Best Optics for around $1,000 USD

I’ll admit, I’ve only been hunting deer and waterfowl in Indiana my whole life. I now have a big boy job and plan on doing hunting trips with my dad in the future.
I have several rifles and am looking for a scope to slap on a 7 mag to use for big game. I’ve found tons of information, but wanted to get opinions on the best bang for your buck right around $1k. I can’t imagine I’d ever need x60 zoom, so something in the 4-30x40 range seems to fit the bill.

I was looking at a VX-III, Athlon Ares BTR, and an Athlon Midas Tac. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I’ve got Athlon ares ETR new in box I’d sell if interested. I believe hands down best scope for $1000 just don’t need right now.

Maverick1

WKR
Thanks for the quick answers guys. I knew the athlons were made in the Philippines, but people said the glass was insane for the price. I’m gonna dive deep into some of your suggestions.

Apparently the ares spotting scope is also a no-go. What are your suggestions for a 65mm obj lens sporting scope from 700-1,000?
It is highly unlikely that you "need" a spotting scope.

manitou1

WKR
Thanks for the quick answers guys. I knew the athlons were made in the Philippines, but people said the glass was insane for the price. I’m gonna dive deep into some of your suggestions.

Apparently the ares spotting scope is also a no-go. What are your suggestions for a 65mm obj lens sporting scope from 700-1,000?
The Ares 65 mm spotter is a great spotter for the $. Why would it be a "no-go"?

OP
Jjustus16

Jjustus16

FNG
110% would buy an SWFA 5-20×50 SS HD. They are on sale right now for $780 non illuminated and $900 illuminated.
Seen that tossed around a few times. They’re that good? I was really leaning towards a Nightforce SHV now.

Not getting anything to come up with those bushnell LRHS. Assuming the acronym is long range hunting scope?

They’re discontinued aside from whatever GAP has a run of made but they pop up every week or so used here and on the hide. The LRTS is a little more common is seems but the LRHS has the better reticle for hunting.

OP
Jjustus16

Jjustus16

FNG
The Ares 65 mm spotter is a great spotter for the $. Why would it be a "no-go"?
A lot of people are saying they’re junk from the Philippines. I’m the first guy to support the workforce, but other countries make great products. Look at the 4Runner for example.

A lot of people are saying they’re junk from the Philippines. I’m the first guy to support the workforce, but other countries make great products. Look at the 4Runner for example.

Japanese vehicles and optics are great. Made overseas isn’t all the same. Chinese and Phillipino optics are shit.

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
Which one?

I use a custom turret on each rifle, so I want as clear a field of view as possible. There's a lot of good scopes out there, but in my (and a lot of editorial) opinion nothing touches Tract for the money.

Might read this before buying a Tract. Or look at any of the threads the Tract guys have participated in.

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
Might read this before buying a Tract. Or look at any of the threads the Tract guys have participated in.

Good to know that if someone buys a 3rd-hand used scope, drops it 15 times and still intends to hunt with it, Tract will replace it no questions asked. Compared to the $2500 KnigtForce (well outside the OPs budget), i'd say not bad.

Good to know that if someone buys a 3rd-hand used scope, drops it 15 times and still intends to hunt with it, Tract will replace it no questions asked. Compared to the $2500 KnigtForce (well outside the OPs budget), i'd say not bad.
Or…you can go buy an SHV or a Credo for under $1000 and have a scope that will withstand some abuse and hold zero.

Actually, Phillipine optics can be very good. Do some research.

They probably could be but they just aren’t. They don’t have anywhere near the reliability of Japanese, USA, or European scopes. Fine for a range toy if the worst that happens is bad day at the range, but not fine for a hunting rifle.

JGRaider

WKR
Agreed, that test was a joke. Funny how the internet commandos like to pass judgment on scopes they've never used, or even seen in real life. It's always entertaining.

JGRaider

WKR
They probably could be but they just aren’t. They don’t have anywhere near the reliability of Japanese, USA, or European scopes. Fine for a range toy if the worst that happens is bad day at the range, but not fine for a hunting rifle.
In certain applications, Burris FFII's are very reliable scopes with more than adequate optics.