Book recommendations

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
Guardian Angel - about Pararescue
Gates of fire - steven press field. It’s not a true story but it’s a badass book written from a Spartans perspective

Meditations - Marcus Aurelius. Not about war but it was a journal he wrote to himself and shares a lot of great perspectives on life.

Kilboars

WKR
933724deb28afcaf1ca4a51aa4d533f9.jpg

Great read on our intelligent ancestries the left their mark 15,000 BC ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gabenzeke

WKR
Into Thin Air by John Krakauer about the 1993 Everest Climbing disaster.
One of my all time favorites! There's an entire rabbit hole from here where you can read about the same events from the perspective of several different people. Krakauer makes a Russian climber into sort of a villain, and his book (believe his last name was Boukreev or something?) leads me to believe he wasn't as bad as krakauer makes him out to be.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Zhem

FNG
Scars and Stripes, the Tim Kennedy autobiography, just finished it and enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moosebait

FNG
Several already mentioned, but I enjoyed The Tiger, The Only Good Indians (Horror), and Man’s Search for Meaning this year.

So has anyone read the book Softwar by Jason Lowery?

Anyone want to sell the book?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Collin68

FNG
  1. Forgotten Grasslands of the South, by Reed Noss
  2. Rivers Under Siege: The Troubled Saga of West Tennessee's Wetlands, by Jim W. Johnson
  3. Dirt: The Erosion of Civilization, by David R. Montgomery
  4. Cloudbursts, by Thomas McGuane
  5. The Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan
  6. Bowhunting Public Land Whitetails, by Tony Peterson
  7. Forty Years a Fur Trader on the Upper Missouri: The Personal Narrative of Charles Larpenteur, by Charles Larpenteur
  8. The History of Tennessee, by William Henry Carpenter
  9. Beyond Fair Chase, by Jim Posewitz
  10. A Land So Strange: The Epic Journey of Cabeza de Vaca, by Andres Resendez
  11. A Quiet Place of Violence: Hunting and Ethics in the Missouri River Breaks, by Allen Morris Jones
  12. Forest Plants of the Southeast and Their Wildlife Uses, by James H. Miller & Karl V. Miller
  13. Trail of Tears: The Rise and Fall of the Cherokee Nation by John Ehle
  14. Blood and Treasure: Daniel Boone and the Fight for America’s First Frontier by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin
  15. The North American Model of Wildlife Conservation edited by Shane Mahoney & Valerius Geist
Thank you for these recommendations. I will be giving them a read!

Beendare

WKR
Worth noting; hopefully everyone knows about the Libby app. Its free, a public library download that gets you kindle or audio books. Some of the popular ones you have to reserve but for a guy like myself that goes through 3 books a week, its awesome.

My latest by John Sanford, “ Dark Angel” is pretty good.
The main character is a Woman bad ass working undercover for one of the 3 letter agencies.

The John Sanford “Prey” series are all good books.

Hard to find but Tony Hillerman wrote a series of books, mysteries with a Navajo sheriff that touches on Indian culture and he relies on his hunting skills ( like tracking) to solve.

Last edited:

Musky

Lil-Rokslider
I never really did enjoy that much reading, having said that, Danger Stalks the Land by Larry Kanuit peaked my interest. Alaskan tales of survival and death, real stories, some pretty crazy ones.