Heirloom Meat Processing Knife

treillw

WKR
I've got a bucket of knives that I've used for years to process elk and deer meat each fall. Was thinking it would be cool to get a nice one made to use every year that could eventually be passed down to family. I'm thinking a fillet/boning knife style.

Suggestions on somebody to make one? Other nice options?

What steel would you use? Magnacut?

I don't want to spend utterly crazy amount on it, but am willing to pay for something nice.

I have a Ken Onion knife sharpener that works really well, so I'm not afraid of steels that are hard to sharpen if they are going to hold an edge better.

Thanks!

HbDane

WKR
I've got a bucket of knives that I've used for years to process elk and deer meat each fall. Was thinking it would be cool to get a nice one made to use every year that could eventually be passed down to family. I'm thinking a fillet/boning knife style.

Suggestions on somebody to make one? Other nice options?

What steel would you use? Magnacut?

I don't want to spend utterly crazy amount on it, but am willing to pay for something nice.

I have a Ken Onion knife sharpener that works really well, so I'm not afraid of steels that are hard to sharpen if they are going to hold an edge better.

Thanks!
I’ve had a few knives made by Jordan Danz, he’s a smaller custom knife smith. Family man, from Texas. Check him out, his website is www.outdoorgeardad.com I believe. If not look up Outdoor Gear Dad or JD Knives. He’s a hunter as well so can definitely help you out on steel recommendations. If you talk to him tell him Dane says hi.

Cool idea.

I have a fillet knife that my dad ground out of an old Japanese cleaver in the 70s. He was quite a fisherman and used the hell out of it. There isn’t much left to the blade but I still like to pull it out now and then.

Nick Smith, Rick Menefee, Jeff Oelke 'lil dumplin' style, or a Mike Miller boner....
IMG_2713.JPG
IMG_1825.JPG
IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_6456.JPG
IMG_4001_zpszyyrpb9x.jpg

IMG_3798_zpsc3udargy.jpg

img]

Dented

WKR
Northarm knives, for an ultra flexible blade with stellar edge retention. No, they aren't hand made. It's CNC milled steel. I use their filet knives for fine work. The flex in these knives is unreal. They work well on fish also.