Rx7 or Rx7 Ultra?

dapesche

WKR
so I currently have a 2012 Hoyt Spyder Turbo. 65# / 34 ATA / 6" brace / 4lbs / 80% let off.
I think the spyder draws around 68# with it maxed out.

My DL is 29"

the bow is fine really, but I just don't shot it that well. String angle, and mushy back wall, makes for inconsistent anchor points.
I like the weight, and will just keep shooting it for fun.

I want a dedicated hunting bow.

So the cycle for me isn't as much of a concern. It's more of the back wall and the hold at full draw.

I'd prefer to keep the bow light for packing the thing around the mountains. If I wasn't focused on weight I think I'd go for the VTM.

String angle wise, I find I always have to duck my head down into the string to get nose contact. My hope is that the newer hoyts have steep string angles.

So I guess top priority is:
1) good balance in the bow. My turbo does not balance very well.
2) relaxed hold: need to be able to hold for over a minute without feeling like the bow wants to jump forward.
3) string angle: i'd prefer to not have to duck at the string as it seems to me with my anchor as well.

*** I do not have any bow shows close by. I am a Lefty so my options are even less. Can't even shoot friends bows to see how theirs feel **

I've only ever had that Spyder Turbo. It's the only bow I've shot as well so I don't really know any of the subtle differences between brands.

I feel like I should just buy the rx7 in 65# and be done with it. But I the longer ATA has its perks from the sounds of it.

If you've shot or owned both these bows, is there anything that jumps out to you as a key difference that I should consider between the two?

thanks for the help.

The Axle to Axle is much different. The RX7 Ultra is a nice bow, but I couldn't get over how slow it was. I passed on it due to that alone.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
Ok. I think my arrow is in the 480gr range.

I have to believe the speed wouldn't be too bad with the ultra.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

I think you’re going to be let down without pulling some serious weight. It’s a slow bow, no other way to put it.

MattB

WKR
7's are last year's model, the 8's are the new ones. There are some nice benefits to the newer model which you might explore.

My sense is the shorter ATA bow would be better for you. Lighter, and the newer cams give them a more favorable string angle.

On your comment about relaxed hold, very possible your DL is too long. That is more an archer thing than a bow thing. The newer model's back walls are much more firm.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
I had sent this off to a bow shop to see if they though my draw length was correct at 29".

I got the thumbs up...
What do you think?

As much as I'd love to grab the latest in bow tech, the rx8 is just too much $.
0cf90034178d6ac379c6efc9154050e3.jpg

Je942010

FNG
Or if you like the longer ATA you can get a custom build from Hoyt. I have an Rx7 Ultra with S type turbo cams pulling 77LB and I’m shooting a 490 grain arrow 287fps with a 28” draw

fatlander

WKR
No way I’d go shorter than 33” ATA at your draw length. String angle on a 33” ventum is perfect at my 29” draw length.

Balance is subjective based on accessories and your own feelings. If weight is a huge concern, maybe consider the quivalizer.

I shoot a heavy bow really well. Ventum 33, spot Hogg triple stack, hamskea hunter, 5 arrow tight spot, front and back bars - 8.5 pounds. Heavy, but it stacks bodies and shoots really good scores on the 3d course.

Being a 29” draw, I’d look really hard at the aluminum hbx era 33” hoyts. They’re smoking fast at the top of the #2 mod. The rx ultras are sweet shooters but they’re pretty dang slow and they’re not much lighter than aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
No way I’d go shorter than 33” ATA at your draw length. String angle on a 33” ventum is perfect at my 29” draw length.

Balance is subjective based on accessories and your own feelings. If weight is a huge concern, maybe consider the quivalizer.

I shoot a heavy bow really well. Ventum 33, spot Hogg triple stack, hamskea hunter, 5 arrow tight spot, front and back bars - 8.5 pounds. Heavy, but it stacks bodies and shoots really good scores on the 3d course.

Being a 29” draw, I’d look really hard at the aluminum hbx era 33” hoyts. They’re smoking fast at the top of the #2 mod. The rx ultras are sweet shooters but they’re pretty dang slow and they’re not much lighter than aluminum.

dang. that is a heavy set up for sure.
I hike hard for elk in thick shit. I'd prefer my bow way less than my wife.

You points make total sense. I was very close to grabbing the VTM 34, but the weight deterred me.

I want my arrow going quick, but speed isn't that big of a factor when all my shots are within 30 yds.
4 of our 5 elk killed have been sub-12yds. The furthest was 25yds.

The draw cycle of that HBX sounds great where it is heavier up front and then it drops into the hold smoothly.

I had sent this off to a bow shop to see if they though my draw length was correct at 29".

I got the thumbs up...
What do you think?

Looks short for me, shorten release length and try 29.5”. Dloop length changes to dial it in. String angle/draw cycle on rx7 will be much better. ATA might be an issue due to draw length. I’m a shorty, so I can’t comment.

fatlander

WKR
dang. that is a heavy set up for sure.
I hike hard for elk in thick shit. I'd prefer my bow way less than my wife.

You points make total sense. I was very close to grabbing the VTM 34, but the weight deterred me.

I want my arrow going quick, but speed isn't that big of a factor when all my shots are within 30 yds.
4 of our 5 elk killed have been sub-12yds. The furthest was 25yds.

The draw cycle of that HBX sounds great where it is heavier up front and then it drops into the hold smoothly.

I carry my heavy ass bow all over the west too. It just flat out shoots better. I could slim it down maybe a pound going to a pic mount, epsilon over hybrid, and shorter bars; but she’s a shooter as is.

The difference in a 34” carbon hoyt and 33” aluminum is .35 pounds and 600 bucks.

MattB

WKR

I got the thumbs up...
What do you think?

Not bad but looks a touch long to me. From the pic it seems like you are leaning back a bit which is usually an indicator. Bow arm is straight and your draw arm is rotated back pretty hard (like you don’t have any more distance to rotate your shoulder and pull through the shot). This becomes even more pronounced if you are shooting off level (like uphill).

Most definitely not short.

Google up some pics of Levi Morgan or some other top pros and I think you will see that their form looks less “stretched out” than yours.

Marble

WKR
Looks short for me, shorten release length and try 29.5”. Dloop length changes to dial it in. String angle/draw cycle on rx7 will be much better. ATA might be an issue due to draw length. I’m a shorty, so I can’t comment.
I was going to say the same thing. With the 34 ATA, the string angle isn't the issue. It's probably a combination of form and DL. I would watch the School of Nock series from Dudley on YouTube and make sure you are standing correctly with good posture and proper foot placement. Foot placement can lengthen or shorten your DL enough to feel the difference. All of those little things together can make a huge difference with how comfortable you are shooting. If you are not comfortable, you won't shoot your best.

Generally, a heavier bow will shoot better, especially with a front/back bar combo. Practicing that way and. Taking the back bar off helps me take some weight off for when I hunt.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
Not bad but looks a touch long to me. From the pic it seems like you are leaning back a bit which is usually an indicator. Bow arm is straight and your draw arm is rotated back pretty hard (like you don’t have any more distance to rotate your shoulder and pull through the shot). This becomes even more pronounced if you are shooting off level (like uphill).

Most definitely not short.

Google up some pics of Levi Morgan or some other top pros and I think you will see that their form looks less “stretched out” than yours.
What's interesting is that I tried with the 28.5 mod and my holding are felt really bent and I really had to drop my head into the oeep. Went back to the 29"

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
I was going to say the same thing. With the 34 ATA, the string angle isn't the issue. It's probably a combination of form and DL. I would watch the School of Nock series from Dudley on YouTube and make sure you are standing correctly with good posture and proper foot placement. Foot placement can lengthen or shorten your DL enough to feel the difference. All of those little things together can make a huge difference with how comfortable you are shooting. If you are not comfortable, you won't shoot your best.

Generally, a heavier bow will shoot better, especially with a front/back bar combo. Practicing that way and. Taking the back bar off helps me take some weight off for when I hunt.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
I would agreed on the school of nock. I watched all those youtube posts and it lead to the best shooting I've did.

I've let it slip.

Form is definitely an issue.
I was having anchor problems as well and I became too focused on that and not focused enough on all the other components of a good shot.

To me it looks like you have your head tipped down (chin tucked) and in (face not flat to string). That would mean peep is too low and DL too short. Front arm looks fine. I would focus on getting draw length dialed in (don’t use a peep) at first, focus on getting to anchor with head up/straight and not have to move for string to touch nose. Then make sure head is up and straight to set peep.

The rx7 is going to feel better, due to improved string angle on your current bow. But shoot some longer ata ones along side it, they should fit you better, but you can weigh the pros/cons shooting both at the same time.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
To me it looks like you have your head tipped down (chin tucked) and in (face not flat to string). That would mean peep is too low and DL too short. Front arm looks fine. I would focus on getting draw length dialed in (don’t use a peep) at first, focus on getting to anchor with head up/straight and not have to move for string to touch nose. Then make sure head is up and straight to set peep.

The rx7 is going to feel better, due to improved string angle on your current bow. But shoot some longer ata ones along side it, they should fit you better, but you can weigh the pros/cons shooting both at the same time.
Thank you for the advice. Makes total sense.

Once I have my next bow I'll be sure to follow that process.

I like the idea of the long Ata because it has worked so far, but the idea of a light bow for lugging around during my big hikes is appealing too.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
Well I think I'm leaning back towards the rx7 ultra. At 70# my arrow will move at same pace as my 65# spyder turbo