Best wild game meat

AKDoc

WKR
Moose is my consistent favorite for sure...year after year. I'm really meticulous in my field care!

Dall's sheep is also really good.

Black-tail deer has been +/- for me. We cooked back-strap in the field one night in PWS in October, and it was the very best. However, mostly it has been gamey for me, although I know many who love it. We use it for sausage.

Ptarmigan is excellent!

Spring black bear is ok...it makes a great chili, although my wife just doesn't like to eat it.

My least favorite is caribou, although winter caribou was excellent.

Closely tied for least favorite is mountain goat...the first one we got was tough and not that tasty, but the second one was better.

I once had brown bear. I was on Kodiak black-tail hunting, and we knew a local family who had been part of a community winter subsistence brown bear harvest. I really wanted no part of it, but I've got to say that it was outstanding. A lot of work went into it by the cook, and she did a great job. They were also very quick to tell me that they would only eat a winter bear. (I can barely stand to skin them out in the fall after they have been on salmon all summer...the front paws and face can smell pretty nasty.

davsco

WKR
Squirrel is hard to beat.
sure it wasn't cooked the best, buy yuck, squirrel is the nastiest thing i've had. it was so bad even our dog wouldn't eat it.

can't imagine anything too much better than venison tenderloin!!

Poser

WKR
sure it wasn't cooked the best, buy yuck, squirrel is the nastiest thing i've had. it was so bad even our dog wouldn't eat it.

can't imagine anything too much better than venison tenderloin!!

Squirrel is great. It generally takes some work, though.

Donjuan

WKR
What is your favorite? Anything wild game

I will add by asking. Is caribou and
rams/sheep any good to eat?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Bobwhite quail

Also love Turkey breast right off the gobbler

And tenderloin right out of a fresh killed whitetail

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Axis is as good as anything I've ever eaten. Elk, bison, desert bighorn....all excellent as well.

Axis%20Hunt%20-%20October%202017-6583-L.jpg

OP
B
I find it hard to believe goats sheep rams are good knowing how a ol farm sheep or goat smells lol

Not exactly my favorite but I'll throw a curve ball : seal. There is a lot of stigma attached to it (thanks PETA) but it's great stuff when cooked very rare.

I'd describe the taste as 80% venison tenderloin, 10% fresh liver from a young animal and 10% fish. Delicious.

Kodiak

FNG
Antelope is my wife’s favorite. Big horn sheep is delicious but is a little harder to come by than antelope. A young elk is hard to beat too

Moose and Pronghorn are my favorite of animals I’ve killed and eaten. Followed by Elk. Bighorn sheep was decent. Ate the oysters too.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I find it hard to believe goats sheep rams are good knowing how a ol farm sheep or goat smells lol

I didn't expect my desert sheep to be good at all. I've eaten aoudad, and it's nasty. But the desert was awesome. Tasted similar to axis, actually. Just not as tender as axis. Not nearly as tough as aoudad though.