Caribou/elk
Sandhill/sharptail/huns
Alpine black bear in the blueberries
Sheep
Puddle ducks/geese
Moose
Goat

Apparently I'm a prairie guy...

Does crab count? Because that would likely be right in with antelope for me. Doesn't get much better than boiling up a bunch of crabs you just pulled on a propane cooker and drinking good beer!

I had a sheep hunting buddy who swore ram was the best tasting game. I had the good fortune of following him on one of his many outings. He passed on a legal ram, and basically put a bow on it for me to shoot. Amazing hunt, amazing scenery and a pack out that made every ounce of that meat precious, but sadly not my fav. Cow moose, then cow elk, then bull elk, then mule deer, likely insert sheep here, then whiteys.

I know quite a few people that swear by Dall sheep, but I’ve had meat from a few, including hunts that I’ve been on and know exactly how the ram was killed and processed (I’m very careful when it comes to the care of meat in the field), and although I do think it’s okay table fair for the most part, it doesn’t come close to moose, and it doesn’t even hold a candle to their mountain cousin, the mountain goat. As far as red meat goes and from my limited experience, I’ll take mountain goat over anything that walks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jardo

WKR
My list of game I’ve eaten.

Axis
Elk
Mahi-mahi
Ono (wahoo)
Pheasant
Pronghorn
Polynesian pig - preferably one eating mangos and guava
Blue grouse
Ruff grouse
Turkey
Mule deer or whitetail - I make this into jerky mostly.

Axis deer is by far my absolute favorite and I’m lucky to kill dozens of these a year. I age mine for 7 days in the cooler with ice and it’s better than the best filet minion.

With most game, it’s all about aging, rut, diet, field care, and age of the animal. Hard to beat a spike axis, or spike elk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
Smoked wild turkey!
New Mexico oryx
Exotic blackbuck from Texas
Smoked Alaska red salmon
Smoked Alaska halibut

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My list of game I’ve eaten.

Axis
Elk
Mahi-mahi
Ono (wahoo)
Pheasant
Pronghorn
Polynesian pig - preferably one eating mangos and guava
Blue grouse
Ruff grouse
Turkey
Mule deer or whitetail - I make this into jerky mostly.

Axis deer is by far my absolute favorite and I’m lucky to kill dozens of these a year. I age mine for 7 days in the cooler with ice and it’s better than the best filet minion.

With most game, it’s all about aging, rut, diet, field care, and age of the animal. Hard to beat a spike axis, or spike elk.

You know that there is filet mignon on Axis deer as well. Some call it the sweet meat or tenderloin, but it is a strip of muscle along the inside of the spine, low in the back of most game animals. It doesn't just come from cattle. The filet on a deer is excellent and very tender and is probably the best muscle on any animal that we eat because of its tenderness. I won't get into organs that some eat. Most who butcher their own don't get the filet because it is very small on smaller game (deer, antelope, sheep, goats, etc.) and dries out very quickly.

outward

FNG
1. Scimitar-horned Oryx
2. Axis
3. Elk

If you've not had it and get the opportunity, jump at the chance for Scimitar. Best meat I've ever had and I've eaten a couple dozen of them.

jrg_80

FNG
There a lot I have yet to taste...but from what I have Nilgai is #1 in my book.

55e02b2405a3242482c026b40576cb0f.jpg

jrg

palefty

FNG
My choices based on what I have been able to either kill or help others cut what they have killed and have been given meat. Having never hunted west of Indiana my experience is limited on some of the western game. As other have said a lot is dependent on care after the shot. There are things that would move up or down the list depending on what it is or how its prepared but overall.
1. Moose
2. Elk
3. Whitetail
4. Boar
5. Antelope
6. Pheasant
7. Turkey
8. Bear
9. Puddle ducks
10. Goose - Although Goose makes some of the best Jerky I have made