Best Optics for around $1,000 USD

In certain applications, Burris FFII's are very reliable scopes with more than adequate optics.

I've sent several of them back for failures. I've got a 2-7 on my muzzle loader that I need to send back too because there's guts rattling around inside of it. None of them tracked worth a **** either, rarely would a click move POI 1/4MOA, more like 1-1.5" or whatever it feels like.

No, they are not reliable optics. When this one gets replaced (Burris doesn't even repair them, they just give you another) it will be sold and something else will take its place.

JGRaider

WKR
Too many accolades and endorsements from actual use out there, especially on 24HCF for me to take your word as the gospel (and vice versa for that matter). We'll agree to disagree on this one.

Seen that tossed around a few times. They’re that good? I was really leaning towards a Nightforce SHV now.
They are durable and reliable. At the sale price they are a no brainer. The only downside is the weight. If you buy one and don't like it you can sell it on here and recoup your money.

I’ll admit, I’ve only been hunting deer and waterfowl in Indiana my whole life. I now have a big boy job and plan on doing hunting trips with my dad in the future.
I have several rifles and am looking for a scope to slap on a 7 mag to use for big game. I’ve found tons of information, but wanted to get opinions on the best bang for your buck right around $1k. I can’t imagine I’d ever need x60 zoom, so something in the 4-30x40 range seems to fit the bill.

I was looking at a VX-III, Athlon Ares BTR, and an Athlon Midas Tac. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Are you possibly confusing objective size and magnification?

4th_point

WKR
Apparently the ares spotting scope is also a no-go. What are your suggestions for a 65mm obj lens sporting scope from 700-1,000?
An older used 60mm Nikon Fieldscope ED or 66mm Kowa XD. I have experience with a couple of the Nikons, but not the Kowa however it has an equally good reputation from discerning users. Resolution and image quality should be good all the way to 60x with either. Downside is FOV and eye relief with zoom eyepieces. With something like a fixed 24x or 30x the image can be extremely good.

I have not looked at the Ares, but checked out one sample of the Cabela's version. Supposedly both are made by Bosma and appear to be the same optic. I was not impressed with the Bosma. Nowhere close to the ones mentioned above, in my opinion.

Fatcamp

WKR
I have a 65mm 1st Gen Razor and a 664 Kowa with a 30x. The Kowa costs more and is better. Throw on a Phonescope and use the zoom of the phone if needed.

That said, for the money I really like my Razor.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Might read this before buying a Tract. Or look at any of the threads the Tract guys have participated in.

Wow