Carbon Spyder Turbo and Short BH Bows

Whisky

WKR
Kind of combining a couple things here....

First of all, anybody got some good hands on with the CSTs yet, through a chrono? I haven't shot one yet, but will be soon. I've been reading there is some disappointment with the speeds this year with the new cams. A few folks claim under IBO. Just curious what your experiences have been.

Next part, anybody have much for BAD experiences in hunting situations with a short BH bow? I only ask because recently I missed a coyote at 22 yds due to the string on my Spyder 34 hitting my arm. My fault, forgot the arm guard on the floor of my garage that morning. But hunting late season, in bulky clothes, I don't imagine it gets any better with a 6" BH bow. I'm not worried nor care about the forgiveness side of things, just string slap.

Thanks

I shot the faktor turbo and the chill r through a chrono. Both bows were 30" draw, and set at 66 llbs, with a 418 grain arrow. Both bows were hitting 301-303 fps. If the string is hitting your arm, try shortening your draw by a 1/2". Might help. I didn't shoot the carbon spyder turbo (didn't want to, because of the price). I don't know if the new cams hit IBO, but the draw is smoother, and has a little more valley than the RKT cams.

I wasn't happy with the noise the new Hoyt's made, so I won't be buying one. Just not for me, and that is fine.

In terms of the arm guard and the string hitting your arm, I would think that is more or less your form. Yes, it may have a "little" to do with a short brace height and like mentioned above your DL. (You'd be surprised what a shorter draw length will do to your accuracy...)

In this day and age... The speed era... No one wants to shorten their draw length it seems.

boom

WKR
arm guard?

i havent worn an arm guard since my scouting days. is your DL correct for you?

i hike and hunt. all day long i am taking clothes off when it gets warm..adding clothes as it cools. an armguard would not be an option for me. i get annoyed taking my release off and on.

only time i had arm slap on a modern bow. 7" BH..my DL was long for me. you would be surprised what a shorter DL can feel like.

MattB

WKR
Arm slap, especially with a bow with a string stopper, is probably more about form and DL than BH.

Arm slap, especially with a bow with a string stopper, is probably more about form and DL than BH.

Definitely a form/grip problem. I have shot a few short BH bows and never had an issue. Adjusting your grip to put the pressure of the riser more on the palm of your thumb/center of wrist should eliminate the problem.

I wasn't happy with the noise the new Hoyt's made, so I won't be buying one. Just not for me, and that is fine.

In terms of the arm guard and the string hitting your arm, I would think that is more or less your form. Yes, it may have a "little" to do with a short brace height and like mentioned above your DL. (You'd be surprised what a shorter draw length will do to your accuracy...)

In this day and age... The speed era... No one wants to shorten their draw length it seems.

How is the new Hoyt loud? I shot the new Hoyt's next to last years and them seemed significantly quieter to me.

Gus

FNG
I would venture to say that many (if not most) cannot tell the difference in brace height (6.75 in vs 6 in) at the shot. bad form is bad form at the shot - the bow is a machine designed to do the same thing time after time.

jmez

WKR
If you are shooting a Spyder 34 and getting arm slap your draw length is too long. You shouldn't need an arm guard, even with bulky clothes. With correct draw length and grip string slap is a non issue.

MattB

WKR
Often times bow noise is a function of timing/tune. It is hard to characterize a bow as loud unless these things have been validated. A lot of bow noise comes from accessories, so that needs to be considered/isolated as well. There may be a reason that the new model is louder, but given the similarity in riser design and cam I cannot theorize what would cause that.

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
I should mention, I have never been slapped in thousands of practice shots with different long sleeve shirts on, early season, or mid season. When I got slapped the other day I was ground hunting whitetails in sub zero temps and had multiple layers on, including a FL puffy and a bigger fleece jacket over the top of it all. No arm guard was my mistake. And I could have had piss poor grip due to rushing the shot and the gloves I was wearing.

That said, you guys tell me (if you can tell), if you think my DL is too long. These pictures were taken Spring time when I was working on correcting some form issues. When I buy a new bow I also draw back 28 and 28.5" models and 28.5 always seems to be the better fit. By the way, I have since starting closing my grip more then you see in the pictures.

grip_zpse4c1d70b.jpgdownload-4_zpsce2ae506.jpgdownload1-2_zps7fa76160.jpg

I think it is too long. Does it feel too long? Have you compared how well you shoot over time with a shorter DL than what you are setup at now?

What is the duct tape for?

vcb

WKR
It doesn't look long to me. W posture is straight up...no lean back etc.., release arm looks close to parallel with arrow and elbow is right behind the arrow...However, Nick brings up a good point. I too have been interested in shooting my bow 1/2" shorter DL to see if it helps pull groups a little tighter...

i know one thing....if you are questioning it, you will never like bow. It doesn't get better under stress with an animal or with a puffy on in cold temps.

I personally think it is a bit long but thats just me. It looks like you are stretched to the max and slapping your arm. Perhaps that is not fair from a pic.

Just my opinion

boom

WKR
i think it looks long. experiment. clip your release directly to the string below the d-loop and see how that feels.

Have someone take a picture of you at full draw directly behind you. Your right arm should be in a straight line with the bow string. If its pointing behind you its too long.

Manosteel

WKR
I don't think it looks long. However it's hard to tell what a persons bow arm and shoulder are doing through pics ( I.e. can't tell if its rotated naturally or if the shoulder is set right or grip is natural)