Bring sharpener for fixed blade or ditch it for a Havalon?

Hey y'all,

Thanks for any input. I'm hoping for advice for a backcountry kit for boning out a mule deer. I want to go very lightweight as I'm hunting far out there but don't want to sacrifice my ability to do a good, thorough job. It will be my first time butchering a deer and I want to do it well.

The question is, if I buy a sharpener for my Morakniv Companion that I already own is that a decent setup? Or would I really benefit from having something like a Havalon Piranta? Would anyone make an argument that I should really be bringing both?

Thanks Much,
-S

sndmn11

"DADDY"
Would anyone make an argument that I should really be bringing both?

Thanks Much,
-S

I do, and I take a small ceramic or steel for the fixed blade. Your safest knife is going to be the sharpest, so regularly touching up but blades will keep it gliding rather than dragging. I like the handiness of the piranta sized blades, but don't overlook the barracuta sized blades either.

I would not start with a Havalon, as it taks time for most to learn to use it without breaking blades. Havalons take a gentil touch while keeping the blade moving to cut. Basically it's a scaple. If you put pressure on the blade, it breaks pretty quickly. With that said, all I've used for years is a Havalon, from start to finish skinning, gutting abd deboning. I can do an entire deer with 1 blade.

My advice is use a good fixed blade. A good stainless or mangacut knife can easily do a deer without sharpening. But since your just starting out, bring something small to touch up the knife, as you will likely drag it across bone instead of sliding it along the bone. You can also take a Havalon on hunts, and try your hand at it, but it will likely be a learning process.

Maverick1

WKR
I would only bring a knife and a sharpener. If you are concerned about losing, breaking, or chipping a single knife, just buy another Morakniv Companion (for $25 or so) and bring it with.

Over the years, I have read too many instances on this site (and others) where hunters have inadvertently cut themselves replacing the blades on the disposable/replaceable blade-style knives. Sure, those styles of knives might work really well, and appear to be safe, except when they aren't. Naysayers might pipe in and say "I've never cut myself using that type of knife" - and that's fine. But, stuff happens. And, when it's at the end of a long day, it's dark, and you are undernourished and dehydrated from the day's activities, that is when an accident is most likely to happen. Don't underestimate how different your mind and body work - or don't - under such conditions. IMO that situation is probably one of the most dangerous times in the backcountry; no need to add a thin, breakable, "I need to concentrate and be steady" knife to the equation at that moment in time. KISS, fixed blade or folding blade.

If either of those options are not appealing, just bring along a fixed or folding blade with a S30V or S90V steel and you likely would not have a problem quartering a deer using the gutless method without having to resharpen the knife.

Good luck on your journey!

On my first attempt to use a Havalon, I broke several blades. I am generally hard on gear, but this was enough for me to switch back to fixed blades. I find that I am more confident in using a fixed blade and it doesnt take much to resharpen them if you are consistent with it.