Caliber choice advice

boom

WKR
hey..Hawaii has a feral cattle population. get that .325 WSM just in case you come across a wild bull!! i've heard hunting them is similar to a cape buffalo. dangerous. it sounds like the ultimate island adventure. with a lighter bullet, the rest of the animals would die easy.

there are some great thread floating around about those cattle hunts. awesome reads.

AZ Vince

WKR
270, 308, 30/06, nothing sexy but they've been killing stuff deader then a door nail for a long long time.

When I read your post I initially thought, ".308 Winchester."

It's nice to see I'm not alone. The .270 is a good round also but for your locality it won't give you anything over the .308 in my opinion.

OP
D

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies and input. Snipershirt, that is one sweet setup you got there.

Backstrap pretty much nailed it. We don't have a lot of what is available ammo wise like over on the mainland. That is why .308 is out of the question. Any military style round is gone before it hits the shelf. I always see 30-30 and 30-6, and most usually .270 along with .243. Shrek, you are mighty persuasive with the 7mm, but until I start reloading, no can braddah. It's just not on easily acquired. Still haven't made a purchase on a gun yet, so I'm just saving at this point, at least till i make up my mind...

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I don't own one but based on the game, terrain and distances you mention, my choice would be a 7mm-08. My favorite short action rifle is a Ruger M77 Hawkeye topped with a Leupold VXII 2-7x33 scope. I have this combo in a 358 Win which is one of my favorites.

bobhunts

WKR
Like triple said the .243 is often overlooked. I have not used it a'lot but when I did it is as he said 450 yards is max. I shot a pronghorn at exactly that yardage and reclaimed my bullet on the opposite side just under the hide. That would tell me all of the energy was spent in the animal at 450 yards and it did the job but I would not use that round beyond 400 yards again. Not gonna be my Pronghorn rifle even though it shoots so fine. I will use something with a bit more punch at longer ranges. Bob.

crumy

WKR
Actually have a 243, a 7mm-08 and a 300 win mag. (savage, remington, ruger) I hunt with the 300. Simple reason is because of something I figured out 4 years ago when going through the same thing you are. I learned from reading and talking to people to use as much gun as you feel comfortable shooting. Dead=Dead. All three guns have killed elk, antelope and deer in Wyoming. Ironically, the 243 has killed the largest one. If you are lucky enough to have access to friends with the different calibers, go shoot them and figure out what you like. As far as preference, I actually enjoy shooting the 300, 243, 7mm-08 in that order.