Cannot get rid of low tear, Mathews V3X 29.

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Hamskea epsilon test timed properly. Zero fletching contact anywhere. 3/4" low tear at 5-6ft. I've re set my d loop several times. Messed with elevation of rest. Made certain it was timed perfectly.

Not sure what's left? The only way I could get rid of it is if my d loop was over 1/4" high and the arrow was at such a slope it looked like it was falling off the string.

I've been messing with it so much I forget if it was top or bottom, I think the bottom. When I backed the bottom limbs out 1/4-1/2 turn that also seemed to help.

Figured I would give up and ask for some advice.

There's nothing inherently wrong with tiller tuning (i.e., adjusting limb bolts).

It's also a good idea to confirm tears at multiple distances with multiple arrows.

And keep in mind that paper tuning is just a starting point. Broadhead tuning is the gold standard. Bareshaft tuning can be a helpful intermediate step.

You mentioned that you checked for the rest timing but did you make sure the cams are timed? I had this issue on my triax with a tail low tear
Good point. I read "made certain it was timed perfectly" as the bow being timed perfectly, but he may have been referring to rest timing. OP, definitely check cam timing if you haven't done so already.

SDHNTR

WKR
Cam timing. I would have started there before chasing my tail. You aren’t getting level knock travel because one cam is advancing ahead of the other.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Tiller tuning (backing bottom limb out), actually has the effect of moving the nock up higher relative to your rest, same as if you raised your D loop.

OP
C

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Tiller tuning (backing bottom limb out), actually has the effect of moving the nock up higher relative to your rest, same as if you raised your D loop.
makes sense. I guess one thing always affects another. I guess I can just live with a low rest, as I dont want to raise my nock any higher for when I shoot long range 3d, Start to get fletching contact on the bottom of my sight.

OP
C

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Cam timing. I would have started there before chasing my tail. You aren’t getting level knock travel because one cam is advancing ahead of the other.
So I thought too. I've got it hitting the cable stops perfectly in sync.

tdoublev

FNG
Do you have the right spined arrow? Recent thread on a similar issue with Matthews. If backing off poundage is helping, that seems worth following.

Reactions: Zac
OP
C

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Verified on a draw board? And do they also return to rest identically?
Yea I have a draw board and press. I haven't paid attention to them on the return. I would have to check. But let's say they aren't, how the heck would you correct something like that without affecting the timing at draw stops?

OP
C

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have the right spined arrow? Recent thread on a similar issue with Matthews. If backing off poundage is helping, that seems worth following.
Yea. Verified by pinwheel. Started at a lower weight and was shooting 400's but now I'm shooting 350s. According to the pinwheel software I'm slightly stiff whereas the 400 is obviously too weak

Marble

WKR
I would try and get someone else to take a look at it. Sometimes another set of eyes sees something you don't.

But like a few others said, tiller tuning is a good way to fine tune things.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
C

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
I would try and get someone else to take a look at it. Sometimes another set of eyes sees something you don't.

But like a few others said, tiller tuning is a good way to fine tune things.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Unfortunately I haven't found a competent shop within an hour or so yet. Lol

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
makes sense. I guess one thing always affects another. I guess I can just live with a low rest, as I dont want to raise my nock any higher for when I shoot long range 3d, Start to get fletching contact on the bottom of my sight.

Raising your nock point won't change your max range. You just need to raise your peep the same amount to compensate.

If you raise your nock point and don't move the peep, you're decreasing peep to nock height which robs range

True, but tiller tuning has other effects that moving the d-loop does not. Adjusting tiller will also have an effect on cam rotation. Tiller tuning may or may not solve the OP's issue but it's worth a shot.

whaack

WKR
Make sure cams are perfectly timed.

Confirm no nock pinch at full draw.

Confirm you string stop is 1/8” from string at rest.

After all that assuming you’re spined correctly I’d back the bottom limb out in 1/4 turns to see if that help

Also try another arrow to confirm it’s not an arrow issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zac