Bourbon

Ozkmntdoc

FNG
Old Forester 1920 or 1910 for easy to find shelf stuff. Blanton's SFTB when my sister grabs me a bottle when she crosses the pond for work stuff.

Bench mark!
Highly recommend everyone going to the Buffalo trace distillery tour, if you are into bourbon. It is very insightful as to how much bs hype is around bourbon currently.
Benchmark Small Batch and Single Barrel was recommended to me here by a shop employee.
Excellent, especially at it's price point.
I have some great bottles on my shelf, always Eagle Rare 10, Rowan's Creek, Stagg Jr Barrel Proof, but I enjoy sniping at the lower end of the price point and fun finds there...Benchmark Single Barrel and Small Batch, Evan Williams BIB, Kirkland releases are usually good, Larceny, Buffalo Trace.
Bottles that I tried and will not buy again, Michters, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Russel Reserve 10yr, Basil Hayden.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Given the common ground of this forum, I'm surprised there's not much mention of the Old Elk stuff. While being from CO vs KY, I know the purist cry fowl, but I have drank a lot of bourbons in my life and it's not bas stuff, especially their wheated bourbon. My every day is Bulleit. I like the Wellers and Buffalo Trace & Blantons offerings, but I'm not going to pay the inflated prices some of these liquor stores are asking. Blantons isn't worth $160 a bottle.

MNGrouser

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy in college got me started drinking bourbon with Maker's Mark. I'll still drink that if that's what you're pouring. My everyday go-to is now Bulleit. I generally have some Bulleit 10-year in the cabinet but it takes a special reason to pull that out.

My girlfriend's father bought me a bottle of Yellowstone for my birthday. I think the name and the TV show won him over. I like the girl so I haven't told her dad not to bother again.

I got into a debate with my best friend on New Year's Eve as to whether or not we "needed" to try Pappy, just to say we did. We didn't drink enough of anything that night for him to convince me it was a good idea.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Given the common ground of this forum, I'm surprised there's not much mention of the Old Elk stuff. While being from CO vs KY, I know the purist cry fowl, but I have drank a lot of bourbons in my life and it's not bas stuff, especially their wheated bourbon. My every day is Bulleit. I like the Wellers and Buffalo Trace & Blantons offerings, but I'm not going to pay the inflated prices some of these liquor stores are asking. Blantons isn't worth $160 a bottle.
I’ve got a bottle of Old Elk Cigar Cut. It is fantastic.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
My buddy in college got me started drinking bourbon with Maker's Mark. I'll still drink that if that's what you're pouring. My everyday go-to is now Bulleit. I generally have some Bulleit 10-year in the cabinet but it takes a special reason to pull that out.

My girlfriend's father bought me a bottle of Yellowstone for my birthday. I think the name and the TV show won him over. I like the girl so I haven't told her dad not to bother again.

I got into a debate with my best friend on New Year's Eve as to whether or not we "needed" to try Pappy, just to say we did. We didn't drink enough of anything that night for him to convince me it was a good idea.

Tell him to look for a store pick Yellowstone single barrel, barrel proof bottle. You will both be glad he did.

IMG_9832.jpeg

As for Pappy, they have the marketing world cornered. I’ve tried them all and I’d love to have a 15 year but I’d have to win it at a store raffle or function; I’d rather have 15-20 other bottles with that money. I doubt I’ll buy any more glasses of PVW; I’m pretty thrifty. I am glad I did it and satisfied my curiosity.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Tell him to look for a store pick Yellowstone single barrel, barrel proof bottle. You will both be glad he did.

View attachment 651080

As for Pappy, they have the marketing world cornered. I’ve tried them all and I’d love to have a 15 year but I’d have to win it at a store raffle or function; I’d rather have 15-20 other bottles with that money. I doubt I’ll buy any more glasses of PVW; I’m pretty thrifty. I am glad I did it and satisfied my curiosity.

The blood oath worth chasing?
Im normally not fast enough to buy stuff locally.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The blood oath worth chasing?
Im normally not fast enough to buy stuff locally.
I’m glad I got to one but I’ve passed on more. Seems pretty hot for 99 proof; sharp flavors, I like them more subtle. I think Bardstown does a better job of blending on most of their “Discovery” series than that Blood Oath. I prefer the #7 and #9 most. They have some fantastic tours and for being ultra modern have a healthy respect for history. Their on site restaurant and bar is top notch too.

ejm3

FNG
Good stuff in here, started a little note list in my phone. Love seeing a lot of peoples "budget" suggestions for stuff to keep at home. I want to start a little collection but don't want to get carried away so those suggestions are exactly what I was hoping to find! Ideally have 1-2 special bottles on hand for special occasions and a handful of other more accessible bottles to have as daily drivers or to share with more frequent company.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
I like Bulleit, it’s my go to. Their rye is ok too.

I enjoy variety and will have Makers or Buffalo Trace and I try new stuff that I come across. My daughter got me Blanton’s last year for Christmas and it was good but not epic. Never had Pappys. Not a fan of anything Jack Daniel’s.

tdhanses

WKR
Just picked up another Larceny BP C923, wonder if the A124 will be as good as the 2023 batches.

pirogue

WKR
I picked up some of that Bowman Brothers a week or two ago. The story was interesting on the four brothers, and what product they have. I got the lower end, and thought it was good for the price.