Going from a truck to an SUV?

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
Get yourself an old beater truck for when you need to do truck things.

Or just rent one from Home Depot if you can tolerate that hassle.

OP
PredatorSlayer
Get yourself an old beater truck for when you need to do truck things.

Or just rent one from Home Depot if you can tolerate that hassle.
My son is turning 16 in a few months. I might buy an older tacoma he can use on the daily and I can use whenever I want.

I do a lot of cross country driving for out of state hunts. One thing I hate about the truck is not everything locks up. I have a truxedo bed cover, and out of sight out of mind has worked fine, but the idea of being able to lock everything up in an SUV appeals to me.

Don't sell the truck. You will just end up wanting one down the road.
My wife "suggests" the same thing, buy (insert vehicle). Nah....I got my truck, I'll drive a truck.

Now if you want to get into something else while keeping the truck a 4Runner would be on my list.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
Tried to do it, picking up a new tacoma next week. There's something bout a truck.

LostArra

WKR
I'm an SUV (4 runner) + hitch hauler hunter. I don't have a lot of towing needs but the 4 runner will do it when needed.

We take my buddy's F-250 diesel on our annual elk hunts for more cooler space but we both gripe about the access to the bed as they sit so high. To get anything out of the bed you have to climb into it which could be good for theft protection.

Yep, years ago when my kids were younger I decided it was time to get a more "family friendly vehicle" since I still had my old beater woods truck. Bought a loaded out Chevy Traverse that had all the creature comforts, Found myself driving my old truck more and more for everything. Traded it back in after about 8 months and went back to a truck. Never make that mistake again

I've had three trucks but switched to SUVs about 20 years ago. During that time my wife still owned a truck. She sold her pickup a couple of years ago. We just don't need an open bed much in our life. No need for diesel as we don't haul much weight.

It really depends on the mission, like all tools. I'm a surfer, car camper/hunter, and dirt bike rider. I love having my boards and all my gear locked up when I shut the rear hatch. I sleep in my SUV 20+ nights a year, and will do so tonight and tomorrow. I could have a truck with a topper on the bed, but that would have less access with only a rear door and isn't air conditioned or heated if necessary, and certainly not as water tight. Defeats the purpose of the open truck bed. I have a trailer and use that for truck tasks. It's less convenient than a truck, but the convenience of the SUV for the things I do far more often outweighs my need for a truck.
20201231_074443~2.jpg20220518_094557.jpg20181019_194537.jpg20181019_164309.jpg20210611_203517.jpg20210611_204819.jpg20201231_072150.jpg

IdahoElk

WKR
I was always a pickup person and now have a 4runner and the wife has a Sequoia, doubt I'd ever get a truck again.
For times when I need lumber or haul anything I use a small trailer, works great and I can beat the cr@p out of it and not worry about dents or scratches like I use to do with my pickup.

I switched back in 2006. Still driving that Chevy Tahoe today. It has been all over the US and has 324,000 miles on it. Not one time did I wish I had a truck. In fact, it was the opposite. I can park it anywhere and not worry about someone stealing something out of the back of it, like a wide open truck bed. Have loaded that thing with 9 people more times than I can count.

I did buy a 12 foot trailer for those times where I might need to haul something that won’t fit.

Each person’s life is different. As you can see, some can’t ever imagine the idea of not having a truck. I can’t imagine ever needing a truck. Just depend on your lifestyle I guess.

Let the wife drive the SUV and keep the truck.

I went to an SUV briefly about 10 years ago and am now back on a truck….for life. It was a mistake i use a truck way more than i thought i did.

Trucks have a soul, SUVs do not.

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
I have a Grand Cherokee, small roof box for extended trips and i have a stowaway box on back, I have the smaller one but i would buy the larger one if I hadn't found one cheap on craigslist.

I bought a mattress for the back, it is too small but I make due, it is a nice highway ride and quite capable off road with the off road package and up sized tires I added.

Tahoe size would be nice, but some of the trails i wind up on are pretty tight so it has me hesitant to up size!