Factory ammo for practice

I have a tikka 7mm08, a 308 tikka take off barrel, and a 3006 tikka barrel.

I don't own a 223 but would like one. That likely isn't happening until next year. I'm trying to figure out the best option for practice factory ammo for getting out to 6-800 yards and would like the ammo to be as affordable as possible. Say, no more than $1.20/round if possible.

Are there any 308 factory ammo options that can regularly be found for that budget and be useful in practice to 700-800?

30-06 is probably no better than 308.

About the cheapest 7mm-08 I've found is $1/round and no telling if it'd be worthwhile (ppu or prvi). I don't know if the American whitetail is useful for practice to 700, but would think maybe not since it's the interlock flatbase bullet. I think I saw that for $1.25/round.

Am I better off waiting until next year and saving that money for the 223 and ammo?

OP
H
Not sure. I've never shot the 308 barrel. Have only shot the Hornady reduced recoil out of the 7mm08 other than handloads, and I think the blue box federal shot ok out of the '06, but that was a few years ago. I've mostly handloaded for that too.

Macintosh

WKR
I just bought a flat of good 308 ammo for 1.20/round. Also did same price with 6.5cm match ammo recently. 7-08 in my experience is much harder to find exactly the type of ammo I want if price is a consideration (it is for me for practice ammo). In my case I got a better price because I bought by the flat. Ammoseek is your friend. All other things being equal Id highly prefer the one with lowest recoil for any volume of shooting, especially if thats a lite or superlite tikka.

OP
H
I just bought a flat of good 308 ammo for 1.20/round. Also did same price with 6.5cm match ammo recently. 7-08 in my experience is much harder to find exactly the type of ammo I want if price is a consideration (it is for me for practice ammo). In my case I got a better price because I bought by the flat. Ammoseek is your friend. All other things being equal Id highly prefer the one with lowest recoil for any volume of shooting, especially if thats a lite or superlite tikka.

Yes it's a Tikka lite, factory stock. I was going for lighter recoil, if possible.

I've been looking on ammoseak.... And have been wondering how many of those retailers listed are scam sites.

Macintosh

WKR
I just google the company name, reviews, etc. ammoseek also has reviews in the retailers and a shipping speed. Ive even callled and spoken to a person. Theres been a few places I shied away from, but mostly everything Ive ordered from has been great, especially if I have a few days and am not expecting an Amazon level of automation, etc. also search company names here, many of the bad apples will come up in a search. After that, you play your cards and take your chances.

11boo

WKR
see what’s available in bulk. Buy a few different brands of that, shoot it and then buy 1k of the best. Plenty of .308 out there for around a buck right now, some less.

Magma

Lil-Rokslider
175 gr federal gold medal match seems to be the gold standard. I have great results with the 168 federal match but it falls apart around 700 yds

H80Hunter

WKR
I have a Ruger American 308 that the American whitetail stuff shoots great out of. Can get here for like $24.99 a box. I’ve shot it out to 600 fine.