Buh Bye OnX .... Hello GAIA!

WyoKid

WKR
I've got the Gaia private land layer added and it displays on my map, but when I click on the landowner name shown on map, nothing happens - any tricks for getting landowner info other than name to display?
Click on the name and then "i" for detailed info on ownership.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201224-121250__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-121250__01.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20201224-121238.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-121238.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20201224-121250__01__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-121250__01__01.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 38

WyoKid

WKR
I’ve just come across this post, I’m a long time hunt stand user does anyone know how to move waypoints from hunt stand to Gaia.? Best wishes
I have not used hunt stand.....but you could import the file or create the way points with GPS coordinates. Go to the right upper screen and click +. A menu pops up for options.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201224-122733.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-122733.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 25

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
Heres a screen shot of two different county lines joining. You can see the private land boundaries in one county but not the other.
8e23ff4c9196077c9eb18fbf7d197210.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

WyoKid

WKR
Heres a screen shot of two different county lines joining. You can see the private land boundaries in one county but not the other.
8e23ff4c9196077c9eb18fbf7d197210.jpg

I see what you are saying....I noticed the same thing but it might be lagging.....here is what my screen shows. One time I called customer service and they said that you can overload your phone memory if you have a bunch of layers all turned on at the same time because it take time to load each layer. Think of it as a book with 100 pages on top of each other and you are trying to see page 99. Once I reduced my active layers to half a dozen, or the ones I really needed, the problem went away. That might work if you have 20 layers turned on at the same time. Or, contact Gaia's CS to see if they can help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201224-123833.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-123833.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 32

WyoKid

WKR
One other tip I discovered about the layers. On the right side you see these mini-grid. You can tap and hold to drag them up or down to active or inactive layers.

You also notice that the main active layer can be changed this way as well...just tap and drag it to the bottom as the main map.

The green up arrow and red x on the right are self explanatory.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201224-124758__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-124758__01.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 32

Erict

WKR
Just downloaded and paid for the premium version. Like what I see so far but wouldn't you know that the county I primarily spend the most time hunting and camping in doesn't have land owner or boundary information! Thats a real bummer! ONX has it, wonder whats up with Gaia not?

What county? I was able to find the area WyoKid above was looking at and all of the property information in that area shows fine for me. I am confident it is something you are doing, or not doing, to cause the information to not be displaying as you expect.

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
What county? I was able to find the area WyoKid above was looking at and all of the property information in that area shows fine for me. I am confident it is something you are doing, or not doing, to cause the information to not be displaying as you expect.
Wayne County Mo.

Ohhh Man.

Just for sh!ts and giggles, I purchased Gaia to give it a try (for a lot less $$$ than OnX!)

So far it blows OnX outta the water.

I can scroll thru ALL 50 States, see where public land is at, land ownership, send waypoints to friends, on and on!

I typically hunt multiple states each year and being able to have the same APP features throughout each state is so nice!

No more BETA 3D updates in September like OnX did - that was a deal breaker.
I’ve never heard of Gaia before but thanks for the info! I’ll have to check them out because I’ve never been a huge fan of onX.

Block

WKR
My OnX has been acting up BIG TIME since they added the 3D... I can’t even use the 3D without my phone freezing up.. Could possibly be Verizon just bending me over since a newer IPhone is available .,, love how phones just start acting up when the new ones come out .,, That shit is NOT coincidence.. it’s been happening since the blackberry days.. FTW

NoWiser

WKR
My OnX has been acting up BIG TIME since they added the 3D... I can’t even use the 3D without my phone freezing up.. Could possibly be Verizon just bending me over since a newer IPhone is available .,, love how phones just start acting up when the new ones come out .,, That shit is NOT coincidence.. it’s been happening since the blackberry days.. FTW
I have Sprint and have the iPhone 12 Pro. OnX was absolutely trash on my last hunt. It froze up constantly. I don’t know how many times I had to restart my phone. If I were you, I’d ditch OnX before your phone. The most frustrating part is that OnX auto-renewed right before it went to hell.

Matt1214

Lil-Rokslider
I've had nothing but good luck with OnX. I like the idea of gaia though as they also have a lot more hiking and off road trails as well. Might just have to make the switch, especially since I jeep and have carplay

Block

WKR
I have Sprint and have the iPhone 12 Pro. OnX was absolutely trash on my last hunt. It froze up constantly. I don’t know how many times I had to restart my phone. If I were you, I’d ditch OnX before your phone. The most frustrating part is that OnX auto-renewed right before it went to hell.
Awww man that’s a bummer... yeah Iv def has good and bad months with OnX... Lately it seems to take longer and longer to get the map to “find you” when you push the button.. real annoying when ur tryin to drop a pin. Might have to give this Gaia a chance...

Erict

WKR
Wayne County Mo.

I am also unable to see any private land boundaries or information for the few places I tried in Wayne County, Missiouri. I have only 1 layer active - "Priveate Land (US)". That is the first time I've seen such a thing. I am using the Premium verison, fully updated on an iPhone SE 2020, so I don't think it's me or you doing anything wrong. May want to contact Gaia for more info. Good luck.

k.cooper42

Lil-Rokslider
Ohhh Man.

Just for sh!ts and giggles, I purchased Gaia to give it a try (for a lot less $$$ than OnX!)

So far it blows OnX outta the water.

I can scroll thru ALL 50 States, see where public land is at, land ownership, send waypoints to friends, on and on!

I typically hunt multiple states each year and being able to have the same APP features throughout each state is so nice!

No more BETA 3D updates in September like OnX did - that was a deal breaker.

I’m gonna have to give this a try. Last year a buddy had OnX and I had BaseMap on a Wyoming elk hunt. I really like BaseMap but couldn’t get the topo layer to stay enabled over the top of the high res maps I downloaded for offline use. They were there when I had service but couldn’t enable the topo layer when in offline mode. Maybe I was doing something wrong but I never could get it to work. Had to keep switching back and forth between high res and topo maps. Workable but pretty annoying. Anyone compared Gaia to BaseMap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
Does this Gaia service require using a cellphone? I like that my separate GPS device just has the OnX chip inserted into it and so I don't have to use my phone for that stuff. Does this Gaia service have an offline option like that? Where you can DL what you need and be able to run it and work with it without cell service and without using a cellphone?

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
I am also unable to see any private land boundaries or information for the few places I tried in Wayne County, Missiouri. I have only 1 layer active - "Priveate Land (US)". That is the first time I've seen such a thing. I am using the Premium verison, fully updated on an iPhone SE 2020, so I don't think it's me or you doing anything wrong. May want to contact Gaia for more info. Good luck.
Emailed Gaia about the issues and got a response from customer support couple hours later! Basically, it's whoever Gaia gets their landowner info from is slacking and they have been made aware of the need for updated info!

Those of you who have been able to get google earth to Gaia as a custom layer could you pm me with the directions on how to do so. I’ve been using the app now for a few weeks and really enjoy it. Thanks in advance

highvoltage