Let's help some guys/gals get their first archery elk!

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Thought this had some good info...just another perspective...but hard to argue the guys success on heavily hunted public land (which applies to most of our hunts).

Pekan

FNG
I'm addicted to archery elk hunting.
I want more hunters to know the same...which equals more support for hunting and elk habitat. Yes I know tags are already hard to get...but that's a better problem than no elk hunters to fight on my side!

Who has already hunted 2+ seasons and still looking to bag their first archery elk (my only experience is archery so that's what I'm sticking to)...and is planning to hunt elk again this fall?
Do you think you're getting close or still a ways off?
What are your biggest questions or shortfalls as far as you're concerned?

I didn't punch my first tag until my 4th year. I hunt 1 week (usually 5-6 days hunting) each year and I'm still learning. Let's see if we can help some guys/gals punch their first archery tag this year!
Feel free to PM if you don't want to reply on this thread...but I hope this thread leads to some great tips...Rokslide helped me a ton in my early days.
This is a great post.
I'm a seasoned rifle elk hunter, but haven't been successful with a bow yet. Someone else mentioned you need 1000 things to go right, I'd agree with that.
I've had a few close encounters during bow season:
Herd bull with cows raking and going crazy. I let out one cow call and the whole party shuts up, cows round up the bull and take off! If I could do it over I would drop back a bit and do some challenge bugles.

Bugled in a bull while having my lunch.... I sat down, let out a bugle, grabbed a sandwich and look and there's a bull in the open at 80 yards. He's looking around but there's no cover between us and I'm in the wide open! He eventually gets spooked and retreats back into the trees. Lesson was to never bugle unless you're ready to hunt.

Hunting too close to private land I don't have access to.

Not realizing I called in a silent bull until it's too late.

Hunting country so think you'd need a 5 yard shot to not hit a branch. But you know there's elk in there.

Cow called in 5 rag horns that all ran in together. Came in from the exact opposite direction I expected. Hung up at 50 yards but wide open shooting lane. Then I realize my hunting partner is frozen still beside them. I don't shoot for safety reasons.

Every September I bow hunt, every September I learn something else not to do!
Archery Elk hunting can be hot, tiring, boring at times. But then you get rewarded with some real action and it keeps me coming back.

It took me a few years to finally figure elk out. The biggest bonus for me is I'd found a spot all on my own. And I learned it inside and out. No bouncing around to different spots. Which isn't always possible.

Once I learned the elk and how they used the habitat I started getting more encounters.

But now sadly that spot has been ruined by go hunt and better trail systems. Also the mountain lion population went through the roof. So now there's not even any deer or moose in the area. Just a few elk that get pushed out quickly.

Maybe one day it'll be good again. Maybe the drive for non residents to go out west will die off.

Also studying Chris Roe was a huge help. Once I understood how elk talk to elk I did a lot better.

You can't underplay elk behavior and thermals. I found a spike camp last year in a bedding sanctuary area.
Also some dudes were camped right below a bedding area where we've actually killed a few bulls. It was a transition area.

Don't be completely stupid when picking your camp spots.

Find a spot further from the water and on a south slope. You still might have elk wonder into camp but it should be so bad as to blow the elk out for the people who know what they're doing.

Also too I'm actually going to do more from the truck hunting. Backpack hunting is played out. You simply can't out hike or go deep anymore. You'll think you're golden then stumble into a few out of shape guys from the Midwest. There may be some places left that are good but they're getting few and far between.

Pekan

FNG
It took me a few years to finally figure elk out. The biggest bonus for me is I'd found a spot all on my own. And I learned it inside and out. No bouncing around to different spots. Which isn't always possible.

Once I learned the elk and how they used the habitat I started getting more encounters.

But now sadly that spot has been ruined by go hunt and better trail systems. Also the mountain lion population went through the roof. So now there's not even any deer or moose in the area. Just a few elk that get pushed out quickly.

Maybe one day it'll be good again. Maybe the drive for non residents to go out west will die off.

Also studying Chris Roe was a huge help. Once I understood how elk talk to elk I did a lot better.

You can't underplay elk behavior and thermals. I found a spike camp last year in a bedding sanctuary area.
Also some dudes were camped right below a bedding area where we've actually killed a few bulls. It was a transition area.

Don't be completely stupid when picking your camp spots.

Find a spot further from the water and on a south slope. You still might have elk wonder into camp but it should be so bad as to blow the elk out for the people who know what they're doing.

Also too I'm actually going to do more from the truck hunting. Backpack hunting is played out. You simply can't out hike or go deep anymore. You'll think you're golden then stumble into a few out of shape guys from the Midwest. There may be some places left that are good but they're getting few and far between.
Joe Rogan blew up elk hunting

CJohnson

WKR
I think the biggest mistake most rookie hunters make is thinking that “covering ground” and “being mobile” means hiking 20 miles on single track trail systems all day.

There’s a lot to be said for walking slow, being quiet, and keeping the wind in your face.