Blue Loctite Alternative??

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
MNo freaking wonder someone in this thread has issues with loctite curing.... jfc.

That gun the Lottie cured fine.

Once again- I and others have done it all ways. A tiny dab of Loctite, a full ring, and covered.

I have asked at least two people multiple times to use the qoute function and show where I have said something that is technically incorrect in this thread. Can you do so?

View attachment 734164
View attachment 734168

No freaking wonder someone in this thread has issues with loctite curing.... jfc.
I have put many together that way. Taking apart a couple weeks later, base is stuck to gun, and stuff in the threads is cured. Have used it between rings and scope tube, and cures there as well.

Used nail polish when I was a kid, and it worked fine too. Have had to heat up screws to get them loose. Took apart the rifle I used when I was 12, (30 years ago) had used clear nail polish on all screws, as well as between bases and reciever, and between rings and tube. Tube was stuck to rings, had to heat up the base screws (flathead), and bases were stuck to the reciever.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I have asked at least two people multiple times to use the qoute function and show where I have said something that is technically incorrect in this thread. Can you do so?

The paint pen and/or nail polish work better with scope ring screws, base screws, and action screws than Loctite 243.

You lack the sample size and scientific method to conclude it is better

I do not dismiss your 30 gorillion rounds a year. But it is not the same as, for example, two batches of 10,000 assemblies all undergoing cyclic load

I'm willing to believe that paint/polish can/will work just as good, 95% as good, or even better. But belief and conclusions are different. I think we lack relevant sample size of people using paint/polish to conclude anything.

This is a small (AKA: pedantic) point to make, which is why I dropped it. The thread became 5 pages longer than it needed to. But you asked again. Hopefully I explained better

Wrench

WKR
If you have a "failed" thread lock, it's worth measuring the major at the top of thread engagement. It's easy to stretch small fastners which will create voids.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
You lack the sample size and scientific method to conclude it is better

I do not dismiss your 30 gorillion rounds a year. But it is not the same as, for example, two batches of 10,000 assemblies all undergoing cyclic load

I'm willing to believe that paint/polish can/will work just as good, 95% as good, or even better. But belief and conclusions are different. I think we lack relevant sample size of people using paint/polish to conclude anything.

This is a small, (and pretty pedantic) point to make, which is why I dropped it. The thread became 5 pages longer than it needed to. But you asked again. Hopefully I explained better

Thank you for responding.

How do you know that I lack the sample size? You haven’t asked what the sample size is. And statistics doesn’t require 10,000 random samples to to come to a very high probability.

I am easily in the multiple thousands of action screws, and ring and base screws of each of Loctite and paint pens/nails polish. I average well over a hundred rifle setups a year that are used heavily by me, or others while I am directly present- and then shot for thousands of rounds of pure “abuse” as some would call it. In that use there have been 0 instances a degreased screw with paint pen or nail polish coming loose. There have been multiple times where Loctite 242 and 243 have had screws become loose after applying it correctly.

At no point have I stated that Loctite shouldn’t be used. At no point have I stated that Loctite sucks. At no point have I stated anything incorrect about Loctite. The only thing I have stated from the beginning, is that in a lot of use with Loctite, paint pen, and nail polish side by side, by the the same people, using the same scopes, bases, rings, and guns- paint pens and nail polish have in fact worked better.
If you haven’t done the same or similar amount of use- especially if you’ve never ever tried it, you cannot say that it doesn’t work, or maybe that it even works better.

taskswap

WKR
I haven't heard this thing about fingernail polish on the threads. But I do use it on the HEADS of screws in cases where it's really important to know if a screw has loosened in any way. Mechanics have done this for years. I have a small bottle of gloss-yellow in my tool kit and a tiny dab on the head of a screw down onto the surface it shoulders against will mark its position, and if it budges you can instantly see that. Acetone takes it right off, too.

TaperPin

WKR
Never in the history of man has it been easier to check torque - the Allen head and torx head fasteners, and 1/4” drive torque wrenches take what, maybe 2 minutes total to check ring and action screws?

Some of us simply check torque regularly and don’t use a thread locker of any kind - crap in the threads interfears with good torque values. A century of industrial sewing machines with screws every bit as hard as gun screws, have stayed together without thread locker running 8 hrs a day, 7 days a week.

Personally I’ve never had a scope loosen up enough to slip, although I assume some of them would if they weren’t checked. Before a hunt or whenever a scope is off I check base torque and re zero - I can’t remember back far enough to a base screw that was noticeably loose, although epoxy bedding the base surely helps.

To me, the whole discussion is pure entertainment :)

TaperPin

WKR
A few days ago when I posted this quick test showing how quickly loctite sets up if it’s in contact with two different pieces of metal, but not if there’s only metal on one side (covered with plastic), even I assumed the plastic covered loctite would harden, albeit more slowly. Yesterday I went to scrape the razor blade and penny off the steel plate and it was surprising the plastic covered drop wasn’t hardening at all.

If screws have some sort of anti corrosion coating (maybe even some lubricants?), does this show how loctite may not ever harden with only metal on one side? I think so.

BE4D67D3-F8C3-4988-A7B9-AB29AA4C8345.jpeg

Last edited:

rbutcher1234

Lil-Rokslider
A few days ago when I posted this quick test showing how quickly loctite sets up if it’s in contact with two different pieces of metal, but not if there’s only metal on one side (covered with plastic), even I assumed the plastic covered loctite would harden, albeit more slowly. Yesterday I went to scrape the razor blade and penny off the steel plate and it was surprising the plastic covered drop wasn’t hardening at all.

If screws have some sort of anti corrosion coating (maybe even some lubricants?), does this shows how loctite will never harden with only metal on one side? I think so.

View attachment 735335
Kudos for coming back and updating

Dobermann

WKR
For the guys who want to Buck the System by saving a few bucks using Paint, Nail polish, or any other Hillbilly shortcut you heard on the internet.

Who do you really think you are sticking it to, by using some kooky experiment on YOUR gun?
Do we need to invent the term "Clutching at a straw man" fallacy for this post ...?

WKR
I like to use maple syrup on my bolts. Has to be the full-sugar kind. It always sets up, the smell brings the deer in, and it's delicious if I make a mess. Way better than nail polish, that stuff tastes terrible.

Macintosh

WKR
I like to use maple syrup on my bolts. Has to be the full-sugar kind. It always sets up, the smell brings the deer in, and it's delicious if I make a mess. Way better than nail polish, that stuff tastes terrible.
Blashphemer. Waste of perfectly good maple
juice there. Besides, if you do that cleaning the screws makes my tongue hurt.

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
Loctite makes a product for the fire arms industry. It is called Guntite. You can use regular forms of loctite, just heat the head of the screw with a soldering gun before you unscrew it.

We use blue loctite on stainless parts all day at my job in manufacturing. Rebuilding stainless water bottle filling equipment and parts, loctite definitely works but has a cure time. Most generally manufacturers specify what thread locker they would recommend. They pay engineers to figure this stuff out for you. The blue loctite (243) is oil resistant as well.