Convince me to buy a maven s.2 12-27x56 (or convince me not to.)

Jjustus16

FNG
Alright guys. I’ve researched ferociously and came to you a few times for guidance, but I think I’m finally zeroed in on what will be best suited for my needs.

Athlon Ares 15-45x65
Athlon Ares 15-45x85
Maven CS1 15-45x65
Maven S.2 12-27x56

I was really narrowed down to the top 3, but ran across the S2. I see that it uses flourite and has great reviews online, but the zoom is significantly lower than the other models.

Is 45x zoom really necessary though? What is the top of my glassing range at 27x zoom? I’m assuming with elite glass, I won’t run into any issues when maxing out it’s capabilities like I’ve heard happens in some of the lower end models (Athlon Argos.)

Disclaimer: I would really love to have some kowa 55’s or 66’s, but it’s just not in the budget. Please refrain from suggesting stuff that is above 1100 USD. With that being said I’m still open to suggestions.

I have a lead for the 85mm Ares priced at 600, so that’s why those are included. I would really prefer to stay around 60mm for weight savings.

Thanks in advance. You guys have been awesome and I really appreciate the knowledge.

OP
Jjustus16

Jjustus16

FNG
Is the Nikon ed 50, 60, and 82 hype real? I’m seeing them without eyepieces on eBay for anywhere from 300-600. A lot cheaper than everything on this list and I’ve seen those models thrown around quite a bit on other threads.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Athlon Ares G2 15-45x65 UHD is a great scope and we have some, as new, open box units for only $549.99.
  • UHD Glass: Extra-low dispersion glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings an ultimate clearest and sharpest image to your eyes
  • Interchangeable: Eyepiece Interchangeable Eyepiece allows you to swap the standard variable power eyepiece with a fixed 24 power eyepiece with a MIL ranging reticle in it.
  • ESP Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Aluminum Alloy Chassis: Aluminum alloy chassis offers you the strength of a metal chassis and the life time durability.
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Bak4 Prism: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes thus will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced Fully Multi-Coated: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses bring you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Rotating Ring: Rotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I almost bought this spotter a few years back, but ended up deciding to keep saving knowing that down the road I'd want to upgrade it anyway. I saved for another year and bought the Kowa 773 and couldn't be happier. I don't think having 27x on the high end would be very useful for the way I use my spotter. I use 40x and higher a lot when conditions allow.

If someone's option is going into the backcountry with 10X binos, and nothing else, or also taking a spotter with 27X, I don't see how you can say 27X useless. It's going to give him alot better look at anything he is trying to evaluate than if he only had the 10X binos.

@Jjustus16 , I know a backpack sheep hunter who can afford any glass he wants, and he told me he is very happy with his S.2 12-27x56

OP
Jjustus16

Jjustus16

FNG
If someone's option is going into the backcountry with 10X binos, and nothing else, or also taking a spotter with 27X, I don't see how you can say 27X useless. It's going to give him alot better look at anything he is trying to evaluate than if he only had the 10X binos.

@Jjustus16 , I know a backpack sheep hunter who can afford any glass he wants, and he told me he is very happy with his S.2 12-27x56
I was planning on picking up a pair of x10 Binos to pair with it. I’m really interested in the S2 because it is a flourite piece at about half the price of Kowa’s similar models. However, a lot of guys have steered me towards the old Nikon ED III 60’s with a fixed eyepiece (these are the ones that were made in Japan, not the newer ones like the ED50.) That spotter and eyepiece can be had for about 500 on eBay.

Do you have any knowledge or experience with that spotter? If it’s true that I can get great results from a 500 dollar piece, I will just go with that.

I’m asking lots of questions because optics are really out of my scope of expertise (pun intended.) I appreciate you guys steering me in the right direction.

I was planning on picking up a pair of x10 Binos to pair with it. I’m really interested in the S2 because it is a flourite piece at about half the price of Kowa’s similar models. However, a lot of guys have steered me towards the old Nikon ED III 60’s with a fixed eyepiece (these are the ones that were made in Japan, not the newer ones like the ED50.) That spotter and eyepiece can be had for about 500 on eBay.

Do you have any knowledge or experience with that spotter? If it’s true that I can get great results from a 500 dollar piece, I will just go with that.

I’m asking lots of questions because optics are really out of my scope of expertise (pun intended.) I appreciate you guys steering me in the right direction.
I do not have any experience with Nikon. Be sure to check weights on different spotters if that is a consideration for you.

Also, you may want to take a look at this. These normally retail for $699

Northpark

WKR
I have the maven and have no desire to go up. Especially for the price. Does it compare to my buddies 60x swaro? No. But I’m not counting sheep rings like he is. I use mine for confirming coues bucks at a mile. I glass with binos and only pull the spotter out for specific things and using my phone scope. The 27x is plenty for me and superior for me. I used to have the ares 15-45x65. I liked the weight savings I got going maven 12-27x56 and I works for me.

OspreyZB

Lil-Rokslider
Do yourself a favor and just buy a Nikon fieldscope ED III. You won't be disappointed. Just make sure you know what you're looking for, because a lot of the sellers on ebay don't know what they're selling... I often see non-ED fieldscopes listed as ED, ED 2's listed as ED 3's, etc. The non-ED 3 is good up to around 30x, then the image quality starts to fall off, while the ED version is tack sharp all the way up to 60x when conditions allow. The ED version also has better contrast/ more "pop" than the non-ED across the entire magnification range, and with fixed power eyepieces as well. The ED 2 is very good optically, but it lacks full-waterproofing, and it is front heavy because the tripod mounting foot is all the way back near the eyepiece end.

OP
Jjustus16

Jjustus16

FNG
Do yourself a favor and just buy a Nikon fieldscope ED III. You won't be disappointed. Just make sure you know what you're looking for, because a lot of the sellers on ebay don't know what they're selling... I often see non-ED fieldscopes listed as ED, ED 2's listed as ED 3's, etc. The non-ED 3 is good up to around 30x, then the image quality starts to fall off, while the ED version is tack sharp all the way up to 60x when conditions allow. The ED version also has better contrast/ more "pop" than the non-ED across the entire magnification range, and with fixed power eyepieces as well. The ED 2 is very good optically, but it lacks full-waterproofing, and it is front heavy because the tripod mounting foot is all the way back near the eyepiece end.
Messaging you.

Without knowing your intended use, I don't know how we can guide you on a purchase.
That said, preowned high-end Nikon is a pretty good bet.