PSA: Shut the DAM Gate!!

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
When we arrived at one of our fave spots, we noticed an unusual number of cattle in one of the sections. We also noticed a gate that had always been shut was open. With the hot weather, I assumed the rancher had opened it for water access or something. This ended up being not the case.
As we were packing up yesterday, we saw the rancher checking cattle, & ran into them on the way out. Very nice young family with 3 young kiddos. Asked us if we had seen a bunch of hunters headed that way (we'd only seen one, but the deer were pretty riled & had seen footprints, so knew someone had been in before us). They were missing 100 head & we told them the gate was open. Their faces both told me it was supposed to be closed before their voices did. It was close to 100F out, & going to stay that way for 4 days. Now this young couple was going to have to sort off their 100 head from the several hundred head out there.

Fot God's sake people, use common courtesy & leave gates how you find them!!! Hunters get enough of a bad rap without idiots doing crap like leaving stuff open that were closed, or leaving trash, or a myriad of other things we know we shouldn't do.

280Ackley

WKR
Lost a really good mule deer hunting spot because the rancher lost $20K (he says) because of that same reason. 500 head got out and he could get them back in and they lost a bunch of weight. He had to keep them over the winter to fatten them up. Next year posted no hunting.

S.Clancy

WKR
I have seen several places in BMA (Block Management) post on the gate whether it should stay closed or not. I was always taught to "leave the gate as it is" but that doesn't take into account some moron in front doing the opposite of what should be done. It makes it easier for a guy like me, cause when you drive by a gate that says "close gate" on it, but it's open I just pull over and correct somebodies mistake. Keeps it open for everyone.

ToolMann

WKR
Other side of this experience. Was antelope hunting my favorite spot this year. I ALWAYS leave a gate how I found it or what a sign says. Public two-track, federal land. Sign on post next to gate says "Close gate or stay out!!!". Wanted to leave a note saying "You're welcome for using my/our Public land for your private grazing". Went through that gate 8 or so times and it got me flustered every damn time.

ToolMann

WKR
The cattlemen/ranchers pay a significant amount of $$ for renting our public land…I kinda see their side as well. Leave the the gates as you find them or follow the instructions.
I get that. But they also don't need to put up sparky signs. A simple "please close the gate" wouldn't have bothered me at all. I'm so tired of them acting like they own the leased land.

fishslap

WKR
Other side of this experience. Was antelope hunting my favorite spot this year. I ALWAYS leave a gate how I found it or what a sign says. Public two-track, federal land. Sign on post next to gate says "Close gate or stay out!!!". Wanted to leave a note saying "You're welcome for using my/our Public land for your private grazing". Went through that gate 8 or so times and it got me flustered every damn time.
I always close gates but man there are some garbage “fence” style gates out there that are a pain in the ass to close. I don’t care how strong a guy is or how hard they can flex their ranch skills, some of the gates are a pain to close. My biggest complaint is the unnecessary barbed wire wrapped on the upper post where you’re trying to get the loop of wire over with 1/32” of play. I’ve had a couple of good cuts from those.

There’s one in my SWA hunting area that is often left open by others because of how difficult it is. I always fight with it to get it closed. Last season the rancher put a chain and padlock on it instead of taking the time to fix the thing to make it easier and safer. It’s on a main trail but there’s a separate a two track on a different route with a metal gate that the rancher uses.

ToolMann

WKR
I always close gates but man there are some garbage “fence” style gates out there that are a pain in the ass to close. I don’t care how strong a guy is or how hard they can flex their ranch skills, some of the gates are a pain to close. My biggest complaint is the unnecessary barbed wire wrapped on the upper post where you’re trying to get the loop of wire over with 1/32” of play. I’ve had a couple of good cuts from those.

There’s one in my SWA hunting area that is often left open by others because of how difficult it is. I always fight with it to get it closed. Last season the rancher put a chain and padlock on it instead of taking the time to fix the thing to make it easier and safer. It’s on a main trail but there’s a separate a two track on a different route with a metal gate that the rancher uses.
No kidding. I'm always excited when I roll up to a nice swing gate. The barbed wire ones, which are most common, can be a pain.

Baddog

WKR
I always thought if I was a rancher and had a long time commitment to a peace of ground I’d spend the up front cost for a cattle guard in place of a gate so I could sleep at night otherwise I’d always be wondering if some jackass left the gate open and my money was walking away…

Northpark

WKR
The cattlemen/ranchers pay a significant amount of $$ for renting our public land…I kinda see their side as well. Leave the the gates as you find them or follow the instructions.
$1.58 per pair per month. Changes year to year. Seen it as low as $1.37 and as High as $1.68

OP
FatCampzWife

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
I get that. But they also don't need to put up sparky signs. A simple "please close the gate" wouldn't have bothered me at all. I'm so tired of them acting like they own the leased land.
Just an assumption, but I'm going to guess the sign was probably put up after the umpteenth time having to load up horses/atv'st
/neighbors/whomever & go sort cattle because some dumba$$ public land user didn't bother shutting the gate. They sign up know people use the land, but common courtesy is (as it should be) expected.

Just an assumption, but I'm going to guess the sign was probably put up after the umpteenth time having to load up horses/atv'st
/neighbors/whomever & go sort cattle because some dumba$$ public land user didn't bother shutting the gate. They sign up know people use the land, but common courtesy is (as it should be) expected.
Careful, this is a friendly positive site. Calling names I don’t believe is allowed.

OP
FatCampzWife

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
Careful, this is a friendly positive site. Calling names I don’t believe is allowed.
True, that. My apologies. I've BEEN that person stuck sorting cattle or horses because of someone else's actions. I'm also a public land hunter and grew up on a farm, so I very much see both sides. It makes me angry when people that haven't felt the consequences of a careless action get mad at those who are just asking for a little common courtesy in a shared space.

I do, however, get super annoyed when the rancher decides to fill an area with bulls...BIG bulls...

ToolMann

WKR
True, that. My apologies. I've BEEN that person stuck sorting cattle or horses because of someone else's actions. I'm also a public land hunter and grew up on a farm, so I very much see both sides. It makes me angry when people that haven't felt the consequences of a careless action get mad at those who are just asking for a little common courtesy in a shared space.

I do, however, get super annoyed when the rancher decides to fill an area with bulls...BIG bulls...
You missed the point of my post. A rancher asking for a little common sense is understandable, as I stated. Them being a jerk about it is annoying. I've never wanted to leave a gate other than how I found it or requested except that one.