Best wild game meat

Not exactly my favorite but I'll throw a curve ball : seal. There is a lot of stigma attached to it (thanks PETA) but it's great stuff when cooked very rare.

I'd describe the taste as 80% venison tenderloin, 10% fresh liver from a young animal and 10% fish. Delicious.

Never would of thought of that I’m kinda interested now tho haha

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried as many animals as most on this list, but am surprised there aren't more votes for black bear. Last one I shot was delicious cooked a bunch of different ways. It was a fall bear that was likely living off bait piles and berries, so that might make a difference.

Fresh venison tenderloin is still my favorite wild game meal, but I enjoyed the whole bear.

I haven't figured out how to cook wild turkey yet, always turned out tough and dry.

Nicklhead

FNG
I haven't tried as many animals as most on this list, but am surprised there aren't more votes for black bear. Last one I shot was delicious cooked a bunch of different ways. It was a fall bear that was likely living off bait piles and berries, so that might make a difference.

Fresh venison tenderloin is still my favorite wild game meal, but I enjoyed the whole bear.

I haven't figured out how to cook wild turkey yet, always turned out tough and dry.

Try that turkey in a marinade. Just the breast meat in small squares. Then shish kabobs. I harvested a young black bear and was very pleased with the snack sticks I made out of it with my mule deer. I wanted all my girls to eat it and they loved the snack sticks. The bear is very tender no game taste to me. I vote for young elk, black bear not sure turkey counts as big game but love wild turkey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
When well cared for, I like all of the above. I'm surprised to see that no one has mentioned Doves, they are outstanding. I'll throw out Bullfrogs as top notch table fare too!
I'll second the bullfrog legs and dove breast as very close to the top of the list. Both are hard to come by in quantity. I'm pretty well stuck with whitetail in my freezer. I've eaten somewhere in the range of 70 of my own whitetails and parts of as many others. Even when well taken care of in processing they range from excellent to nearly inedible.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Of the game animals I have fortunate enough to eat enough quantity of these are my 3.
1. Whitetail deer
2. Black bear
3. Wild pig

For small game, rabbit is my favorite.

For birds, ruffed grouse is my favorite followed by quail.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
Turkey and hogs have the best meat. you can just roast it on fire, sprinkle some salt and it will still taste good

I'll tell you what it ain't. That'd be snake. Rattler specifically. I was at deer camp 20 plus years ago with my college girlfriend's dad and somebody brought that crap. Would have been better off chewing up a handfull of toothpicks.

Someone obviosly doesn't know how to cook Rattlesnake,
done correctly it's excellent.Can't be stored or frozen,has to be fresh...:cool:

IL Red

FNG
Snapping turtle
Frog
Elk
Turkey
Want to try mountain lion, axis deer, caribou..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Brine it! Boil some water and dissolve 1/4cup salt + 1/4 cup sugar (brown or white). Add enough cool water to cover the breast (or strips - I like to 'chunk' mine up) and once the water is cool, add the meat. Brine overnight. Pat dry the next day and add seasoning/marinade. Brining wild turkey is a game changer. I kill enough each spring that I use it as a chicken substitute throughout the year.

Fresh moose heart...it has to be cooled down fast, usually put it in a flowing creek overnight to cool it down...then slice thin, dredge in flour, and fry in a blazing hot skillet. Melts in your mouth....
Also agree that seal meat is the bomb....(y)

hobbes

WKR
Elk
Whitetail Deer
Wild Turkey
Fish - crappie, walleye, perch
Quail
Pheasant
Frog legs (it's been years)
Squirrel (it's been years)
Dove
Mule Deer
Waterfowl

As I’ve gotten older, I put more time into the care and preparation game meat. As a kid, had some terrible venison. Today, even my very picky wife views the game we eat as absolute delicacy or gourmet. Here in SoCal, we fish a lot offshore. On my own boat, we spike our pelagics, bleed and ice immediately. The quality of meat that goes into our freezer now is 100x better than what we used to put in there. With wild game, I like to age and do my own processing now. The best wild game is honestly everything we eat now.

MattB

WKR
Dall sheep
Coues deer
Antelope
Moose
Caribou

I've had a bunch of other game meats too, but black bear deserves an HM. We kill them here in CA before they start stockpiling fat and the lean meat is very good.