Blaser R8 in a Rokstok survey

Would you commit to buying a Rokstok for your Blaser R8 Professional?

• Total voters

Bravo6

FNG
I'm having to slim down my Blaser inventory due to a potential overseas move, don't know how to unvote "yes" response. So sorry

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Would it be possible to get one in hand even if it was a blem or prototype for a moose hunt by 10/18 or so?

My season opens 10/28.

I'd be in if there was some wiggle time to zero and practice.

My backup will be to buy a 6.5cm T3x if I get my 223 rokstok in hand otherwise I'm taking my SRS-A2.

My vote is in the horse before the cart bracket. I won't buy an r8 if the rokstok doesn't materialize but I will buy an r8 if it does. It seems like the 12 voters in this group could be reached out to to see if they are "will buy if it materializes" versus "may buy if its on the shelf". That might get it done.

Last edited:
I'm looking into the Blaser as my next buy. Still a lot a questions before I put up that much money but if I pull the trigger, I'll definitely put it in a Rokstok.

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking into the Blaser as my next buy. Still a lot a questions before I put up that much money but if I pull the trigger, I'll definitely put it in a Rokstok.
Let me know what questions you have. Happy to tell you all about my experience with r8

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely call around for pricing. I was able to find a demo unit R8 professional for $3600 in 2022.

@omicron1792
Number one thing hanging me up is the barrels. I'm used to shooting the 215 Berger Hybrids out of my 300WM and plan to use those in my future 300NM. The twist rates on the OEM barrels are antiquated for many of the modern bullets (yes they work, but bullet design has come a long way). I've seen a couple options but most aren't either available in the US (Bix'n Andy) or don't work for the 300NM (Akila Bear8). Other thing is the chamber throat; is it super long or more conservative?
I understand these rifles aren't meant for "tinkerers" but I'm still looking to shoot what I want out of it. I travel a lot for work and sometimes that coincides with hunting seasons so a travel friendly rifle system would be pretty great.

Does anyone know the weight of the R8 stock without the receiver in it? Curious how much weight a ~26oz Rokstok could save.

Jim Flint

FNG
Does anyone know the weight of the R8 stock without the receiver in it? Curious how much weight a ~26oz Rokstok could save.
This is not quite an apples-to-apples comparison, as I have not weighed a non-adjustable R8 Professional stock. I’ll offer it up, regardless.

My Classic Sporter and *adjustable* Professional stocks weighed ~37.5 and ~46.4 ounces, respectively. That is sans aluminum receiver.
IMG_0289.jpegIMG_0290.jpeg

Not pictured alongside the aluminum receiver is the grip screw. I estimate it was around half an ounce.
IMG_0316.jpegIMG_0315.jpeg

If I had to toss out a WAG, I would say the non-adjustable R8 Professional stock weighs ~35 ounces. *I'm seeing ~36.6 ounces, if I subtract my receiver weight from the weight of an R8 Professional, pictured on AfricaHunting.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
@omicron1792
Number one thing hanging me up is the barrels. I'm used to shooting the 215 Berger Hybrids out of my 300WM and plan to use those in my future 300NM. The twist rates on the OEM barrels are antiquated for many of the modern bullets (yes they work, but bullet design has come a long way). I've seen a couple options but most aren't either available in the US (Bix'n Andy) or don't work for the 300NM (Akila Bear8). Other thing is the chamber throat; is it super long or more conservative?
I understand these rifles aren't meant for "tinkerers" but I'm still looking to shoot what I want out of it. I travel a lot for work and sometimes that coincides with hunting seasons so a travel friendly rifle system would be pretty great.

I’ve not had any issues shooting the 215s out of my factory R8 300WM. Not spent a lot of time with them but they weren’t grouping poorly that for sure.

PaulIV

FNG
I would prefer the wood option if it becomes available now that the image is floating around in the rokstock thread. I think it would be a perfect for the r8. I’m in either way but really would like a wood stock.

@Jim Flint
That's some excellent info. Really appreciate it. Just estimating with the 26oz Tikka Rokstok, an R8 with a 26", 30 cal, standard weight barrel would weigh around 7lbs 4oz bare. In my search, most people were saying they were on the heavy side, but that is right in the sweet spot once you top it with a good scope.

@Steve O
Appreciate your insight on the 215s. I'm a low lander and practice here most of the time so that's what I plugged into the Berger and JBM stability calculators which put it as marginally stable. What that means in the real world, I don't really know. But it certainly helps hearing from someone with that field experience.

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
I would prefer the wood option if it becomes available now that the image is floating around in the rokstock thread. I think it would be a perfect for the r8. I’m in either way but really would like a wood stock.
Maybe the wood route wouldn't require the same upfront costs for molds and thus would be an easier ask just higher cost due to additional inletting for the receiver?

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
Maybe the wood route wouldn't require the same upfront costs for molds and thus would be an easier ask just higher cost due to additional inletting for the receiver?
I reached out to Stocky’s but no reply.

But it does appear that Form sourced his wood stock elsewhere.

UM has my Pro Success stock right now. The GM said they would assess it for a RokStok. Not holding my breath. The negative sloped comb would have to be reduced to allow removal of the bolt carrier.

UM has my Pro Success stock right now. The GM said they would assess it for a RokStok. Not holding my breath. The negative sloped comb would have to be reduced to allow removal of the bolt carrier.

No blaser experience but I feel like the front of the comb where a bolt would hit is in front of where anyone actually puts their face on a comb so it doesn't need to go that far forward in most cases?

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider

If they would have a way to have Stockys make a flat top and UM mill it for us maybe that would work as well.

Either way I appreciate giving it a shot with sending yours into UM. I would offer my R8 Professional if it helps get us set up too (wood or carbon). Keep us updated!