistment bonuses, Post-9/11 GI Bill earning, you can use Tuition Assistance, Tricare insurance is good, etc. Plus, some of the schools are highly technical and directly transferable to the civilian sector, such as...anything electrical (I'm specifically thinking Navy Electrician's Mate, Machinist's Mate, Electronics Technician, Machinery Repairman ("Machinist"), Hull Technician ("Welder").

I also would NOT rule out the Coast Guard. Holy cow, the places they get to serve and the things they get to do. They have stations in Alaska, on the Great Lakes, Florida, overseas...very versatile! You could deploy to the middle east, be stationed on a buoy tender on Lake Superior, or drive an icebreaker to one of the poles. Or fly SAR. Or drive a lifeboat in some of the nastiest surf (look up their lifeboat school in Oregon).

Re: your comment on "ideally making high 100s." Good luck! I have a B.S. and Master's degree and make just over 100k, after 12 years in.

WKR
k more in terms of how fast you can get to semi retirement/FIRE. Which is a function of pay and spending. No kids, plus living like a broke college student while making 6 figures will lead to a lot of options.
Sounds awful, no thanks.

I’d say lineman but then you mentioned time off lol. Most days run long, days when your off the phone rings and rings. Those who have a lineman job with plenty of time off have it made because it truly is a rewarding career. Best wishes

IDVortex

WKR
Reading this has made me talk to my wife again about doing a full career change into nursing. Been looking and applied for local LEO jobs, but I don't think that is wise foe family life. Thought of nursing before, but I'm not book smart, but hey, maybe it's time to get serious about it, only 32 so still have time to make a career change and get a good retirement