IW Wide Vented vs non-Vented

Matlax

FNG
Curious if anyone has experience with the non-vented version of the Iron Will wides. Right now I’m shooting the 100 gn with a 100 gn insert. I’m thinking about trying the 150 head with a 50 insert to get rid of the flight noise. I’m wondering how much less forgiving the non-vented version is and how much quieter it is. Shooting GT Hunter XT 300, 16.5% FOC (with the BH on), 518 gn total weight. I was shooting them fine with 3 fletch but went with 4 for some extra forgiveness in the heat of the moment and noticed that tightened things up a tiny bit at 40 yards and beyond. I say that to say my bow is pretty well tuned and my form is consistent. Please don’t reply with “any BH shoots well out of a properly tuned bow”. In my case, I know when I’m leaning out or my heart is racing, it’s different than standing in the backyard shooting foam so I’d like to know the difference between the two. I’m totally confident in the vented ones and have killed with them…just looking to get rid of some noise. Thanks!

OP
M

Matlax

FNG
I was at 268 fps with DW at 62 lbs. I haven’t checked since cranking up to 66 lbs but I figure mid-270’s by the 2 fps per pound increase rule of thumb. I could be way off on that but I didn’t need to make much of a change to my sight when I went higher DW. Thanks!

Bump79

WKR
I was at 268 fps with DW at 62 lbs. I haven’t checked since cranking up to 66 lbs but I figure mid-270’s by the 2 fps per pound increase rule of thumb. I could be way off on that but I didn’t need to make much of a change to my sight when I went higher DW. Thanks!
What species are you after? For 30 and in - I don't think venting noise at that speed will make a difference. It bothers me too though so I generally avoid venting but I think I've over emphasized it 30 yd & in. For elk they don't jump as much so I'd be fine with vents out to 35 or 40.

I haven't shot the IW vented head but in my experience venting helps out a TON in arrow flight 285+ fps. Lower than that and you can get away with more surface area. The equation for planeing has velocity squared in it x surface area (I think). So velocity plays in big time for forgiveness.

Here's the best advice I've got - regardless which one you go with. Get one solid head and tune to the unvented head at the same weight. Maybe even tune that solid head with a 3 fletch or smaller profile 4 fletch. You'll expose your tune big time- moreso than bareshaft tuning. Then screw on the same model but vented and you've just added a ton of forgiveness.

I did this with my Tooth of the Arrow heads. I bought the TOA S Regular and liked them quite a bit for that price point. They flew great alongside my other forgiving head. I picked up a few TOA XL Solid and shot those at 50.. Oh boy! I think some fine tuning and got those the group well. Now I have even more confidence in the TOA Reg Solid or my 3 blades. I might even pick up some TOA vented heads to play around with again for long shots.

Reactions: Zac
OP
M

Matlax

FNG
What species are you after? For 30 and in - I don't think venting noise at that speed will make a difference. It bothers me too though so I generally avoid venting but I think I've over emphasized it 30 yd & in. For elk they don't jump as much so I'd be fine with vents out to 35 or 40.

I haven't shot the IW vented head but in my experience venting helps out a TON in arrow flight 285+ fps. Lower than that and you can get away with more surface area. The equation for planeing has velocity squared in it x surface area (I think). So velocity plays in big time for forgiveness.

Here's the best advice I've got - regardless which one you go with. Get one solid head and tune to the unvented head at the same weight. Maybe even tune that solid head with a 3 fletch or smaller profile 4 fletch. You'll expose your tune big time- moreso than bareshaft tuning. Then screw on the same model but vented and you've just added a ton of forgiveness.

I did this with my Tooth of the Arrow heads. I bought the TOA S Regular and liked them quite a bit for that price point. They flew great alongside my other forgiving head. I picked up a few TOA XL Solid and shot those at 50.. Oh boy! I think some fine tuning and got those the group well. Now I have even more confidence in the TOA Reg Solid or my 3 blades. I might even pick up some TOA vented heads to play around with again for long shots.
Awesome ideas. Thanks!

Zac

WKR
I would just never do it with a compound. That is just way too much surface area. That would probably be the most unforgiving setup that there is. I think the planing would be a way bigger issue than noise at that point.