Cooper Discoverer STT PRO vs S/T Maxx

CCH

WKR
Had the ST Maxx on my JKU. It was a good compromise between mud and all-terrain and did fine for me in the snow. Didn't go with it on my 3/4 ton truck just because it's a less than ideal highway tire and I have to tow a camper over long miles. Put the AT3 XLT on it and they've worked well.

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve run both the Maxx and Pro on my Tacoma. The Pros had great traction and did well in a Wyoming blizzard but I only got 30k out of them. The Maxx have been great in all sorts of conditions, wet roads, snow, mud, sand, rocks and even survived a screwdriver on the highway. I’ve got 50k on them now and will probably need to replace them around 60k. Here is a photo of the screwdriver in the tire. By the way the tire is still on the truck and going strong.
473BF21F-FE8A-458E-A0DA-927207345FCF.jpeg

Travis907

WKR
I’ve been trying to decided between the S/T Maxx and Rugged Trek! My gravel road ate up my Toyos and need something else. I hear lots of good things about the Maxx! Anyone run the Rugged Trek?

JoMa

Lil-Rokslider
I have Cooper S/TMaxx on an F250 and Cooper AT3 XLT on an F350. Both have been great in most conditions (just average on ice) and are relatively quiet. They both have worn well for me.

2five7

WKR
I’ve run both the Maxx and Pro on my Tacoma. The Pros had great traction and did well in a Wyoming blizzard but I only got 30k out of them. The Maxx have been great in all sorts of conditions, wet roads, snow, mud, sand, rocks and even survived a screwdriver on the highway. I’ve got 50k on them now and will probably need to replace them around 60k. Here is a photo of the screwdriver in the tire. By the way the tire is still on the truck and going strong.
View attachment 366410
You know, those tires are studdable... No need to go jabbing screwdrivers in there :D

I had STT Pros on a Tacoma and removed them after they were half worn and put them on my 3/4 ton farm truck. Traction was great, wear was good. They developed a roar before I took them off my Tacoma. I would recommend rotating every 4 to 5 thousand miles.

Paradox

FNG
Used to buy Cooper tires. They are pretty sticky in snow and ice, but that comes at a cost of faster wear! Then wehunted Colorado off road and had 2 flats in 2 days from sagebrush poking through the sidewalls. I’ll never buy Cooper again. Check the construction info on the tire….. 2 ply sidewalls on a load range E tire🤬
Hakepelita(sp) makes a decent snow tire. Lots of guys around here use them on plow trucks, also studdable!

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
The ST Maxx and STT pro, which are the subject of this thread have a 3 ply sidewall so you must have been running one of the at3 tires.

Used to buy Cooper tires. They are pretty sticky in snow and ice, but that comes at a cost of faster wear! Then wehunted Colorado off road and had 2 flats in 2 days from sagebrush poking through the sidewalls. I’ll never buy Cooper again. Check the construction info on the tire….. 2 ply sidewalls on a load range E tire🤬
Hakepelita(sp) makes a decent snow tire. Lots of guys around here use them on plow trucks, also studdable!

huck

Lil-Rokslider
Used tp use the st max on all my plckups , would get a year . dont any more , check out Tirecappers . Ive run probably 10 to 12 sets between pickups and trailers and never lost a cap a sidewall or had a flat until cords were showing .

sneaky

"DADDY"
Used to buy Cooper tires. They are pretty sticky in snow and ice, but that comes at a cost of faster wear! Then wehunted Colorado off road and had 2 flats in 2 days from sagebrush poking through the sidewalls. I’ll never buy Cooper again. Check the construction info on the tire….. 2 ply sidewalls on a load range E tire
Which Coopers were you running? 150k miles all over the western states with no flats from ST Maxx makes me a little skeptical

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can always get the Maxxs siped to help in snow and ice. I was averaging between 60-65k miles per set on my Tacoma, with decent tread still left. Running Falken Wildpeaks right now, a good tire but I think I still prefer the ST Maxx

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BigNate

WKR
I have M.T. Baja MTZs on my 1 ton as we speak. Second winter on them, I have only pulled an equipment trailer with it, but they're a pretty good tire.

I liked the Cooper STT but have not tried the new ones. They don't have great side walls.
On some nasty roads the Pro Comp MT2 have been absolutely great on the wife's jeep, and an f150. I have not tried them on anything loaded heavy though.

OP
silverbullet555
Well, a little learning here around sidewalls. I had always bought into the "10 ply" sidewall on BFG and just learned it's only 3 which is better than many and the same as others. For hunting season, I really do want tougher sidewalls as we of course spend time on crappy logging roads and through brush. For winter, I want the traction of studs so we can take the camper wherever and feel reasonably prepared (still can't be stupid).

Not sure what I will buy in the spring, but if I don't want to spend all winter looking at the camper, I better get some studded e range tires ordered.

Pokoki

FNG
Looking at new tires for the truck as the BFG AT TA KO are at the end of their life. We have a truck camper, so I am looking at tires that will allow me to haul our camper (need 3750lb per tire). Looking at both these tires. Similarly priced for 285/75r16.

I have nearly new winter studs, but they are not rated high enough to put the camper on and we'd like to use it some in the winter for weekend trips on the ski hill which means some slick roads.

Anyone have experience with either of these tires in both winter conditions (snow and Ice) and offroad hunting situations?
I ran the STT Pros on a 3/4 ton Power Wagon. Great in deep snow, scary on ice. They wore well (10 ply tire).

Zbowman1

WKR
I have had both the Maxx and ST Pro in the last couple years. Running them on my 1 ton Chevy. Both are great tire. The Pro is a softer compound and is very noisy on the highway but better off road and looks better if that matters to you. I think the Maxx is a better all around tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
The ST Maxx is my favorite for my work trucks. I’m basically 60:40 off : on road in the mountains and they are great. Don’t expect them to last forever but that’s the cost of having good grip on anything.

Extrapale

WKR
Maxx is a great tire. I got over 40k on a set of 285x75x17 e range tires. That is on a Power Wagon with plenty of off road use. The best part is no chunking in the desert, and no Flats over a 3 year period.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk