Camaro guys/ mechanics

I can’t figure out my uncles Camaro issue.

It’s a 2012 ss with only 10k miles on it. Original plugs.

It had a misfire about 7 months ago. It ended up just being a bad plug in cylinder 3. Now yesterday. Another misfire code. Cylinder 6. Also ended up just needing a plug . How can plugs with only 10k on them be going bad? The plugs don’t look bad.

It does have a tune, intake, headers, exhaust. But again. Plugs look ok. Can they be going bad from sitting and being unused? If anything the gap looks opened.

Thanks

Attachments

• 4CDE3751-F7C7-4120-A72E-2BFDB9A223B6.jpeg
    4CDE3751-F7C7-4120-A72E-2BFDB9A223B6.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 32

Randle

WKR
Gap looks excessive . May be the picture though
What does the external porcelain look like? Any carbon tracking there?
Headers can be hard on plug wires causng it to fire thru the the exterior porcelain .

Last edited:

Jacack

WKR
I got a 2013 zl1 turned, camed ect ect. 7k total miles and I just went trough thr same issue. One went then weeks later a second. Replaced them all and no issues since.

The passenger rear plug is a fun one

Jacack

WKR
I got a 2013 zl1 turned, camed ect ect. 7k total miles and I just went trough thr same issue. One went then weeks later a second. Replaced them all and no issues since.

The passenger rear plug is a fun one
I did wires at the same time just because

Marble

WKR
I can’t figure out my uncles Camaro issue.

It’s a 2012 ss with only 10k miles on it. Original plugs.

It had a misfire about 7 months ago. It ended up just being a bad plug in cylinder 3. Now yesterday. Another misfire code. Cylinder 6. Also ended up just needing a plug . How can plugs with only 10k on them be going bad? The plugs don’t look bad.

It does have a tune, intake, headers, exhaust. But again. Plugs look ok. Can they be going bad from sitting and being unused? If anything the gap looks opened.

Thanks
I would be suspicious of how good the tune is on the car. It's difficult to get a canned tune for that amount of modifications. The MAFs these days are pretty good and accurate, so a data log sent to someone that knows tuning could confirm the tune is good or not.

Having metered air escaping or unmetered air getting in can make the A/F be off. Or the counts on the MAF in relation to the set data points in the tune could be off.

We do plugs after bad fuel, detonation of any kind or when, after the inspection, they aren't right. They usually just get replaced for good measure after prolonged tuning sessions and or enough passes are made. We run anywhere from 18-36 psi at 600-1400 hp.

10,000 miles on a set of plugs on a street car with mild modifications definitely puts up a red flag.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

TerryB

FNG
What type of gas , it looks like you changed some things but not the bang stuff , running a little rich for what you need it for