Best Optics for around $1,000 USD

Jjustus16

FNG
I’ll admit, I’ve only been hunting deer and waterfowl in Indiana my whole life. I now have a big boy job and plan on doing hunting trips with my dad in the future.
I have several rifles and am looking for a scope to slap on a 7 mag to use for big game. I’ve found tons of information, but wanted to get opinions on the best bang for your buck right around $1k. I can’t imagine I’d ever need x60 zoom, so something in the 4-30x40 range seems to fit the bill.

I was looking at a VX-III, Athlon Ares BTR, and an Athlon Midas Tac. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There is absolutely zero need for a 30X optic on a hunting rifle, not to mention 30X in a $1K optic is going to have glass quality that is going to be like looking through a coke bottle on the upper half of the mag range. I also wouldn't buy a single one of those options, the VX3's are pretty meh compared to whats on the market now and the other two are chinese/phillipino garbage.

$1K will get you a new Tract Toric 2.5-15, a used NF SHV 4-14, Bushnell LRHS or LRHS 2 3-12 or 4.5-18, and a handful of other better optics.

TxLite

WKR
I think the 2.5-15x42 Trijicon Credo at Eurooptic is calling your name.

Last edited:
OP
Jjustus16

Jjustus16

FNG
Thanks for the quick answers guys. I knew the athlons were made in the Philippines, but people said the glass was insane for the price. I’m gonna dive deep into some of your suggestions.

Apparently the ares spotting scope is also a no-go. What are your suggestions for a 65mm obj lens sporting scope from 700-1,000?

MThuntr

WKR
There is absolutely zero need for a 30X optic on a hunting rifle
^^THIS.

Sounds like while the OP is not new to shooting, he's new to western hunting. It's likely going to be shooting much closer than you think. It's not like what you see on YouTube and a lot can happen at distance that you need to focus on more than zoom.

Look at something in the 12-18x as a max and spend as much time behind the rifle as possible. Even a 9x scope will do well for most situations. By backing down on the max power, you'll also see a lot of scopes pop up in your price range.

You're also going to need to decide MOA vs MIL, FFP vs SFP, tube diameter, turrets or capped. Then you can start looking for a scope.

madgrad02

WKR
I can't speak of the other ones mentioned as I haven't had my hands on most of them (Tract, Trijicon, etc.)... I am in no way saying mine are equal, but have been extremely happy with my (now 2) Athlon Ares ETR 3-18x, and considering I got both mine for less than $600 each, I can't complain, other than being boat anchors/heavy. Maybe I am just the lucky.

OP
Jjustus16

Jjustus16

FNG
There is absolutely zero need for a 30X optic on a hunting rifle, not to mention 30X in a $1K optic is going to have glass quality that is going to be like looking through a coke bottle on the upper half of the mag range. I also wouldn't buy a single one of those options, the VX3's are pretty meh compared to whats on the market now and the other two are chinese/phillipino garbage.

$1K will get you a new Tract Toric 2.5-15, a used NF SHV 4-14, Bushnell LRHS or LRHS 2 3-12 or 4.5-18, and a handful of other better optics.
Not getting anything to come up with those bushnell LRHS. Assuming the acronym is long range hunting scope?

MThuntr

WKR
bushnell LRHS
These Bushnell models come and go. The LRHS has been discontinued for a few years. Sometimes they pop up in classifieds. The LRHS2 was commission by GA Precision and they sold out last spring. They pop up for around $900ish. Another recent LRST was model though I'm not sure they were as popular.

My preference on all of my FFP hunting scope is to have illuminated reticles...I feel it is a must for low light situations. Check regs of where you're planning to hunt to confirm legality (many states allow them now).

SFP scopes tend to have a thicker reticle and illumination isn't usually necessary. The Zeiss V4 would be my choice in the SFP category that has covered windage and the ability to dial.

I wish I could comment on spotters. I have an Ares and it's ok for my needs...confirming animal is worth looking at before I make a plan. Kowa will beat the hell out of the Ares any day but you will pay $. Personally, I'd spend my money on a great pair of binos with a tripod adapter before I bought a spotter.

Last edited: