Careers

I took close to 10 years to get an associates degree in nursing. I worked full time and this 24 hour shifts allowed to trade time, have rows of days off, etc. I was actually in what they called “special education “ classes as a youth. Basically learning disabled, my math was horrible. Still not the greatest! And I was hyperactive, took Ritalin .
This all meant I had to take “placement“ classes in college. Basically another college money grab. So I worked on getting the math out of the way first, then the English classes, then the science classes. I took one maybe 2 classes a semester. I started out work on my BSN at first, got a D in a science class and that dropped me from the program. Took the class again and got a B next time and could not get in the program after 2 attempts.
So I went into Ohio and the local small university was more than happy to take my money. I graduated in 2009 with the associate in nursing. In 2019 I started my bachelors of nursing and finished in 2021. There was no financial incentive to me rushing through the BSN program. I did it more for myself.

Maybe I’ll share the time the female professor felt me up in class because she thought I was cheating :p
thank you for the insight. ironically I'm currently a special education teacher. work 9 months out of the year, weekends, nights off and we have a good union so i make decent money and my school is good but I'm always kind of wondering about what if. I got all the job security in the world though. I think I thoroughly underestimated the schooling that is needed for nursing and the nights and weekends is not appealing at all with a young family. I think it might be best to just keep my current career trajectory and look for something I can do maybe remote or on the side for side cash when I'm on break or in summer. Congrats though I'm glad it worked out for you

Fatcamp

WKR
thank you for the insight. ironically I'm currently a special education teacher. work 9 months out of the year, weekends, nights off and we have a good union so i make decent money and my school is good but I'm always kind of wondering about what if. I got all the job security in the world though. I think I thoroughly underestimated the schooling that is needed for nursing and the nights and weekends is not appealing at all with a young family. I think it might be best to just keep my current career trajectory and look for something I can do maybe remote or on the side for side cash when I'm on break or in summer. Congrats though I'm glad it worked out for you

Nursing school is notoriously tough. My whole journey was 5 1/2 years, and at the end I still had to go to work to learn how to really be a nurse. Way more nights, weekends, and stress than I like to think about.

It was something I felt was right for me, but not something I would reccomend lightly.

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
The number one thing you can do if you want to maximize your recreational time is not have kids. So, be good with the single life, or find a women who is on the same page.

The number two thing you can do is to think more in terms of how fast you can get to semi retirement/FIRE. Which is a function of pay and spending. No kids, plus living like a broke college student while making 6 figures will lead to a lot of options.
Or find the love of your life and make a pile of them! Then God opens your eyes to a whole new world! Elk hunted for 2 wks in Colorado last fall with them! My 3 oldest boys shot 6 deer this year. Oldest got his first bow kill at 12. The boys dragged my mature buck out of the timber for me! A life without this crew is unimaginable! I always have someone to shoot bows with! Another bonus is Colorado and Wyoming youth points are only $10!!!!! ;)
image000000.jpeg

7mm-08

WKR
Reading this has made me talk to my wife again about doing a full career change into nursing. Been looking and applied for local LEO jobs, but I don't think that is wise foe family life. Thought of nursing before, but I'm not book smart, but hey, maybe it's time to get serious about it, only 32 so still have time to make a career change and get a good retirement
Take it from someone who retired from a command staff position in federal law enforcement, if you want happiness and satisfaction in your life, law enforcement is NOT the way to go. Lots of firemen (and many others who have posted on here) love/loved their jobs. You'll never be able to say that as a LEO. I discouraged my son from pursuing a federal law enforcement career and he became a flight nurse - what a gig. (See my post above - #4.)

CMF

WKR
If you have mechanical, electrical, welding, or QC/Inspection experience, there are opportunities in nuclear outage work. They run from Jan-June and Aug-Dec., but they are usually only 2-6 weeks each, meaning you can just skip the ones that overlap with hunts. Work schedule is usually 6-12s. You can have the summer and winters off to start a side business, hunt, fish, whatever. There's quite a bit of hunting to be had in Dec-Jan if you're willing to travel. 50-150k+ depending on how much you work, and per diem is not taxable. If you get on night shift you can hunt in the mornings. There are sometimes management areas or forests nearby with turkey and deer opportunities.
With any of the traveling work, keep in mind that if you homeschool, you can bring the family along.
And having a camper reduces the per diem spent while making a great base camp for hunting trips.

Last edited:
If you have mechanical, electrical, welding, or QC/Inspection experience, there are opportunities in nuclear outage work. They run from Jan-June and Aug-Dec., but they are usually only 2-6 weeks each, meaning you can just skip the ones that overlap with hunts. Work schedule is usually 6-12s. You can have the summer and winters off to start a side business, hunt, fish, whatever.
You working for a joint like bechtel, or contracting out to plant operators during outages? Finish an electrical engineering degree in May, I have some power plant experience, and am feeling out options.

CMF

WKR
You working for a joint like bechtel, or contracting out to plant operators during outages? Finish an electrical engineering degree in May, I have some power plant experience, and am feeling out options.
Contract. QC/Inspection. Work for multiple companies to pick the jobs that give me the best schedule. Long spring season, short fall season.
Electrical QC is desired. A lot of guys aging out.

Nursing school is notoriously tough. My whole journey was 5 1/2 years, and at the end I still had to go to work to learn how to really be a nurse. Way more nights, weekends, and stress than I like to think about.

It was something I felt was right for me, but not something I would reccomend lightly.
I spent 8 years in the military and my jobs once I got out were pretty limited especially for the area I lived. I am in my last year of nursing school and being prepared to pass the NCLEX mostly and it is difficult. It's one of the hardest things i've done. I have to learn to be a nurse once i'm licenced because book learning isn't application. It's hard changing professions at 42 but it will be worth it.

Contract. QC/Inspection. Work for multiple companies to pick the jobs that give me the best schedule. Long spring season, short fall season.
Electrical QC is desired. A lot of guys aging out.
How important is a PE/PMP in that field?

TravKatQ

WKR
Lineman has been mentioned... Been a good career for me. I work remotely from home in WY inspecting california powerlines via drone photos for issues (new aspect of the industry), and make more than i ever did working in the field. IF I was in my 20s, I would be contracting in cali making 400K+ a year easy, and investing the hell out of it for 10 years, then be set. I know guys who make 300+ and work 8 months max a year and take all hunting season off. Im happy with my gig now, i take as much time as i want off when i want to, and am an independent contractor basically with zero overhead. I will always have my IBEW card, and can chase a storm or go contract quick if i need to make some big money fast ever. I spent 10 years guiding, and didnt get into linework till my late 20s, you can always make a better life for yourself no matter the age.

Sounds like a killer deal right there! I’m thinking of switching careers and trying to move into Lineman work…currently in the oil and gas industry in CA and it’s an everyday battle to keep producing in this damn state…currently 33 years old so want to make the switch before I get too old lol…had a cousin go through Lineman College in TX and go a job right out of school and has since moved a few companies making a killing money wise…thinking of doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I spent 8 years in the military and my jobs once I got out were pretty limited especially for the area I lived. I am in my last year of nursing school and being prepared to pass the NCLEX mostly and it is difficult. It's one of the hardest things i've done. I have to learn to be a nurse once i'm licenced because book learning isn't application. It's hard changing professions at 42 but it will be worth it.

I have no regrets.

Good luck and do those practice questions!

I have no regrets.

Good luck and do those practice questions!
I truly appreciate the honesty. I work in a busy ER currently and it seems every nurse hates there job. I always think to myself there are a million paths you can take in nursing if your not happy fix it.

lintond

WKR
You didn’t ask directly but you seem like a classic college student who has no idea what they want to do and then around 30-35 you look at life and are upset with where you’re at. I’d suggest find a career you enjoy because you spend way more time working than hunting.

Some shift work gives good flexibility (Nursing, fire) but my friend who’s a police officer doesn’t have much flexibility and has to wait for shift bids to sort out PTO.

I also feel that taking time off often has more to do with the individual than the job/company. My wife & I work for the same company in similar positions and she struggles to take time off and I don’t.

SWOHTR

WKR
You didn’t ask directly but you seem like a classic college student who has no idea what they want to do and then around 30-35 you look at life and are upset with where you’re at. I’d suggest find a career you enjoy because you spend way more time working than hunting.

Some shift work gives good flexibility (Nursing, fire) but my friend who’s a police officer doesn’t have much flexibility and has to wait for shift bids to sort out PTO.

I also feel that taking time off often has more to do with the individual than the job/company. My wife & I work for the same company in similar positions and she struggles to take time off and I don’t.

This is a great response. I'm 35 and 13 years into a career. I have a 35 y/o buddy who keeps hopping around...

And agreed re: time off.

tony

WKR
I truly appreciate the honesty. I work in a busy ER currently and it seems every nurse hates there job. I always think to myself there are a million paths you can take in nursing if your not happy fix it.
I did ED work and had to get out. The fat useless welfar leeches using the ED as primary care and a pharmacy just wore me down.
Been playing nurse in a prison for the last 3 years. No ass kissing for perfect survey scores. They start running their mouths I show them the door.
Murders, lifers, anyone with a sentence over 10 years are usually some of the nicest, laid back people you could meet. They for the most part respect the system and keep the younger ones in line.
Telling people I get paid to yell at women all day is a great conversation starter as well :ROFLMAO:

awhit13

FNG
Construction management ain't it if you're looking for a bunch of free time. There is decent money to be made there though
I have to agree here. I’m currently in this field of work and while it pays great, it’s hard to get significant time off work. When you do get time off, it seems like the phone never stops ringing anyways.

You can dance in any field but in any of them you will face burn out. In retrospect I guess a component to look at is the number of sub-specialities that you can branch into over your career without ever leaving your field.

I spent a career in the mining industry but in the support side or specialty fields rather than production. It gave me more freedom than the grind of rock in the box.

Part of success is where it is located and who you are working for. There are a number of managers that should have remained in custodial positions.

MT257

WKR
If I'm reading the licensure rules correctly you still need 6 years of qualifying expierience to become a surveyor in CA (degree counts towards 4 of them if surveying emphasis). Degree or not, you still need to get past that requirement. Posting this more of a question. I'm a civil PE and often wondered what it would take to get my PLS short of getting expierience with a crew?
Does your state have the option to be an ES? I know this is more of a thing of the past. It’s an engineering surveyor. Basically showing your qualified in both. It’s kinda a thing of the past today, most wanna be an engineer because the pay is likely better. You’d likely be able to use a lot of your engineering schooling to work toward the licensing process of becoming an LS. But I would bet if you look to the state licensing board you’d find out the amount of surveying required courses needed at a minimum.

I’ve been thinking about construction management a bit. Helicopter pilot, airline pilot, Cop. For a long time I wanted to coach college football (I’ve been playing in college, just had to end that due to an elbow surgery), I also decided I wanted to be able to hunt more and coaching doesn’t lend much time to that.

I’ve always been very entrepreneurial, started little businesses all through high-school and a couple in college. I did sales and I was decent at that but I don’t love it all the time. Worked construction and didn’t mind that. I’m good with people and I’d say I’m a good leader. I get bored with doing the same thing over and over and I enjoy being active at work. I thought it would be cool to be a wildlife photographer and I love photography but there’s not much money in that at all. It’s been hard to commit because I have so many different things I enjoy and so many different ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk state are you in? It’s insane how many details you just named that we have in common.

I’ve been thinking about construction management a bit. Helicopter pilot, airline pilot, Cop. For a long time I wanted to coach college football (I’ve been playing in college, just had to end that due to an elbow surgery), I also decided I wanted to be able to hunt more and coaching doesn’t lend much time to that.

I’ve always been very entrepreneurial, started little businesses all through high-school and a couple in college. I did sales and I was decent at that but I don’t love it all the time. Worked construction and didn’t mind that. I’m good with people and I’d say I’m a good leader. I get bored with doing the same thing over and over and I enjoy being active at work. I thought it would be cool to be a wildlife photographer and I love photography but there’s not much money in that at all. It’s been hard to commit because I have so many different things I enjoy and so many different ideas.

What state are you in? It’s crazy how many details you just named that we have in common.
I’ve definitely been there, just many years in the past…staring down the end of a football career, not sure what the hell to do, just wishing I could get paid to hunt and fish.