Best wild game meat

My wife's moose from last year is out of this world. We like to take the roasts and slice against the grain then marinate in Korean Bilgogi sauce. Nothing better in my opinion.

jhm2023

WKR
Of the animals I've taken sheep is my favorite with moose being second. Bear is really good too but it all depends on the individual bear.

Azone

WKR
A fat and happy August blacktail is pretty damn good, but a good elk loin is hard to beat. I've never been able to try moose or caribou, so I can't compare against those.

I thought our aged white tail does were good until I had aged young cow elk.

Out of this world.

Hoping this year will be the year I finally have a chance to try some bear.

bmf0713

WKR
Iowa/Illinois corn fed whitetail. Antelope is pretty close 2nd. For waterfowl Mallard is ok. Shot some diver ducks once and the dog wouldn’t even eat it (not kidding). I actually think he went over to the corner and licked his asshole to get the taste outta his mouth. Had beaver once (no not that kind of beaver). It was the worse thing I have ever tasted.

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
Elk
Whitetail
Pronghorn
Wild pig
Squirrel
Bear
Wild turkey
Mule deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My favorites are
1. Moose
2. Antelope
3. Elk
4. Mt. Lion (tastes like pork)
5. Mule deer

I wasn't a fan of Mt. Goat, but we just cooked up steaks. It was very chewey. Probably better ways to prepare it, If I ever draw a tag I'll have to research better ways to prepare.

Also not a fan of the bear I've eaten. Again probably just not preparing it right. Would like to learn better ways to prepare it.

Key with antelope is getting them skinned and cooled fast. We hunt with coolers full of ice in the truck, goats are on ice very fast after we shoot. I'm sure that rule would hold true for all game, but I have yet to find any big game besides antelope that I can kill while driving around with coolers full of ice :LOL:

A Coworker drew an oryx tag in NM this year and I've heard nothing but good stuff about them. I'm really looking forward to getting a pack of meat to try.

Love my venison back straps but elk beats it in every way imo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1. Mountain Goat
2. Musk Ox
3. Dall Sheep
4. Sitka Blacktail
5. Moose
6. Caribou

I’m sure elk would rate highly but I’ve only had it once, about 30 years ago, and I remember it being good, I just can’t remember how good it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite is antelope. I’d say elk is next and then deer-either white tail or mule deer. I enjoy these basically prepared anyway you would prepare beef. We also age our meat until a nice crust forms-hanging it in a refrigerator whose shelves have been removed for about a week to 21 days.
I’ve also prepared mallard that was insanely delicious. I roasted two whole-just like a chicken-but removed the breast meat as to not overcook. I followed Hank Shaw’s instructions.

Hard to describe, very strong flavor but not gamey. Not a lot different than domestic sheep, but an old ewe, not lamb. Very strong smell when you cooked it. Left a tallow type covering in your mouth.

I gave it to a buddy of mine and he thought it was the best stuff he's ever had.

Did you remove all the fat? I’m sure you know, but venison fat has a higher melting point. If you missed some of the fat, that could explain the tallow covering in your mouth and the off taste. My friend prepared caribou for her kids and they loved it-until they found out it was reindeer😶.

My wife's moose from last year is out of this world. We like to take the roasts and slice against the grain then marinate in Korean Bilgogi sauce. Nothing better in my opinion.

This sounds amazing. Bulgogi is one of my favorites! I sound like a broken record, but in Hank Shaw’s Buck, Buck, Moose cookbook he has an excellent recipe for bulgogi. I made a roast with it. But I think I’ll try slicing against the grain and then marinading like you did to get flavor on every bit instead of just the outside!

It really depends on the individual animal....its age, time of year, condition, field care, etc. that said, my rank with caveats...

Sheep
Moose
Mountain goat (flavor always excellent, can be VERY tough if not young - but if so is fantastic burger)
Black bear (if a berry bear in good condition)
Elk
Pronghorn/deer

All the above could be completly re-ordered depending on what was mentioned in the first sentence. Truthfully its almost all good if its a healthy animal and is well taken care of. Its its old and mature you are going to have to adjust and grind or go for a long slow braise vs. if its a young animal.

ps - forgot caribou, its got a lot going on, but if its not in rut and has been taken care of its great in its own way (finer texture, dark/rich) - kind of like pronghorn is unique but great.

jmez

WKR
Yeah I removed the fat. I'm pretty meticulous when trimming my game meat.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jspradley

WKR
In no particular order my favorites are

Nilgai (OK so this is #1 in my book)
Squirrel/Rabbit
Good ol fashioned whitetail
Feral Piggie
Teal ducks

Last edited:

CJF

WKR
Haven't seen sandhill cranes on here....not saying its the best but it's pretty tasty fare

How do you age it?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
In ohio I hang it my cousins cooler for a week or so. I would like longer but
I need to get back to Florida.
In Alabama I dont age it.
I have no idea how to age it properly if its qtr’d or cut up.
Someone else might have info on that.