BFG T/A KO2s vs Falken Wildpeak A/T3W

Tod osier

WKR
Long time BFG KO user and lover. They have always done what I need and I don't need anything more, but I'm considering going with Falken Wildpeaks to see what the buzz is about. The BFG KO2s are plenty of tire for me and I've had them on my last 3 trucks, they have never let me down.

Truck is a F250 used for road trips highway towing a 20' travel trailer and then in the mountains upon arrival. The current set on my F250 will go about 50K before needing replacement. I use stock size. I carry chains for all four tires if needed.

Any comments on longevity or fuel efficiency or performance? I don't think ride or noise is going to be very different.

Totoro

WKR
I haven't used the Falken tires before and was a big time KO user until I got 2 sets that were WAY out of round.

Just another option, Toyo Open Country AT.

They look almost exactly like the KO, feel like the KO on pavement and IMO, roll a bit better.

I have them on 3 different rigs, 2 LT and 1 P-metric; no complaints.

manitou1

WKR
I am in the same boat as you. I have used KOs and really liked them until my last set did not wear or balance well, no matter what we tried. I tried the Cooper AT3s at the recommendation of a friend. These tires do NOT perform in the same league for my needs and I can't wait to get rid of them. My truck will be needing new shoes before fall and I too am considering the Falkens.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have a 2500 HD diesel that I had several sets of KO2s on. I switched to Michelin Defender LTX M/S and never looked back. These things perform very well on road, as well as, off.

I’m about to put a set on my 4Runner.

I used to love KO2s also but found the wet weather traction lacking after half tread. Switched to Nitto Ridge Grapplers and love them. No help with the Falkens, but have heard nothing but great things.

fatlander

WKR
I’ve had both. Falkens wild peaks have and continue to perform extremely well. They’re more economical than the BFG’s. Got over a little over 70k on a set of on my Tacoma with some tread left to go. Put a set of Sumitomo Encounter ATs on my wife’s 4Runner last year. Falken is made by sumitomo tire company, and the sumitomos actually have a better mileage warranty than the falkens at a cheaper price.

To this point, I don’t see me buying anything else but the sumitomo or falken, whichever is cheaper at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Long time BFG KO user and lover. They have always done what I need and I don't need anything more, but I'm considering going with Falken Wildpeaks to see what the buzz is about. The BFG KO2s are plenty of tire for me and I've had them on my last 3 trucks, they have never let me down.

Truck is a F250 used for road trips highway towing a 20' travel trailer and then in the mountains upon arrival. The current set on my F250 will go about 50K before needing replacement. I use stock size. I carry chains for all four tires if needed.

Any comments on longevity or fuel efficiency or performance? I don't think ride or noise is going to be very different.

Thanks so far everyone, it does not look like there is any price advantage to either in the 10 plys I need.

MattB

WKR
I used to be a BFG AT guy but tried the Cooper AT3’s and liked them better. The BFG may be a slightly better off-road tire, but the AT3 is much better in-road tire (esp on wet roads) and I really dislike how loud the BFG’s got when the tread wore down.

Tmac

WKR
Have used both in 10 ply rating. Both work well. The Falkens have a more aggressive tread, but are equally quiet. Both have a similarly aggressive side wall to my eye anyway. I have not noticed the wet weather issue some complain a lot on the KO2. I have not found a weakness in the Falkens. Both are wearing well. Have the KO2’s on a Sequoia, the Falkens on a Tundra. Both have done some off roading. The Falkens do better in mild mud than the KO2’s, but neither is a mud tire. About 20k in on both. I give a slight edge to the Falkens for what I do, mostly highway with some off-road use.

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been really impressed with my wild peaks. I’ve had several sets of BFGs, first set of Falkens, I won’t be going back…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never gotten any decent mileage out of BFG AT KO’s on a diesel, but have had great luck with Toyo ATII and ATIII. The AT III are sipped better so I think they do better in snow and ice in the AT II and BFG. Now on a 1/2 I’ve got 70k out of a set of BFG AT’s.

I haven’t run falken but have heard any negatives

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I’ve never gotten any decent mileage out of BFG AT KO’s on a diesel, but have had great luck with Toyo ATII and ATIII. The AT III are sipped better so I think they do better in snow and ice in the AT II and BFG. Now on a 1/2 I’ve got 70k out of a set of BFG AT’s.
I put a set of the original BFG KO's on my 1989 Toyota 4x4 several years ago. It barely got 35k miles before they were almost slicks. The salesman talked me into the KO2's because "they've greatly improved their treadlife". That was a load of crap. I'll be trying the Falken's next. I've got the Coopers on my F-350 and like them, but they aren't wearing well either. The only tires that have worn well on my F-350 were Michelin LTX AT's (50k+ miles), but halfway through their treadlife they're useless on snow and ice.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I had falkens they checked horribly at 25,000 miles they were shot. On the plus side they were fully warranteed. Went with Toyo open country’s they are quieter ride better, and seem to have better traction

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve never had any wet weather issues with BFG all terrains. I’ve got over 60K miles on my current set on my 4Runner.

The BFGs always got over 50K on my 2500HD.

I have the falkens on my jeep gladiator. 59K so far and I swear I still have half my tread left. I don’t rock climb or tear crap up but they have been just dandy in deep snow and mud on 3 elk hunts and constant use on the ranch.

Last edited:
OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Thanks guys, I'm not seeing much on the Wildpeaks for those with larger trucks towing. I was originally interested because I'd read that they are better and less expensive, they seem to cost the same on the E rated size I'm looking at.

tunafed

FNG
I've had them on my 2500HD for about 55k now. No complaints they tow well (at least up 10.5k, haven'ttowed heavier with them) do really good in the snow and wet weather and are decently quiet. Mine are starting to get a little noisier now but it's to be expected. My next set here soon will be the Falkens again.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

CoStick

WKR
I loved my wild peaks for the first 30k, then they started to real howl. Other than that they are great, but will not be getting another set.

JLW66

FNG
Thanks for posting this thread. I have used TKOs for years and my last two sets seem to be hard to balance. Good info.

Weldor

WKR
Run them on my Ram 2500, no issues 20k on them . Also ran them on my 13 wrangler got close to 60000 before someone hit me and totaled it, great on and off the road. I think for the money they are hard to beat.