Best wild game meat

Elk, sheep are close number 1s. After that pheasant, deer, antelope... all close in the 3-4-5 slots. Then mountain quail- moose - caribou. I shoot a ton of ducks and geese and turn most of them into sticks. I think they are the worst which is crazy because it’s what I kill the most of. With one exception.. I do like speckelbellies. They are probably the only waterfowl that I actually cook for dinner. I the rest go into the pepperoni stick bundle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As I’ve gotten older, I put more time into the care and preparation game meat. As a kid, had some terrible venison. Today, even my very picky wife views the game we eat as absolute delicacy or gourmet. Here in SoCal, we fish a lot offshore. On my own boat, we spike our pelagics, bleed and ice immediately. The quality of meat that goes into our freezer now is 100x better than what we used to put in there. With wild game, I like to age and do my own processing now. The best wild game is honestly everything we eat now.

Yer smart, we always popped the gills the moment they hit the deck, drain em fast and into the ice...makes all the difference in the world.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
eland. most guys will never eat it though. Its somewhere between beef and bison texture and excellent quality.

most every thing else I have eaten has been great or horrible. Too many variables to diet and age to make general statements.

FLAK

WKR
Overall, I'd have to say a fried Whitetail backstrap.
Others that come to mind : Bison, a very close 2nd.
Gemsbok
Moorhen (Excellent).
Fried Turkey Fingers
Gator
Snapping Turtle
Bobwhite Quail
Rabbit
I don't care for Squirrel, Dove or Feral Hog for some reason.

FreeRange

WKR
My wife always says if deer were made out of duck meat she’d be a lot more excited about my deer hunting. That said, it’s all in how you prepare and cook it but if beef is your thing then you can’t beat elk. I personally love some gamey old buck meat or some antelope.

TC406

FNG
The elk and whitetail I've harvested have all been delicious. I've had great and terrible Muley and Pronghorn from friends. Id love to try Axis deer, black bear, sheep, and goat. Mountain Lion is another that I have heard is delicious.

Mule deer - must be lucky, never had a bad one.
Elk - only bulls, need to try a cow
Whitetail - have been eating for 39 years.
Rabbit
Canvasbacks ducks
Wild turkey
Mallards/gadwalls

Can't believe no one has rabbit in the list. Also, I had some farm raised red stag once and that was probably the best game meat I've ever had.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
My list....

1. Whitetail Back Straps or tenderloin fried with salt, pepper, flour in bacon grease or similar
2. Mule Deer Back Straps done the same way
3. Wild Turkey Pretty Good
4. Wild Boar is excellent too
5. Squirrel when done right is good too
6. Black Bear when done right and not been eating dead stuff is good

I had Elk once, just small cut up pieces in soup, it tastes great, but was in vegetable soup so couldnt get a real feel for the actual taste etc. not the same as frying up a piece

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Turkey
Elk
Whitetail
Crappie/Shell Cracker
Dove/Pheasant

Edit to add...nearly any duck