Blaser R8 in a Rokstok survey

Would you commit to buying a Rokstok for your Blaser R8 Professional?

• Total voters

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
Do y'all know why the fluted standard barrels are $1000ish more than the standard non fluted barrels?

Do you know if the standard non fluted barrels have enough material on them to be fluted by a machinist?

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
Do y'all know why the fluted standard barrels are $1000ish more than the standard non fluted barrels?

Do you know if the standard non fluted barrels have enough material on them to be fluted by a machinist?
My guess is

1. The machining cost
2. Because they can. Ha.

I’ve had last three barrels custom made, and they flute them basically for free.

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR

I don’t think the fluted or match R8 barrels are worth the extra cost.

I don’t think there is any value added by fluting a standard barrel either. If it could be done, the fluting would be so light as to be insignificant weight savings.

The standard barrels are 17mm at the muzzle; the fluted barrels are either 19mm or 22mm at the muzzle (semi weight and match barrels).

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
OK. I figured it was something lame like they are taking their standard barrels and fluting and recoating them instead of ordering them that way to begin with.

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
There are 2 gunsmiths in the US making aftermarket Blaser barrels in the US right now…and I wouldn’t use either one.

There is another option that any competent gunsmith should be able to handle…the Akila Bear 8 barrel extension for Blaser rifles.

If we can get a Blaser RokStok, I’ll send in my Akila to UM to have a 6 UM barrel done.

I knew Akila made a chassis but this barrel extension is pretty cool. Wonder if the steel quality is similar in strength/weather resistance to the Blaser coatings/steel.

Anyone have any experience with it?

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
I knew Akila made a chassis but this barrel extension is pretty cool. Wonder if the steel quality is similar in strength/weather resistance to the Blaser coatings/steel.

Anyone have any experience with it?
I have one…but I haven’t added a barrel yet.

I believe @THLR has experience with the Akila barrel extension

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I have a fluted match 6.5x55 barrel I bought used. It's extremely accurate (easily as good as the best match rifle barrels I've shot). My understanding is that when you get the match barrels they will basically be made as good as Blaser can possibly make them. They will have a level of custom barrel maker vs. standard factory barrels.

With that said, I mostly shoot standard non-fluted barrels and they are all extremely accurate.

I definitely would NOT have a third-party flute any of my Blaser barrels. Get it done by the factory or don't worry about it. There is not much weight savings to make it worth the money, IMO. If you get it fluted by Blaser it will be nitride coated as well which won't be done by 3rd parties.

I too have looked at 3rd party barrel makers/collars and decided it just wasn't worth the trouble/risk.

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
I have a fluted match 6.5x55 barrel I bought used. It's extremely accurate (easily as good as the best match rifle barrels I've shot). My understanding is that when you get the match barrels they will basically be made as good as Blaser can possibly make them. They will have a level of custom barrel maker vs. standard factory barrels.

With that said, I mostly shoot standard non-fluted barrels and they are all extremely accurate.

I definitely would NOT have a third-party flute any of my Blaser barrels. Get it done by the factory or don't worry about it. There is not much weight savings to make it worth the money, IMO. If you get it fluted by Blaser it will be nitride coated as well which won't be done by 3rd parties.

I too have looked at 3rd party barrel makers/collars and decided it just wasn't worth the trouble/risk.
My third party barrels are nitride coated.

I have three blaser and three custom. I can’t tell the difference in them. I probably wouldn’t make any hard fast rules if you haven’t tried them.

2 of them are in calibers Blaser doesn’t make (375 and 416 Ruger). My most recent is 223 barrel that he made for me in 1:7 twist, also something you can’t get in off the shelf blazer barrels.

IMG_2514.jpeg

I just returned from Africa a couple weeks ago and got the itch to go back already.

Looking for a Dangerous Game rifle and the R8 is on the list. Blaser USA is about 30 minutes from my house.

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
I have one…but I haven’t added a barrel yet.

I believe @THLR has experience with the Akila barrel extension
Same as you, I have one but haven't added a barrel yet.
For Blaser, use a gunsmith who understands the locking mechanism of Blaser...

I just returned from Africa a couple weeks ago and got the itch to go back already.

Looking for a Dangerous Game rifle and the R8 is on the list. Blaser USA is about 30 minutes from my house.

I'd be extremely interested to see how the geometry of a Rokstock helps mitigate muzzle rise or the overall recoil experience with a big-bore dangerous game cartridge, especially in an R8.

gearguywb

WKR
I shoot a 375 R8 fairly regularly, alongside of an early model Ruger RSM.

The rSM is a good bit heavier. IMO, the R8 muzzle moves more during recoil but the shoulder feel is slightly less than that of the Ruger.

Very scientific analysis....:)