Bourbon

HouseCL

FNG
One of the few hobbies that can be as expensive as hunting animals is hunting bourbon. Quickly becomes an addiction once you start getting into it due to the insane FOMO. One thing I have learned is that the hyped bottles (most stuff from Buffalo Trace) aren't actually any better than stuff you can find on a shelf anywhere like Old Forester 1910/1920, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, etc. I'm quite partial to Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, most WT products but one distillery that really caught my interest is Driftless Glen - have one of their single barrel bourbons and IMO it can hold up to anything out there.

Sevens

WKR
I have somewhere around 90-100 bottles of bourbon and whiskey, with bourbon being my favorite drink followed by still strength tequila.

What I’ve noticed through my bourbon journey is the very expensive bottles (pappy, BTAC, etc.) are good but not the life changing liquid you would expect based on their secondary pricing.

Some standouts for me have been:
JDSBBP (preferred the regular over the rye)
Larceny BP C923
Redwood Empire Pipe Dream
Makers cask strength and private select
Prideful Goat Cask Strength Rye
EH Taylor Small Batch

Always on the lookout for new favorites though, especially ones readily available. Have a Redwood Empire Grizzly Beast I’m excited to crack open.

tdhanses

WKR
I have somewhere around 90-100 bottles of bourbon and whiskey, with bourbon being my favorite drink followed by still strength tequila.

What I’ve noticed through my bourbon journey is the very expensive bottles (pappy, BTAC, etc.) are good but not the life changing liquid you would expect based on their secondary pricing.

Some standouts for me have been:
JDSBBP (preferred the regular over the rye)
Larceny BP C923
Redwood Empire Pipe Dream
Makers cask strength and private select
Prideful Goat Cask Strength Rye
EH Taylor Small Batch

Always on the lookout for new favorites though, especially ones readily available. Have a Redwood Empire Grizzly Beast I’m excited to crack open.
JDSBBP and Larceny BP are amazing! With Fred’s top 100 this year Larceny BP will be harder to get I’m afraid.

I’ve grown to really enjoy high proof options.

MGP juice is always really good, pretty crazy how many small time operations get their juice from MGP.

tdhanses

WKR
Ive found the JDSBBP a little hot neat, but love the regular JDSBS
I love the BP neat, just so complex.

We had a local group pick of a JDSBS and it is the best select I’ve had, so dang good, glad I got 2 bottles of it.

JD gets a bad rap for ole No 7 but the last few years they have been releasing some amazing bottles. I have the JD12 and 10 from this year, two other great one‘s but I wouldn’t pay secondary.

Haven’t tried the BP rye yet.

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
I love the BP neat, just so complex.

We had a local group pick of a JDSBS and it is the best one i’ve had in that line, so dang good, glad I got 2 bottles of it.

JD gets a bad rap for ole No 7 but the last few years they have been releasing some amazing bottles. I have the JD12 and 10 from this year, two other great one‘s but I wouldn’t pay secondary.

Haven’t tried the BP rye yet.
If you like hot and complex along the lines of Garrison Brothers, one amazing bottle is Dettling 1867 cask. A little hard to find outside of lower Alabama and the Florida panhandle but its great.

tdhanses

WKR
If you like hot and complex along the lines of Garrison Brothers, one amazing bottle is Dettling 1867 cask. A little hard to find outside of lower Alabama and the Florida panhandle but its great.
Garrison brothers is ok, feel it was kind of hyped, seems to be pretty easy to get now. Haven’t tried the Dettling 1867, do you know where it is distilled?

tdhanses

WKR
Looks like Dettling is all Alabama based, small distillery, makes sense it’s only in FL and AL.

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Garrison brothers is ok, feel it was kind of hyped, seems to be pretty easy to get now. Haven’t tried the Dettling 1867, do you know where it is distilled?
Regular Garrison is pretty young and definitely improves with age (Balmorhea and Cowboy) but yeah its overpriced.

I like wheated, so if I can’t find anything from the primo distilleries (which is common in Florida), I’ll go for Larceny or Makers Mark. Also I prefer drinkable stuff in the 90 range, so really don’t enjoy the 110+ gullet burners

My family member has all the pappy, family reserve, rip van winkle handmade, etc and is generous enough to pour me a few fingers of one of them anytime we pick them up on the way to a dinner.

Here in Georgia I can gather a solid selection but I know the difference between what tastes good and what costs too much to drink due to the secondary market. Gotten ridiculous around here.
I enjoy bourbons 110+ that are single barrel store picks. Neat.
ECSBBP
4RSB
Don’t underestimate Benchmark Full proof a BT product
STAGG jr way overpriced now
As is all the other good bourbons

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Regular Garrison is pretty young and definitely improves with age (Balmorhea and Cowboy) but yeah its overpriced.

I wanted to love Garrison so bad because "Texas!!!"
But yea I dont like it. I have bought and tried and given away nearly every bottle they make. I even had 2023 cowboy bourbon. Only one I havent had is the laguna madre.

tdhanses

WKR
Here in Georgia I can gather a solid selection but I know the difference between what tastes good and what costs too much to drink due to the secondary market. Gotten ridiculous around here.
I enjoy bourbons 110+ that are single barrel store picks. Neat.
ECSBBP
4RSB
Don’t underestimate Benchmark Full proof a BT product
STAGG jr way overpriced now
As is all the other good bourbons
I’ll only buy at msrp or relatively close to it, usually get Stagg for $70, in the last two weeks I picked up a van winkle 12yr for $150, think msrp jumped to $109 this year, over priced but still a good deal, got the fall old fitz 8yr for $109. I didn’t like the increases in msrp but get it, Russel’s 13yr cost me $150 this year. I’m lucky and have a good relationship with a small store that gets a lot of good stuff with prices at msrp or not too far off, I’m ok throwing them a little more then msrp for the options I get.

Located in Texas (no I didn't go to that massive drop at the Specs)

Top 5- Almost always at a store (and always in my cabinet)
1. Knob Creek 9yr 120proof
2. Rare Breed Rye
3. 1792 BiB
4. Old Forester SBBS
5. Dickel 15yr

Top 5- Open in my cabinet right now
1. Blue Note SiB 9yr (local pick)
2. Wild Turkey Masters Keep Oloroso
3. Blantons SFTB
4. Blue Note 17
5. Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye

Odds and Ends that are open and pretty good
1. Super Nikka- Revival Ltd Edition
2. Uncle Nearest SiB
3. Nashville Barrel SiB
4. Black Dirt (NY)
5. Ezra Brooks Store Pick

tdhanses

WKR
Regular Garrison is pretty young and definitely improves with age (Balmorhea and Cowboy) but yeah it’s overpriced.
Only one I have is the Balmorhea and at $200 it just isn’t worth it which steered me away from the cowboy at $250.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
Got a bottle of Elijah Craig barrel proof from the local small store - 140 proof !
Surprisingly smooth and tasty, would expect it to singe your nose hair, but not so.