The original victory rip is really dang good

I was trying to figure out how to get an arrow built up for turkey, 3d and summer practice that would be close to my rip tkos without being as expensive. I tend to break a lot of them shooting groups and shooting 3d and at 17$ or more per shaft for the elites (before components) it hurts to see them break.

I'm a long draw archer (31 inches) so if I shoot some of the other options for a 5mm on the market my arrow weight gets higher than I want for turkey, 3d and dropping bombs all summer.

I for some reason have always overlooked the victory rip. The original 5mm offering from victory just didn't seem impressive on paper so I'd always look past it.

Well, I finally dove in to try it. I bought a dozen victory rip original sports. I had originally intended to shoot them with gold tip traditional 600 insert and 3 aae max hunters for all summer. I checked fitment and honestly didn't love the diameter of the gold tip components because I felt like there was just enough carbon exposed to possibly cause issues in the 250 spine since the wall is a bit thicker. I ended up going with the stock 60 grain victory stainless. Other than the goofy size of 5/16 field tip, install went well with hot melt. I checked my dozen for straightness and didn't have one that I had to discard. My total arrow weight ended up being 472 grains with the rip and a 60 grain insert vs 462 with the rip tko and a 75 grain insert. After a month of testing outdoor, I can happily report that the durability of the 250 spine is as good as the rip tko for group shooting, and I might even say a touch better for nock end blow out due to impact from an incoming arrow on a 3d target.

I like them as much as the rip tkos, and if they hold up well to the abuse of a full summer of use I might even switch to them for all my hunting moving forward. I have loved the rip tkos, but the price has gotten to the point where it hurts a bit too much to use them all year long. I broke a few rip tkos the last few years on animals in ways that had me wondering if a thicker wall arrow might have helped.

Time and more testing will help prove or disprove my theory, but I think in the 250 spine specifically the rips with the thicker wall than the rip tko might hold up to abuse really really well.

I have been shooting rabbits all "winter" (no snow so how can it be winter) with them and have yet to have an issue with the 60 grain ss insert holding up on frozen dirt (especially since I ain't missed one yet) I have however smashed up my collection of Judo tips which leads me to believe the arrow and insert are durable enough for use.

Anybody out there use the original rips and have insight into long term hold up?

I am concerned for the stock components to bend but as of yet haven't seen an issue. I'd switch to the easton 75 grain components (or Podium 50s) if needed as I haven't had a single issue there.

big44a4

WKR
I was trying to figure out how to get an arrow built up for turkey, 3d and summer practice that would be close to my rip tkos without being as expensive. I tend to break a lot of them shooting groups and shooting 3d and at 17$ or more per shaft for the elites (before components) it hurts to see them break.

I'm a long draw archer (31 inches) so if I shoot some of the other options for a 5mm on the market my arrow weight gets higher than I want for turkey, 3d and dropping bombs all summer.

I for some reason have always overlooked the victory rip. The original 5mm offering from victory just didn't seem impressive on paper so I'd always look past it.

Well, I finally dove in to try it. I bought a dozen victory rip original sports. I had originally intended to shoot them with gold tip traditional 600 insert and 3 aae max hunters for all summer. I checked fitment and honestly didn't love the diameter of the gold tip components because I felt like there was just enough carbon exposed to possibly cause issues in the 250 spine since the wall is a bit thicker. I ended up going with the stock 60 grain victory stainless. Other than the goofy size of 5/16 field tip, install went well with hot melt. I checked my dozen for straightness and didn't have one that I had to discard. My total arrow weight ended up being 472 grains with the rip and a 60 grain insert vs 462 with the rip tko and a 75 grain insert. After a month of testing outdoor, I can happily report that the durability of the 250 spine is as good as the rip tko for group shooting, and I might even say a touch better for nock end blow out due to impact from an incoming arrow on a 3d target.

I like them as much as the rip tkos, and if they hold up well to the abuse of a full summer of use I might even switch to them for all my hunting moving forward. I have loved the rip tkos, but the price has gotten to the point where it hurts a bit too much to use them all year long. I broke a few rip tkos the last few years on animals in ways that had me wondering if a thicker wall arrow might have helped.

Time and more testing will help prove or disprove my theory, but I think in the 250 spine specifically the rips with the thicker wall than the rip tko might hold up to abuse really really well.

I have been shooting rabbits all "winter" (no snow so how can it be winter) with them and have yet to have an issue with the 60 grain ss insert holding up on frozen dirt (especially since I ain't missed one yet) I have however smashed up my collection of Judo tips which leads me to believe the arrow and insert are durable enough for use.

Anybody out there use the original rips and have insight into long term hold up?

I am concerned for the stock components to bend but as of yet haven't seen an issue. I'd switch to the easton 75 grain components (or Podium 50s) if needed as I haven't had a single issue there.

No insight in hold up. But I’ve made several dozen for friends standard RIP with HIT inserts and podium TI collars. Great results so far.

OP
E
No insight in hold up. But I’ve made several dozen for friends standard RIP with HIT inserts and podium TI collars. Great results so far.
I'm mad at myself for excluding them always. I've been searching a long time for a cheaper 5mm with a weight just under or around 10gpi in a 250 spine.

How dumb am I that I didn't even entertain them as an option!?

The victory rips are great. I know many who don’t like the stock inserts but with a 5/16 field point I don’t mind them at all and they are 60 grain stainless steel. The rip TKO comes with aluminum. If cost to performance is a factor it really is hard to beat the Victory rips.

I’m planning on picking up victory rips for my next dozen. I’ve been using the vf tko but want to go to 5mm and something that comes with stainless inserts

OP
E
The victory rips are great. I know many who don’t like the stock inserts but with a 5/16 field point I don’t mind them at all and they are 60 grain stainless steel. The rip TKO comes with aluminum. If cost to performance is a factor it really is hard to beat the Victory rips.
I hated the stock rip tko insert. Just an absolute flop in my opinion. The 60s seem ok so far and if that changes I have plenty of options now to choose!

OP
E
I’m planning on picking up victory rips for my next dozen. I’ve been using the vf tko but want to go to 5mm and something that comes with stainless inserts
Give them a shot for the money!

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Some of the spines are even close or the same to a rip tko weight so a guy could run rips all summer and rip tko if it was important to you. Or I'd bet you'd like the rips enough to hunt with them too

OP
E
Agree I’ve been happy with them especially as stock inserts. Really hard to beat these for performance to value
And they seem to pull from the target as good as my rip tkos and better, way better than my eastons. I just got back in from shooting and slapped a couple together shooting a group with no damage. Shot a vane off, but not a nick in the carbon.

I do wonder of the other spine weights are as durable as the 250s. I could technically shoot a 300 if I ran a 30 grain insert but I'd be borderline. Would be a great setup for long range 3d and maybe antelope since it would come out very light and flat shooting

feanor

WKR
Thanks for the info. I’m all about arrows that hold up and are a good value. I’m with you on the 20.00 / arrow setup being too much to stomach when you lose or break one. I’ll have to give these a whirl.

And they seem to pull from the target as good as my rip tkos and better, way better than my eastons. I just got back in from shooting and slapped a couple together shooting a group with no damage. Shot a vane off, but not a nick in the carbon.

I do wonder of the other spine weights are as durable as the 250s. I could technically shoot a 300 if I ran a 30 grain insert but I'd be borderline. Would be a great setup for long range 3d and maybe antelope since it would come out very light and flat shooting
I shoot 300 and they are durable

Beendare

WKR
You went with a 250 spine👍🏼

yep its more durable as its a heavier spine arrow With more carbon…going heavier spine for a hunt arrow in a compound is always a good idea as they tune fine.

In my experience, all mnfrs are this way; more gpi and stiffer shafts are more bulletproof in the field. When I shot some 8 gpi and under for 3d…now those were a stark difference in durability. ….no surprise thin wall and less carbon.

Last edited:
They are great shafts. I’ve actually built up the XV this year in a 250 spine and am surprised. I figured they would be fragile but have only blown up one arrow when I slapped a chunk of metal I didn’t see in the way. I’ve avoided them for years but wanted to tinker with a lighter overall arrow and bump the FOC. I’ll hunt them this year.

Zkep

FNG
I've been pouring over this decision going from .246 GT velocities (as it was such a simple and bombproof setup). I'm glad I saw this thread and I think I'll just go with RIPs and the standard insert and upgrade to the TKO and ethics or Easton HITs if needed. It's just tough to stomach paying close to 200 bucks for shafts then dumping another 60 dollars into components if you can get 90 percent of the performance for half the price. Glad to see there's a contingent of folks with the same idea and positive experiences!

I've been pouring over this decision going from .246 GT velocities (as it was such a simple and bombproof setup). I'm glad I saw this thread and I think I'll just go with RIPs and the standard insert and upgrade to the TKO and ethics or Easton HITs if needed. It's just tough to stomach paying close to 200 bucks for shafts then dumping another 60 dollars into components if you can get 90 percent of the performance for half the price. Glad to see there's a contingent of folks with the same idea and positive experiences!
You’ll be happy with regular RIPS I don’t feel the urge to go with TKO. Using 5/16th Gold Tip EZ pulls they fit great with the 60 grain stainless steel inserts.

big44a4

WKR

You can still use an Easton hit and podium TI collar on a standard rip for cheaper than TKO shafts. Thats what I have built several buddies who wanted the durability but not to spend TKO money on shafts alone.

OP
E
Man I feel that. I love good arrows but when I go through a 3d season and other dudes shoot up a dozen of mine... that really really hurts! I would honestly have no issue hunting with the original rips based on performance so far. I'll be using them for turkey and even potentially elk and deer this year. I still have some rip tkos, so I may compare direct groups at 100 to see if I can tell the difference.

OP
E
You’ll be happy with regular RIPS I don’t feel the urge to go with TKO. Using 5/16th Gold Tip EZ pulls they fit great with the 60 grain stainless steel inserts.
I don't actually hate the 60 grain stainless, but I'm still waiting for them to bend and or fail me as the internet is full of anecdote that they aren't that good. As of yet, no issues!

OP
E
You can still use an Easton hit and podium TI collar on a standard rip for cheaper than TKO shafts. Thats what I have built several buddies who wanted the durability but not to spend TKO money on shafts alone.
Now that's a solid setup. I bet that would be more durable than a rip tko and their factory aluminum components by a ridiculous margin.