2023 Colorado Elk Hunting E Scouting

Hey Guys,

I'm currently planning my second archery elk DIY hunt in Colorado and wanted some input from actual dudes on ways to key in on certain areas when you live out of state through e scouting. I spent hours and hours doing research on e-scouting and then marking waypoints last year in OnX and when I got to each spot most of them turned out to be a major bust. Some things I ran in to were terrain that was to gnarly for me to handle (like can’t even begin to try to hike through it let alone kill one and pack out), good looking areas with no sign or very old sign, very little elk sightings/no bugles. We didn’t really get into any elk besides one day when my dad had a bull at 45yds as daylight expired and tree in the way of his shot. This opportunity was also on a small chunk of private land that we most likely won’t have access to this year. When it came to public land we completely struck out. We mostly hunted in the morning, came back to camp at mid-day, and went out for an evening hunt. We did more of a base camp hunt style but have the option/willingness to do a spike camp style hunt this year. I do want to key in on some options for my dad, who is in 60s and not the best shape, to be able to hunt. We have 4 guys in our group and 3 of the 4 are in pretty good shape. I want to be able to get out with my pops a few more times before he can’t anymore. The other guys are more than capable of hiking 10 miles in a day. I am apparently the most tech savvy of the group, so most/all the e-scouting is up to me.

I know that elk need cover for beds, food, and water. So, these things are areas that I focused on last year but when I got there most of my waypoints were garbage. Last year, we heard reports of and suspected ourselves that the elk were staying high, even into late September. We hunted the last week of September. I imagine the same will be true for next season. I have zoned in on areas at/above 10,000ft this year.

One question I have, does anyone regularly run into elk below 10k if the weather is warm? I imagine that some spots in an area don’t even qualify due to not having the elevation. Are there key features and elevations that you like to key in on if the temperatures are on the warmer side?

The second question is about food sources. It seemed that there was a ton of grass last year, even in timber and at higher elevations. How does one identify a good food source from an app like OnX? Do you mainly try to identify green fields? With the grass everywhere, it didn’t even seem that the elk would need to leave the timber to an open field. One spot I thought was an open meadow turned out to be a clear cut from a logging company. Another area was a massive blowdown. Looking back on the blowdown, I should’ve recognized the difference on the app. Some other spots I found were super small, but I thought were decent sized on the app. I know that elk prefer south slopes to feed out, but I didn’t see any elk on the south facing slopes I marked.

My last question is about bedding, how do you identify a good bench for bedding versus a bad bench? Should benches be near any other markers such as food/water? Maybe there is no such way to identify the difference between and good one or not until you are on the ground. Most of the spots I identified last year were not good bedding sites. I also was easily tricked by topo lines. I thought for sure some areas had a bench and were relatively large and they turned out to be anything but. I do know to key in on north facing slopes as they prefer the coolness that it provides.

I appreciate any insight you are willing to share! (Sorry for the novel)

I don’t have much more experience than you but can address a couple items.
1. I have seen elk from 8500-10500 the same day in the same unit less than 5 miles apart in mid to late September. Some of those days, we got reports of elk above treeline too so that old and unhelpful (lol) adage that “elk are where they are” is really true.

2. I struggle with this at times too, but try to plan better to stay out all day. Bring lunch and eat it on the mountain while you call or glass. Take a nap, etc. Can’t kill them from camp. What I’m going to try this year is to map out two or three loop options of different lengths so I always have an option available to keep us on the mountain regardless of how fast or slow we are moving.

OP
E
I kinda figured that too but without seeing anything I just assumed everything was way higher than we were. We mainly hunted between 8,700 and 9,800ft. The monster peaks that shot above tree line teased me the entire time. Also, I have mapped out a couple loops and am liking that all day option a lot for this year. Chances are we will always return to basecamp at night and probably not camp where we finish the day. That takes an entirely different level of gear set up than I currently have. Although, each year I add a piece to make that possible.

Geewhiz

WKR
Normally I won't respond to a post like yours but you have convinced me that you have exerted at least some time and effort with a good post and well thought out questions.

To be blunt, there are no algorithms to determine that specific topography with such and such dimensions at such and such elevations within so far of feed and/or water will hold elk.

I will divulge my strategy and this is the truth. When hunting a new area that I have never spent time in before, I will not look for "spots", but rather general areas that for whatever reason in my mind appear to be elky. Before I bail off into a canyon or somehow commit to a more specific location, I am going to spend a good amount of time glassing to at least get eyes on something before I waste my time committing to an unknown. If you mark 1 "bench" or grassy meadow that looks "good" to you, and spend a day hiking to it expecting for some reason to find elk right there, you're wasting your time. Look over lots of country from highlands to lowlands and different types of topography and terrain. Even if your seeing animals from miles away at least at that point you have a lead. Also, and maybe this is the most important piece to the puzzle, while spending time behind your glass, be aware of what you cannot see, and maybe make an effort to get there. Elk are far from stupid and it is a fact that in high pressure areas they are drawn to what Randy Newberg refers to as sanctuaries.

All that being said, I've never hunted colorado, but there's no shortage of competition and similar landscapes where I do hunt.

Also, to your buddies that claim to be computer illiterate in an effort to not have to do any homework, tell them to pull their weight or hunt alone. Reminds me of group projects from college where nobody wants to contribute but they all want a good grade.

A few things that jump out at me…
You sound as if you’re a whitetail hunter.
If so, get that style or hunting methods out of your mind.

Second, you said going out for an evening hunt.
That’s not typically going to get you opportunities unless your spot is dialed.
I understand your pops is somewhat limited, so that’s likely the driving factor.

A lot of the things you’re asking about, really don’t pertain to elk hunting.
Think much bigger of an area.
Elk are always moving.

bsshaver

FNG
Keep trying. I been at it for almost 20 years and things i thought aren’t always the same year to year .
Most times you have to answer your own questions by putting in the work and finding the victories amongst the never ending failures.
Food is not always food when humans and cattle are factored in.
Elk are survivors, and really good at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Plenty of places, “spots”, I’ve seen or killed elk at one year had no sign of elk the next year. Population densities are better in some areas than others but if you are a whitetail hunter none of them are high by comparison

cnelk

WKR
1- In the areas I hunt the ‘zone’ is about 9500’ but the high elevation not is over 11,000’

2- Elk will travel miles to feed if necessary. Don’t overlook the clearcuts. Elk luv em but generally don’t leave much sign to know they were around

3- Bedding is all about the wind. Typically favors the elk.

OP
E
Normally I won't respond to a post like yours but you have convinced me that you have exerted at least some time and effort with a good post and well thought out questions.

To be blunt, there are no algorithms to determine that specific topography with such and such dimensions at such and such elevations within so far of feed and/or water will hold elk.

I will divulge my strategy and this is the truth. When hunting a new area that I have never spent time in before, I will not look for "spots", but rather general areas that for whatever reason in my mind appear to be elky. Before I bail off into a canyon or somehow commit to a more specific location, I am going to spend a good amount of time glassing to at least get eyes on something before I waste my time committing to an unknown. If you mark 1 "bench" or grassy meadow that looks "good" to you, and spend a day hiking to it expecting for some reason to find elk right there, you're wasting your time. Look over lots of country from highlands to lowlands and different types of topography and terrain. Even if your seeing animals from miles away at least at that point you have a lead. Also, and maybe this is the most important piece to the puzzle, while spending time behind your glass, be aware of what you cannot see, and maybe make an effort to get there. Elk are far from stupid and it is a fact that in high pressure areas they are drawn to what Randy Newberg refers to as sanctuaries.

All that being said, I've never hunted colorado, but there's no shortage of competition and similar landscapes where I do hunt.

Also, to your buddies that claim to be computer illiterate in an effort to not have to do any homework, tell them to pull their weight or hunt alone. Reminds me of group projects from college where nobody wants to contribute but they all want a good grade.
I appreciate the response. I will definitely utilize this advice this year. One of my main things when looking was, is it worth wasting a day on to find nothing at all. I still might have that mindset when scouting locations but at least I will be able to see an entire area instead of in the trees looking 50 yards ahead of me and nothing else. I felt like that is what I did a lot of last year and when I did set up on a ridge to spot, I was only looking at a small area.

Traveler

WKR
Some of this just comes down to getting to know an area year after year. If elk or fresh elk sign isnt there, move until you find it. Finding spots on google earth and expecting elk to be there just isn’t a plan for success.

Hunt all day, elk get up and move. Or you should be moving looking for them.

Elk are big animals, the spots to look for are big too. More about features than specific locations. My “spots” are 100-200 acres in size.

OP
E
A few things that jump out at me…
You sound as if you’re a whitetail hunter.
If so, get that style or hunting methods out of your mind.

Second, you said going out for an evening hunt.
That’s not typically going to get you opportunities unless your spot is dialed.
I understand your pops is somewhat limited, so that’s likely the driving factor.

A lot of the things you’re asking about, really don’t pertain to elk hunting.
Think much bigger of an area.
Elk are always moving.
My whitetails ways gave me away! It is definitely a mindset I will have to ditch to get after some bulls.

OP
E
Some of this just comes down to getting to know an area year after year. If elk or fresh elk sign isnt there, move until you find it. Finding spots on google earth and expecting elk to be there just isn’t a plan for success.

Hunt all day, elk get up and move. Or you should be moving looking for them.

Elk are big animals, the spots to look for are big too. More about features than specific locations. My “spots” are 100-200 acres in size.
I appreciate the advice! I feel like i have bought into the e-scouting as a way to locate elk(or any other species for that matter) a bit to much from online hunting gurus and ads. I've been whitetail hunting since I was knee high to a grass hopper, so it is definitely a change of styles. Also, without living in elk country I only get a week a year to hone my skills. Which is why I am trying to be as effective as possible. Nothing beats boots in the dirt.

DanimalW

WKR
My advice to a group of four is to drop each person off at a different spot for the first couple of days until someone bumps into elk. No point in teaming up to find elk. E-scouting doesn’t show you where elk are or where other hunters are. It gives you plan E, F and G when there are camps set up at the first four places you wanted to check out. If it’s terrain that you can glass, then you should each be glassing different drainages until you see some.

Gerbdog

WKR
Agreeing with the above. Stay in the woods all day, a whole lot of hunting just comes down to being in the right place at the right time.... in another word, luck. I dont necessarily think you need to hike yer butt off all day, but, keep note of game trails that you see cross / criss cross in an area, or a wallow, and when mid day comes around find some shade nearby one of these places and take your lunch break / nap / whatever.... your chances of an elk coming by are probably 10x higher in a location like this then back at camp of seeing an elk. Right place, right time.

Everyone has their own methods but this is what i normally do. Midday they are probably bedded and unless you heard them bugle their butts to bed, your very likely to bump them. They may get up and move (which is why your in a location to see them) or they may not. Mornings and evenings are when im doing my more aggressive hunting because they're up moving also. That said... if you have a bull happy to bugle from his bed.... get the wind right and get close.

When I approach a new unit, I do what you do and e-scout, drop waypoints that I think look good. I have a tendency to drop too many and don’t have the time to ground check them all, but what it allows is for me to rate them once I get to the unit. I MOVE, I glass as hard as I can in a spot until I feel like I gave it a real shot and then I go check new areas, if you’re mobile I’d hit the next ridge or next canyon or drive to a different drainage etc. your pops doesn’t have to go for everything, I’d also echo the idea of splitting up 1-2 people per spot. If it’s warm check the shade… just like deer and most other critters, they can just show up so don’t get too discouraged and say things like this unit doesn’t have any, typically not true. Hope this helps and good luck, hope to see a first time elk kill post 🤙🏾

WyoKid

WKR
All good tips. I will add that you definitely have to put the miles in to find elk. E-scouting might tell you generally about the topography but there are often hidden rolls, folds, ravines, holes and basins you don't see until you are in the woods. I have found mature bulls in odd places and often where there is little sign - they go there because nobody else is there. Just keep at it. As for your Dad, station him somewhere where he can watch a ridge, ravine or escape route while you take a walk.

I would focus more on finding areas you can glass a lot of country from than looking for specific areas to go stomping through, especially with that big a group. Spread out along a ridge that lets you glass a bunch of "spots". Stay on the glass until you or one of your group gets eyes on critters. Then figure out why they are there, and what your plan to hunt them is. With 4 people, 2 people working a spot and 2 sitting on likely escape routes or watching from up high for the 2 working an area to move animals is a better strategy than 4 people stomping through timber.